Nova Pen Plus Jaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

It's here. Confirmed there are 2 holes on each jaw. Well 1x whole hole, and 1x 3/4+ hole where the screws go. No screws were included in the box. I know I have them, but seems like they'd put 4 screws in there. There's not that much cost on that.

LagniappeRob

Here... haven't mounted them yet, but I think this will show what you want.

Attachments

• jaws-small.jpg
    jaws-small.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 936

edstreet

ok that is weird. it is going to take a long bit to reach that area. In truth you can probably just use the outer screw, esp with that quarter circle ridge on the bottom.

Dan Masshardt

ok that is weird. it is going to take a long bit to reach that area. In truth you can probably just use the outer screw, esp with that quarter circle ridge on the bottom.

A T-handle key should fit no problem is think. I forget the exact size of these screws but harbor freight has sets of the long T handles cheap.

Dave Turner

I've been very happy with my pin jaw set for drilling blanks, but I ordered these Pen Plus jaws because I'd like to compare them and Father's Day is coming up - can't have too many toys!

I always turn my blanks between centers to knock off the corners. Then I put them into the pin jaws and drill them. If you don't do this step you really don't get the center of the blank you are off by whatever the dimensions of the blank are off. The only way to ensure you are perfectly on center is to know where that center is and make sure the blank is turning on that center. Using this method you can make center where ever you want it.

For instance if I screw up and make a segment that is not centered I can just move the center of the blank to that spot and drill away after I turn the blank between centers that I choose. Then I can put the blank in my chuck and it will rotate on the new center that I made.

I have the pin jaw set, and it works fine for drilling blanks. If I didn't already have it, I'd definately buy this new set.

I don't know if I'd saw "fine". It works ok - usually. A few times I've taken as long or longer to setup drilling long holes (like realistic cigars). I have the PSI for pen blanks, and it did well for a while but one of the jaws has taken a lean to the outside. I haven't taken it apart to see what's going on. Looking at these I think these will be my go to (hopefully).

edstreet

A T-handle key should fit no problem is think. I forget the exact size of these screws but harbor freight has sets of the long T handles cheap.

If they are like other jaws the screws are universal.
262601_4119207180402_630491398_n.jpg

Teknatool also has the spares on the website.
NOVA Chuck Fastening Spares

They list
8 x M6 Screws
1 x M3 Allen Key/Wrench
1 x M4 Allen Key/Wrench
1 x M6 Grubscrew
1 x Fibre Washer

The M3 key, grubscrew and washer is for the insert adapter.

I suppose any long Allen shaft M4 should fit nicely in there, Afterall the jaw grip length is 1 1/2" so 2"+ should fit.

LagniappeRob

Just chucked up a couple blanks. I promised my better half Tammy a particular pen from a Chipped Mint and Chocolate Euro Blank from ClassicNib, and 1 for inventory. It did beautifully as expected. Nice tight grip. No play. The Allen key that came with the chuck originally is long enough to put the inner screws in.

One thing I need to look closer at. It felt tighter when I left the blank above the screw holes. So 1/4" or so from the bottom. It gripped fine and the only place I saw a noticeable mark (like I care since it's going to be turned anyway) was on the paper label.

Short answer: I like it better than pIn jaws or the smaller PSI chuck.

edstreet

:BIG SIGH:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
TEKNATOOL USA INC. just sent you a refund
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jun 18, 2013 12:51:45 PDT | Transaction ID: xxxxxxxx

Dear Ed Street,

TEKNATOOL USA INC. just sent you a full refund of $53.98 USD for your purchase.
If you have any questions about this refund, please contact TEKNATOOL USA INC..
The refund will go to your PayPal account.
To see all the transaction details, please log into your PayPal account. It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Merchant information:
TEKNATOOL USA INC.
usaservicefl@teknatool.com

Notes from merchant:
Due to a Technical problem with Pay Pal and Go-Daddy. The Beta Run forThe Nova Pen plus jaw set was oversold.
Therefore Orders will be cancelled and refunds issued. Sorry for the inconvenience. Stock may become available late August. Keep a look out!!

Original transaction details
Payment details

Shipping and handling: $13.99 USD
Insurance: N/A

Total: $53.98 USD

Refund to PayPal Balance: $53.98 USD

Invoice Number: xxxxxxxx

Sincerely,
PayPal

Nuff said.

Now lets see those jaws put to good use!!!

keithbyrd

Received my jaws yesterday - awesome - I needed to make a finial for a statesman pen and just chuck up a piece of the blank I made the pen from and turned it out - too easy!

eliasbboy

Mine came in the mail Friday and I finally had a chance to play with them today.

The allen wrench include with my original Nova is long enough to use length-wise and turn the screw in the bottom of the "flute". Coincidentally, I also received my large pen blank drilling vice from PSI on the same day. I had already ordered that when this thread came up. I will most likely keep the Nova and return the PSI, but I need to tinker some more.

edstreet

Mine came in the mail Friday and I finally had a chance to play with them today.

The allen wrench include with my original Nova is long enough to use length-wise and turn the screw in the bottom of the "flute". Coincidentally, I also received my large pen blank drilling vice from PSI on the same day. I had already ordered that when this thread came up. I will most likely keep the Nova and return the PSI, but I need to tinker some more.

How about a side by side compare? Would be interesting to see that.

OK a few notes about these new pen jaws. They are massive compared to the pin jaws. This allows me to mount my blank in them and easily be able to see the back of the blank while drilling. I really like this as I can see exactly what is going on with the entire blank as I drill. The pin jaws are just short enough some of the blank is quite a ways back so I really have to work to see what is going on. This is especially difficult when I am trying to watch my segments for signs of stress.

The pen jaws have a nice large area behind the jaw that allows the corners of the blank to not come into play. This means that if you have a blank that is not square that will be taken out of the drilling equation when you actually clamp down on it. Also these jaws take a very large bite and hold thing very stable.

These jaws also open up much wider than the pin jaws and this means that I can put a larger blank into it. I have often had a blank that is just a little too large to fit diagonally in the pin jaws. This will not be an issue at all with these.

Last but not least. These are powerful jaws you can really clamp down on them if you want to. Not that this is really necessary but these jaws are definitely big boy jaws.

I am very happy that I purchased them, they will be my standard jaws for pen drilling.

Hope this helps you all.

Whaler

Mine came today so I had to drill a couple blanks. I am impressed, the jaws are beautifully machined and definitely heavy duty. I tried it on my G3 and Super Nova 2, worked fine on both but they will reside on the Super Nova 2, much nicer chuck to use.

Attachments

• Jaws1.jpg
    Jaws1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 538
  • Jaws3.jpg
    Jaws3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Jaws4.jpg
    Jaws4.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 389

KenV

If you do not want to wait -- and with shipping the cost was less. Nova wanted a lot for shipping USPS to Alaska.

The Pen Jaws for the Sorby Patriot Chuck interchange with the Nova jaws.

Robert Sorby Patriot Chuck at The Best Things

About 2/3 of the way down the page.

The Best Things has been around for a good while, and have purchased tools from there from time to time over the years. Always satisfied with quality and service. But they are not a pen turning vendor.

healeydays

So now that you guys have had the NOVA Pen Plus Jaws for a couple months now, do you still love it? I have been wearing out drill bits as I have been using mine alot. One concern is I wish it would be able to grab a little smaller material. The other one is I wish I had a auto turning tailstock handwheel cause after 20 blanks, I'm starting to feel it...

Mike B

KenV

Note that the Sorby Patriot jaws including the pen drilling jaws do fit the Nova Chuck. The Sorby jaws were a bit less expensive with shipping than the Nova jaws.

keithbyrd

I am REALLY liking mine -:biggrin: they are super to work with!:biggrin::biggrin:

So now that you guys have had the NOVA Pen Plus Jaws for a couple months now, do you still love it? I have been wearing out drill bits as I have been using mine alot. One concern is I wish it would be able to grab a little smaller material. The other one is I wish I had a auto turning tailstock handwheel cause after 20 blanks, I'm starting to feel it...

Mike B

hazmat74

Quick question on these jaws: Where do you order them from?? I've been to the teknatool site and their "order online" link goes to some page that isn't even built yet. I've gone to a bunch of their dealers from their dealer pages, but can't find a single one carrying the Pen Plus jaws. I'd like to order a set this weekend, but can't do that if I can't figure out where to order from. Help!

tool-man

The Technatool link does not work for me either.
Try eBay, item # 321196464720
Buy it now $39.99 with free shipping. Claims to be a Nova authorized on line retailer. Listing says more than 10 are available. (I have no connection with this seller, have not bought from him before.)
Quick question on these jaws: Where do you order them from?? I've been to the teknatool site and their "order online" link goes to some page that isn't even built yet. I've gone to a bunch of their dealers from their dealer pages, but can't find a single one carrying the Pen Plus jaws. I'd like to order a set this weekend, but can't do that if I can't figure out where to order from. Help!

stonepecker

I have read every comment twice. Finally talked myself into ordering a set today.
Hope that this will solve my drilling problems.

Any more comments about them from the guys who have them would be welcomed.

Top Bottom