How Bad are the Best?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

I mostly turn pens, but I do occasionally have a go at bowl turning. I use a cheap "Benjamin's Best" bowl gouge from PSI. The first 3 cuts or so after sharpening are really smooth, easy, and fun; after that, it's just OK because the tool is "kinda sharp". For a small bowl, I end up sharpening 3-4 times to keep turning the fun sharp cuts. How much longer will a "good" bowl gouge hold that awesome cutting edge? I would just get one and see, but I'm trying to stay on a budget and that would cut in to penmaking fun.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If you don't l like to sharpen much check out Thompson Lathe Tools... Compare his steel to all elses! I also use several from Sorby, but most coming from England (Sheffield area) will be good.

I attended a demo by the Product Development Manager from Sorby this past fall at our local woodcraft store (same fellow in their UTube videos). He started with a sharp tool, then every 4-5 minutes would use a small diamond file (1' x 5" approximately) to bring out the burr which is what you usually want.

Enjoy!

Wildman

Sometimes making your own handles will save more than a few dollars.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...re_Code=packard&Category_Code=tools-pn-bowlgo

Packard's house brand is made by Hamelt.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...tore_Code=packard&Category_Code=tools-pkrd-bg

Can always check vendors for sales or buy more than one tool at a time to save a few bucks too.

I like both V & U shape bowl gouges so like Thompson tools and buy unhandled. Many new turners prefer the U shape more.
http://thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=BV
http://thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=BU

Some woods with high mineral content will send you back to the grinder more often than you like, but necessary!

Last edited:

KenV

Frequent sharpening on bowl work is not uncommon. Bens Best are high speed steel and the ones I have used have a decent heat treat. They tend to work better than the bottom end, like Harbor Freight.

On bowl work, you refresh the edge when it "could be sharper" and avoid going to "dull".

I have a diamond slip in my pocket and touch the edge several times before heading to the grinder. Some just make the trip.

Note that you are just removing a very very small amount of metal -- quick kiss for a fresh edge.

Some woods with high silica content send you to the grinder frequently regardless of the tool quality, but steels with better wearablity will be less frequent trips.

low_48

Of course, you get what you pay for once again. I prefer the Thompson V bowl gouges with the Michelsen grind. I did a bunch of 18" diameter bowls last year. I did core out two bowls from the inside, but started sharp, and sharpened 3 times total. Hauled out 45 gallons of curls, soft maple.

Joe S.

Frequent sharpening on bowl work is not uncommon. Bens Best are high speed steel and the ones I have used have a decent heat treat. They tend to work better than the bottom end, like Harbor Freight.

On bowl work, you refresh the edge when it "could be sharper" and avoid going to "dull".

I have a diamond slip in my pocket and touch the edge several times before heading to the grinder. Some just make the trip.

Note that you are just removing a very very small amount of metal -- quick kiss for a fresh edge.

Some woods with high silica content send you to the grinder frequently regardless of the tool quality, but steels with better wearablity will be less frequent trips.

The diamond slip would be nice, I will look into that. Thanks!

Joe S.

Of course, you get what you pay for once again. I prefer the Thompson V bowl gouges with the Michelsen grind. I did a bunch of 18" diameter bowls last year. I did core out two bowls from the inside, but started sharp, and sharpened 3 times total. Hauled out 45 gallons of curls, soft maple.

The biggest bowls my lathe could handle is 10"-11", so maybe with a Thompson I could do an average bowl with one trip to the grinder with 2-3 slipstone honings? Sounds like that might be worth giving up some pen kits. Thanks!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hey Joe

Would you like to try out some Thompson Tools? I can send you 3 and you can play with them for a few weeks. )I'm shifting back into pens for the next 2 months - won't need them). NO PROBLEM on my end! $10 bucks in shipping - have some fun - see if the cost warrants the tool. Just a thought!

If sounds OK, PM me your address... They will just sit here until spring!

Dan Masshardt

I notice a fairly substantial difference between a bb bowl gouge and the crown and sorby ones I have. The bb aren't too bad though if you don't use it that much.

That said, you might want to find the size you like most and buy a better quality one. I've gotten quite a few tools off eBay.

robutacion

Hey Joe

Would you like to try out some Thompson Tools? I can send you 3 and you can play with them for a few weeks. )I'm shifting back into pens for the next 2 months - won't need them). NO PROBLEM on my end! $10 bucks in shipping - have some fun - see if the cost warrants the tool. Just a thought!

If sounds OK, PM me your address... They will just sit here until spring!

Wow, a very generous offer/gesture indeed, I don't see these very often...!

Good on you, Mark...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom