Nova Infinity quick change chuck (and convert your old one too)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

Nova has sent out an email introducing their new Infinity jaw... HOME

What I like is I can change out my existing G3 and adapt the jaws I already have. I'm going to have to keep my on this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I may be mistaken but it looks like the adapters are going to add up to a pretty penny.

I'm still not clear but it seems that we will need to buy an adapter for each old chuck at $150 and an adapter for each jaw set at $50. I hope that this is not that case, but...

I was talking with Nova a while back about this and the prices will be fairly reasonable. I am pretty sure that it will be a LOT cheaper than the EWT chuck though

Levi Woodard
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

edstreet

chuck is not cheap @ $350. Upgrade for g3/supernova2/titan/midi to use infinity jaws $150, retrofit for infinity setup to use current jaws $40.

Looks like the retrofit screws into current jaws and allows the quick change option. While the upgrade is new slide rails to accept the infinity jaws. From this there is nothing about using the existing jaws on an existing G3 or supernova2 via a quick change. For that to happen it sounds like we would need the retrokit for each set of jaws and the upgrade kit for the chuck.

So from that upgrade for my G3 and the jaw sets I have is 1", 2x 2", 4" and cole jaws; 4 in total. So $150 + 4x$40 = $310. Now on top of that I have a supernova2 which I would also need the upgrade kit for that, toss in another $150 to yield a whopping $460. Stands to logic for that $ I could easily buy 2x more chucks (add the 2x I already have) and just swap the chuck out with dedicated jaws and come in $260 cheaper.

Sorry this is not an 'upgrade'.

I looked at the wrong price- sorry however the easy chuck is $500 (I think) so that is a little better.

Levi Woodard

LagniappeRob

The easy chuck dropped to $399 - I suspect after disappointing sales. Still too high IMHO.

If this is going to be up there like that, I won't be buying. Especially if after I convert my G3 chuck I'd have to pony up for the jaw adapter pieces for all my jaws or move them which defeats the purpose. I have hopes for this, but if it's that expensive I'll pass too. If they want this to catch on, they'll need to make it where converting the jaw sets over is very economical.

The easy chuck dropped to $399 - I suspect after disappointing sales. Still too high IMHO.

If this is going to be up there like that, I won't be buying. Especially if after I convert my G3 chuck I'd have to pony up for the jaw adapter pieces for all my jaws or move them which defeats the purpose. I have hopes for this, but if it's that expensive I'll pass too. If they want this to catch on, they'll need to make it where converting the jaw sets over is very economical.

I like the Ideas that are with that package but it is still a lot of money.

At those prices I would rather get a couple of refurbished chuck bodies and just have dedicated chucks for my most used jaws.

I might do this myself, I have been looking at the G3 when it is on sale for $109 any reviews on the quality. I have a Barracuda (PSI) 2 and it doesn't hold wood very securely.

kovalcik

Levi,
Are you using the stock jaws on the Barracuda? I replaced the standard #2 jaws with the #2 dovetail jaws (~$23) and they hold very well. I would say about as well as the Nova dovetail jaws but it is hard to compare since I use them on different lathes for different types of projects.

Last edited:
Standard jaws are what I am using. I looked at the dovetail jaws but some reviews said they don't work that well. I guess that would be better than what I have now though.

Levi Woodard

61op

Reading the instruction manual from the NOVA infinity chuck I found the sentence "do not use with any copyturner operations". As I found no reasonable translation into German, I sent a mail "teknatool US Service" for more information what is ment. As much more I was surprised as I got, instead of a clarification this answer.

"Hello Otto,

At this time....Please do not use the infinity products. The product is on hold. We will be contacting all persons who have purchased the product and asking them to be returned to us for a complete refund at this time. Instructions will be forth coming.

Regards Bob

therfore my question. Has anyone more information what´s the reason for this step?

Best regards from AUSTRIA
Otto

Crashmph

IMPORTANT NOTICE

PRECAUTIONARY RECALL

We regret to inform that we have recently found a potential over-hardness issue with some of Infinity Jaw Slides. As a precaution we are recalling this batch in the interest of our customers safety. We apologise for any inconvenience.
For more information, see here

LeeR

I find that the exercise I get removing and re-installing jaw screws is an excellent way to keep my wrist and finger muscles limber. And with 2 Nova chucks and 9-10 sets of jaws, I just saved a boatload of money.

Life is good ...

edstreet

I find that the exercise I get removing and re-installing jaw screws is an excellent way to keep my wrist and finger muscles limber. And with 2 Nova chucks and 9-10 sets of jaws, I just saved a boatload of money.

Life is good ...

Did you switch your insurance to save that boatload of money? ;)

Sorry, just had to bring in the obvious pun.

Top Bottom