4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slim line contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome to the Russ Fairfield Memorial Slimline Challenge Sponsored by Brooks Blanks. I would like to thank Jonathon for his generosity in sponsoring the Russ Fairfield Memorial Slimline Challenge.

This contest is dedicated to Russ Fairfield, a pioneer in the world of pen turning. Russ Fairfield began making pens in the late 1980's using the only pen kit available at the time – the Slimline. At first, wooden pens were enough of a novelty that Russ was able to sell them without having to make any modifications at all, but as more and more people began to make pens, he saw the need to branch out and offer a different product. He realized that he could make some simple changes to his Slimline pens that made them stand out from the pens that were being offered by the other pen turners at the time. Instead of just keeping his new designs to himself, Russ decided to openly share the modifications that he had developed. Throughout his turning career, Russ was always willing to answer questions and teach others what he had learned. He was not content to just make the same designs over and over, he continued to push his craft and discover new ways to make a pen. Much of what we do now, we do because he showed us how. Slims with homemade center bands, closed ended pens, and hidden clips all came from Russ. Without any actual face to face meetings, Russ taught many of today's finest pen makers a lot about what makes a good pen through his videos and web site. Russ taught new techniques, while cementing the importance of the fundamentals. The pen making community lost a wonderful mentor with Russ' passing. This contest is respectfully offered as a tribute to Russ Fairfield.

About the Contest

This contest is open to ALL members. New members would do well to enter since it will teach you how to make your pens different and unique, and you will learn techniques that will help in all your pen making.
The pen you make for this contest must follow the designs and teachings of Russ Fairfield. All of Russ' slimline pens were rooted in four basic designs. You will be using any of these designs to build your pen,
The "Russ Line"
The "Long Line"
The "J-Line"
The "Fat Line"
69796d1328903452-russ-fairfield-memorial-slimline-contest-fatline.jpg
71328d1330226687-russ-fairfield-memorial-slimline-contest-longline-01b.jpg

71020d1329886017-russ-fairfield-memorial-slimline-contest-p2220257.jpg

7ca785f2.jpg

Please try to keep your entry as close as possible to one of his designs but don't just copy his work, make a pen that Russ would have been proud to call one of his designs.
Sadly, Russ's website is no longer available for use as a resource by aspiring penmakers. The only reference we can provide are the four attached photos of Russ' designs.

The Rules For The Russ Fairfield Memorial Challenge Are;

1 – To participate in any IAP activity your profile must contain your first & last name and your city & state (or equivalent) of residence.

2 - Must use a Slimline kit as a basis for this contest.

3 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown anywhere on the Internet before Feb 1 2014.

4 – Entries are to be submitted via the entry form. Entries are not to be posted directly to the thread.

5- - All pens must be submitted by Feb. 17 2014 11:59pm EST.

6 - The winners will be chosen by how closely you follow Russ's teachings and designs as well as fit and finish. Take the best pictures you can since this is all we will have to judge the quality of the pen. To keep the thread to a manageable size I ask that you only post three (3) pictures per person please.

7 - A panel of judges will choose the top five (5) pens.

8- Final voting by poll to determine the winners will start no later than Friday the 21st
and finish on Monday the 24th

Winners will be announced on Feb. 25th. if no tie breaker polls are necessary.

Prizes for this contest are generously provided by Jonathon Brooks
1st place $150.00 worth of blanks
2nd Place $100.00 worth of Blanks
3rd Place $75.00 worth of Blanks
4th Place $50.00 worth of Blanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have two announcements to make
1-parklandturner -Ed McDonnell has graciously volunteered to chair the Russ Fairfield memorial slim line contest . I will be turning the contest over immediately To Ed although I will continue working on the contest as advisor.
2 The contest will be decided by two Polls the first one to narrow the field to 5 pens and then a final one to pick the winners.

If you have any questions you may ask them in this thread.

Ed McDonnell

If anyone has any questions you can PM me (click on "Parklandturner" to the left to send a private message) or post the question here. Questions regarding the Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest will get priority handling and premium quality answers. :) All other questions will also be answered, but there is no guarantee on promptness and / or quality for answers to non contest related questions.:biggrin:

Ed

Ed McDonnell

16 days left (including today) to enter your pen into the

Russ Fairfield Memorial Slimline Challenge Sponsored by Brooks Blanks

Don't wait too long to submit your entry. When it's time to post the poll for voting on the pens submitted I'll list them in the order received. Make sure you get your pen submitted early to get the very desirable top listings in the poll!!

And let's not forget our sponsor, Jonathon Brooks, is hard at work putting together a truly amazing group of blanks for the prize packages for this challenge. Those of you who have had the pleasure of working with Brooks Blanks know how great these prize packages are going to be. Those who haven't had a chance to work with a Brooks Blank now have the opportunity to find out what everybody has been raving about. AT NO COST!!! All you have to do is make a pen and submit a picture. You make pens all the time anyway, why not make one that you can enter in this challenge. We are talking Brooks Blanks here!!! Individual works of art. And four lucky winners will be getting a prize from Jonathon.

Don't miss out on this fantastic opportunity.

Ed

Brian G

So, who is planning on submitting an entry to the RFMMS Contest? Anyone brave enough to put a stake in the ground and declare themselves in?

I'll step up. In! :cool:

Thanks, Ed for leading this, and thanks Jonathon for sponsoring it.

First step is absorbing the information in the articles.

Ed McDonnell

Way to go Brian. Thanks for joining the competition. Based on the number of current entries, at the moment it looks like you have a really good shot at getting either first or second prize. Of course, the odds may get longer as we approach the entry deadline. :wink:

Anybody else ready, willing and able to step up? A chrome slimline kit can be had for under $2. And you don't even have to use all the parts. What have you got to lose?

Ed

Ed McDonnell

The rules for this challenge state that entries must use a slimline kit. Dan Masshardt noticed that entries in previous years used the clips from trimline kits. That is also the case with one of the example pictures posted in the initial post to this thread. The following is a rule clarification.

Entries must be based on a kit with two 7mm tubes that use a cross style refill.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

15 days to go. Plenty of time to make a pen and get it perfect. But why wait? No time like the present to make a Russ Fairfield inspired modified slimline pen. Not feeling inspired? Not really sure who Russ was? Maybe this will help.

This is Russ Fairfield:

Russ was personally responsible for a number of significant advancements in the art of pen making. Making a a modified slimline kit, inspired by Russ's designs, is a perfect way for new pen makers to hone their skills and take themselves closer to the next level. It's also a great way for the more advanced pen maker to reconnect with their pen making roots where they can now apply their artistic talents to achieve something that they may not have been able to imagine at an earlier point in their continuing development as a pen maker.

Don't miss out on this opportunity. Join the fun and make a pen.

Please note that we had a rules clarification. In case you missed it, here it is:

Entries must be based on a slimline kit, but clips from trimlines may be used.

Got questions? Ask away.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Woo Hoo!!!

We have our first entry from Saskatoon!! Thanks for jumping in Derrick.

This is now officially an "INTERNATIONAL" contest.

Ed

Who always wanted to use the word Saskatoon in a sentence, but never had the chance before this.....

Ed McDonnell

Hi Carl - That is correct.

All photos should be submitted to the contest using the form here:

The 4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest

No one should post pictures of their entry pen to any IAP forum (or anyplace else on the entire world wide web (including the darknet)) until after this contest is completed and in the history books.

The first time the pens will be posted will be when I post the initial poll for voting to select the final 5. That will be after the entry period closes on Feb 17.

Now if someone wants to post teaser pictures, that would be fine. Pictures of entrants working hard at creating their homage to Russ would be fun. Pictures that show someone's prowess as a pen maker could be interesting and amusing. But no pictures that in any way reveal your creation. We want to keep the voting as anonymous as possible. For example: If you are planning on making your pen out of solid gold, don't post a picture of the gold bar you are going to use as a teaser. People might be able to put two and two together. :rolleyes:

Now, if you have some teaser pictures that you can't post because it would allow people to match your pen with you, send them to me and I'll post them anonymously.

Hopefully that cleared things up. :)

Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm planning to enter.
I enjoy making modified slimlines & tried one of Russ' styles this weekend. It's ok, but not good enough to enter. Second try is in progress.

Ed

beck3906

The rules for this challenge state that entries must use a slimline kit. Dan Masshardt noticed that entries in previous years used the clips from trimline kits. That is also the case with one of the example pictures posted in the initial post to this thread. The following is a rule clarification.

Entries must be based on a kit with two 7mm tubes that use a cross style refill.

Ed

This change opens it to Euro style kits also. :rolleyes:

Ed McDonnell

I'm planning to enter.
I enjoy making modified slimlines & tried one of Russ' styles this weekend. It's ok, but not good enough to enter. Second try is in progress.

Ed

Welcome Ed. Glad to have you aboard. Two Eds are better than one!!:)

This change opens it to Euro style kits also. :rolleyes:

Hi Rick - Good observation. This was pointed out to me shortly after I issued that clarification and that resulted in me issuing further clarification. Here's the rule (which supersedes the post you quoted):

Entries must be based on a slimline kit, but clips from trimlines may be used.

You can read all about my adventures in rule clarfication here. It's a thrilling story.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f228/rule-clarification-119042/

Ed

Ed McDonnell

We have our first entry to the

4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest

which is sponsored by the superbly talented and supremely generous

Jonathon Brooks of Brooks Blanks.

The first entry is a real doozy (for our international friends, a doozy is a very good thing). How about the rest of you? Get those pens completed and entered. The entry form is here:

The 4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest

"I have a job and I don't have time to make a pen today!" you say. Well, tell your boss you have more important things to do and you are going spend the day making pens. When you tell them the prize is Brooks Blanks, they will understand. Ok...maybe they won't understand and the whole telling your boss that making pens is more important than work is a really bad idea. But you have to come home sometime. Your lathe will be waiting for you when you get home. Don't let it be lonely for too long.

Ed

Last edited:

Pete275

Ed McDonnell

Hi Wayne - A real beeyute might be awful tough to beat if you can pull it off. But that's going to be quite the challenge. Brian hasn't staked a claim to a humdinger yet, so that's still fair game if you want to try for that instead.

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I thought a Jim Dandy was some mystery meat in a package by the cash register.:laugh:

Ed McDonnell

I thought a Jim Dandy was some mystery meat in a package by the cash register.:laugh:

Well, I guess a Jim-Dandy made for this contest would have to be a Slim Jim. Now I'm wondering if someone could make a Russ Fairfield Inspired Modified Slimline pen out of a Slim Jim and actually win the contest. Seems like a stretch to me. :confused:

Ed

Brian G

Hi Brian - Nobody has submitted a real humdinger yet. You could always go for that now that doozy has been done. :)

Ed

:eek: umm. . .well, uh. . . where I grew up "humdinger" meant, uh. . . well, umm. . . ya see, the thing is, uh. . never mind.

Think I'll opt for a ripsnorter.

My attempt at a sockdolager failed. :frown:

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Warning! Warning!! Warning!!! Warning!!!!

If you have triskaidekaphobia, stop reading now and move to a different thread (but make sure you get an entry ready for the Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest (that's this contest, of course)).

Anyone still with me? Good. There are 13 days left. Everyone knows that 13 is the sixth prime number. That means today is the 6th most prime day for making a pen for this contest. What are you waiting for.

Already have your pen made, but you are holding off entering it? What on earth for. Get those pictures submitted. When I make up the poll for voting, the pens submitted first will be at the top of the poll. Numerous uber scientific research studies (paid for with your tax dollars) have proven that being listed at the top of a poll is a huge advantage. Not convinced? Let's test it out. I'm going to do a polling test (to make sure I can actually post a poll). Stay tuned.

Get those pens made and submitted. There's no day like today. And by tomorrow, today will be gone. Don't miss the opportunity.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

I cant believe you know what that is much less can spell it.

I've never had much trouble with the word "THAT". (see, I just got it right again). Words with "y" and "r" in them can sometimes give me touble because m keboad seems to not alwas recognize that (right again!!!) I pessed the ke.

Ed

Top Bottom