I noticed a trend here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Having a down day I decided to check something. It was mentioned in another post about getting a Wow page started that someone brought up a point about viewing SOYP. I never knew it and probably not many here knew it or know it. But if you click on a forum and go to the right side of the page you will see in the header total views and total replies. You click either one and it will show you the most viewed thread or if you click replies it will show you the thread with the most replies and it will list in descending order.

What I had noticed besides reliving some of the great old post and seeing names that I wish were still here, that this site has fallen off drastically in participation. Now we have more members than ever before but things are just not the same. Just from a quick look at a few of the forums, it looks like the years from 2008 -2010 were the most active. It looked like people liked talking more about pens and inventing new ideas and running with old ideas. Now i know there are more forums to read and add comments to but the basic ones were there and always will be there and those are the ones I quickly looked at.

Not a scientific study by no means but maybe something there. Take a look for yourself.

My question or questions are as follows. Is there a lack of interest in pen turning these days??? Is the hobby falling off??? Are people too busy to not participate in the forums any more??? Are the topics so mundane that they draw no interest any more?? Or has pen turning become so commonplace that everyone is doing it and there are no more challenges??? Is there too much info available here now that no need to get pen making conversations going??

If so is there a fix?? What would it take to get more participation here?? What else can be discussed to get back to those long conversations about pen making???

Just some food for thought as you visit the site. Maybe I am seeing something that is not there. (have done that, I believe in aliens)

Have a great day.

plantman

John; I think that as members get better and better at pen making they tend to rush over threads and questions that the newer members are submitting. It's the old " been there done that " outlook. I have also noticed that many of the older ( not age ) members no longer comment, answer questions, or submit threads or photos to the site !! I also feel that the pen market is getting flooded. If you don't make a pen with some new ideas, skills, methods, or WOW factors, your just one of the sheep in the herd of pen makers. At least we don't hear from the black sheep as much as we used to. You know the ones with the smart, condecending, or one word answers. Now that we have covered wood, metal, plastics, and stone as materials, there isn't much left other than skill and out of the box thinking to impress our fellow pen turners or the world. I don't have an answer of how to peak more interest here, but I am sure someone will come up with some ideas. Jim S

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My Opinion

Having a down day I decided to check something. It was mentioned in another post about getting a Wow page started that someone brought up a point about viewing SOYP. I never knew it and probably not many here knew it or know it. But if you click on a forum and go to the right side of the page you will see in the header total views and total replies. You click either one and it will show you the most viewed thread or if you click replies it will show you the thread with the most replies and it will list in descending order.

What I had noticed besides reliving some of the great old post and seeing names that I wish were still here, that this site has fallen off drastically in participation. Now we have more members than ever before but things are just not the same. Just from a quick look at a few of the forums, it looks like the years from 2008 -2010 were the most active. It looked like people liked talking more about pens and inventing new ideas and running with old ideas. Now i know there are more forums to read and add comments to but the basic ones were there and always will be there and those are the ones I quickly looked at.

Not a scientific study by no means but maybe something there. Take a look for yourself.

My question or questions are as follows. Is there a lack of interest in pen turning these days??? Is the hobby falling off??? Are people too busy to not participate in the forums any more??? Are the topics so mundane that they draw no interest any more?? Or has pen turning become so commonplace that everyone is doing it and there are no more challenges??? Is there too much info available here now that no need to get pen making conversations going??

If so is there a fix?? What would it take to get more participation here?? What else can be discussed to get back to those long conversations about pen making???

Just some food for thought as you visit the site. Maybe I am seeing something that is not there. (have done that, I believe in aliens)

Have a great day.
First, I'll say that I'm not looking for a debate but here are some factors that I think have had an impact on the number of posts.
1. Tighter control over stopping political or religious comments was implemented a few years ago about 2011 I think. That reduced arguments that elicited a lot of posts. Particularly in the Casual Conversation Forum. This was deliberate and I am pretty sure it did result in a reduction in posts and threads there

2. Adding more forums - I know it is counter intuitive but I think that having more special interest forums results in fewer posts. I personally find that I don't go to any of them very often because I feel I have nothing to contribute. That might not be true but I still stay away from most of them.

3. Judging by pen kit sales it's hard to say whether there's a slowing of interest or not - the large vendors seem to be acting like there is and are all working different ways of approaching it. PSI is introducing new kits practically every month. Dayacom has started selling retail. CSUSA seems to be shifting emphasis to lathes and related equipment.

4. 2008 to 2010 the economy tanked when the housing bubble broke in 2008. Lots of folks lost their job and had poor prospects of finding a new one. Looking for a way to make income there was an influx of new people into all kinds of crafts including pen turning. For the same reason a lot of casual hobbyists started to market their pens and were looking for advice on how to do it.

5. The shift to widespread use of CA finishes and man made blanks was also taking place in those years and there were many question about those subjects - those shifts are now complete and fewer questions come up about them.

Remember those points are all personal opinions and I have no empierical evidence for any of them and could be completely wrong.

. I have an opinion on what could be done to increase participation but I am not going to share it right now because it is almost completely counter to what is actually happening to the site.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
You are correct, but there is more to the story.

Normalized for the number of members, posts are down by about 25% versus 5 years ago. However, normalized page views are roughly the same. Looking at our search statistics, I believe part of the reason is that people are searching for and finding the information they need. With almost 1.5 million posts, people can find a lot of what they're looking for without asking.

So the problem seems to be one of participation, getting people to start and jump into discussions.

There are also other places to post and ask, and those do draw people away. Facebook, which is pretty useless in terms of developing a body of searchable knowledge, does appeal to a lot of people. I far prefer discussing things in a small room with friends rather than screaming across a stadium, which is kind of how I perceive FB.

Generating interesting conversation is one of the reasons that I created the New Member Advocate position and strong-armed Edgar into taking on that challenge. My hope is that getting new members involved will also invigorate general creative discussions from the entire community.

Another fix is for people such as yourself to continue raising interesting topics, but I recognize that there is an unpleasant result to that sometimes. I realize that many times they degenerate into flame wars because every community has a few inhabitants who delight in disturbing the peace. Spirited discussion is great, but it does cross the line sometimes. I take part of the blame for allowing it to happen, but there is a very fine line between maintaining order and censoring discussion. When people perceive that the latter has happened, I get all kinds of grief.

I am always open to doing things that will increase participation and generate good conversation. Today I'll be creating a couple new forums in the blank making area which I hope will get some new conversation under way.

Thanks for bringing this up!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have an opinion on what could be done to increase participation but I am not going to share it right now because it is almost completely counter to what is actually happening to the site.

My PM box is waiting for your suggestion!

GaryMGg

First off, JT thanks for starting this thread.
I never used the view/reply feature before today.
My #1 personal favorite pen--Pentarsia--was at the top albeit with lots of bad blood.
The second most viewed is a collection of inspirations, including kudos to you right out of the box--and, well earned.

I'm one who posts much less these days.
My main focus outside family and work is ServicePens.
When I see an extraordinary (to me) work, I comment.
I think the "like" button has replaced 'NPGJ'. :wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I've always been an advocate for the library when someone asks a question on How To. Maybe it's working, maybe not. I avoid those questions these days. My answers don't seem to very popular with others.

I agree that discussions need to be started. Who wants to go first? :biggrin:

low_48

When I joined in 2004, innovation was growing by leaps and bounds. Everything was new! What a lot of the innovators found out, was that sharing meant that they would be copied all across the world. I felt that started to limit some sharing, until they found out that profit could be made. Now, you can produce a huge variety of work, and not have to innovate at all. I feel that was the major shift on the site. With that huge variety available, you will get a lot of "look at how I made my variation" of what are stock kits and blanks available to everyone. Not something that will generate a lot of participation. Sorry, no suggestions, just observations.

KCW

I think, like Jeff said, the more questions that get answered, and stored, and the more people respond with "do a search", the less questions will be asked. I know I hesitate to ask a question, because of the impending, " do a search" response. I just asked a question about what new lathe people would recommend, in spite of the canned response, and I have noticed that people have looked at the thread, gone as far as checking me out on Etsy, and still no responses.

plano_harry

Great point John. When I first started I was searching and reading everything on the site, incorporated what I deemed the best ideas/techniques and got comfortable with my expertise. Then I wanted to share my knowledge with new turners so I responded to a lot of newbie questions. Then it was just the same questions over an over, I got tired of typing and others were answering. I completely agree with Jeff's point. There is such a wealth of information here and the search works beautifully so I have not needed to ask a question in a long time.

Wayne has done a super job on the library. I was seeing CA questions over and over so I decided to write an article to add to the other articles on the subject in the library. But the same questions continued to be asked...

Recently I sought wisdom on snakewood. I got all the answers I needed without ever posting a question, so I got back to making pens :)

It is pretty hard to find a question that has not already been asked/answered many times.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
...every community has a few inhabitants who delight in disturbing the peace.

I find this to be the most disheartening circumstance affecting the IAP. There are certain individuals who simply have no respect for the opinion of others. Their only goal is to start arguments for the sole purpose of winning the argument, which they believe demonstrates their vast superiority and greater intelligence over everyone else. They are right, you are wrong, end of "discussion"! I think people hesitate to post simply because they do not want to have to deal with this mentality, especially if they have been attacked before for simply asking a question or sharing a process that worked for them. In my opinion the self serving individuals are a cancer eating away at the fabric of IAP community. They stifle participation. What little they contribute to the community is overshadowed by the damage they do to it.

Since I joined in 2009 I have seen many of these individuals come and go. There always seems to be at least one, sometimes more than one. Several of them have calmed down and have converted into very valuable and helpful members of the community. Some have simply left. But in time, someone else will come along and replace them. :mad:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
.... I realize that many times they degenerate into flame wars because every community has a few inhabitants who delight in disturbing the peace....
But, these discussions are frequently the most followed you have. People seem to like a little flame now and then.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I find this to be the most disheartening circumstance affecting the IAP. There are certain individuals who simply have no respect for the opinion of others. Their only goal is to start arguments for the sole purpose of winning the argument, which they believe demonstrates their vast superiority and greater intelligence over everyone else. They are right, you are wrong, end of "discussion"! I think people hesitate to post simply because they do not want to have to deal with this mentality, especially if they have been attacked before for simply asking a question or sharing a process that worked for them. In my opinion the self serving individuals are a cancer eating away at the fabric of IAP community. They stifle participation. What little they contribute to the community is overshadowed by the damage they do to it.

Since I joined in 2009 I have seen many of these individuals come and go. There always seems to be at least one, sometimes more than one. Several of them have calmed down and have converted into very valuable and helpful members of the community. Some have simply left. But in time, someone else will come along and replace them. :mad:
Well, I'm probably one of them...frankly I like to argue. So I could stop responding when I disagree and there would be even less participation. ditto for some of the others who disagree a lot.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mike, the Ignore function is a great tool for narcissists. :biggrin: I don't consider to be one myself :rolleyes: but I'm sure I pee off several people and that I'm on a Ignore list or two.:tongue:

I was going to suggest that if you appear on more than 5 or 6 Ignore lists, then you get the boot.......but like I said, it may include me, so I won't suggest it !!:biggrin:

I have joked about it before, but I really would like to see a Reverse Ingore function. There are several people on this site that prevent me ( for various reasons ) from posting more detailed info or sharing tricks here as I really don't want those few to benefit from anything I may have to offer. If I could prevent them from seeing my posts, then I would most definitely post more.

I even have got to the stage where I sometimes just pass over a stunning piece of work, without comment, just because of either who posted it or if it is just a suck up advert for a vendor.

The other thing about all of us is that we are getting older and grumpier !!:biggrin:

Hey...JT,,,,,,, you could have made another cool pen in the time you spent doing that research !!! Me too....but I like a good moan now and then too..:biggrin:

mbroberg

Well, I'm probably one of them...frankly I like to argue. So I could stop responding when I disagree and there would be even less participation. ditto for some of the others who disagree a lot.

You are not one of them. I don't have any heartburn over disagreement or argument as long as it remains civil. Discussion, disagreement and debate is good. Obnoxious name calling and belittlement is not. I don't recall any of your arguments where you have not presented some reasoning, facts or examples to back your opinions up.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Mike, the Ignore function is a great tool for narcissists. :biggrin: I don't consider to be one myself :rolleyes: but I'm sure I pee off several people and that I'm on a Ignore list or two.:tongue:

I was going to suggest that if you appear on more than 5 or 6 Ignore lists, then you get the boot.......but like I said, it may include me, so I won't suggest it !!:biggrin:

I have joked about it before, but I really would like to see a Reverse Ingore function. There are several people on this site that prevent me ( for various reasons ) from posting more detailed info or sharing tricks here as I really don't want those few to benefit from anything I may have to offer. If I could prevent them from seeing my posts, then I would most definitely post more.

I even have got to the stage where I sometimes just pass over a stunning piece of work, without comment, just because of either who posted it or if it is just a suck up advert for a vendor.

The other thing about all of us is that we are getting older and grumpier !!:biggrin:

Hey...JT,,,,,,, you could have made another cool pen in the time you spent doing that research !!! Me too....but I like a good moan now and then too..:biggrin:

Hey Skip, I am sure I am on many of those lists too:)

I for one and I am sure there are a lot of other people here that enjoy your posts and the way you detail some of the things you do. It opens minds to the possibilities that can be done. You see the number of likes you get on your pens. As I have been told many times, do not let the few spoil it for the many.

As far as getting old and grumpier, that is also true.:biggrin:

mbroberg

Mike, the Ignore function is a great tool for narcissists. :biggrin:

I personally do not need to put someone on an ignore list in order to ignore them. However, if I did, you would not be on it. I (mostly :biggrin:) enjoy your posts and I've learned a lot from you. Like I said, I have nothing against differences of opinion and spirited debate as long as it remains civil. Some of the "flame wars" degenerate to the point of right or wrong no longer really mattering to the participants. It's all about "winning", no matter what it takes. When people have to resort to bullying and name calling and personal attacks to prevail in an argument then their argument probably isn't very valid in the first place. Members, particularly newer members who are on the receiving end of these attacks for simply trying to contribute or asking a question are probably going to be hesitant to contribute again.

My opinion was not meant to detract from the other variables identified as possible reasons for declining participation. This is one of the variables that was identified that I feel has been a recurring problem for as long as I've been here.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

I can tell you, for a fact, this has greatly reduced my posting. I KNOW a certain someone will follow me and throw as much 'cold water' as possible, which will inhibit others from posting, as well. There is no point in starting a conversation, if you have good reason to believe it will be terminated by one individual.

brownsfn2

Is it me Ed? :)

I tend not to post technique or what I use in pen turning since I see too many times where some with think their way is the only way and therefore the opinion of others is irrelevant. So I think I contribute less as a result.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Another change that very significantly reduced posts was the "like" button. Instead of 50 posts saying "nice pen, good job", many people just click 'like" instead.

I think that's a good addition, but I think it would definitely contribute to the statistical decline in post count...but each post has more value in that posts expressing admiration usually say 'why' they like the pen, else people would just click 'like;.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
We could try an experiment.

You could all go back to posting more, and when someone make a post of the type that causes you to want to post less, hit the yellow triangle and we'll have a look. Perhaps my tolerance has been too high for too long and the result is that we are getting too little of what makes this a place people want to be.

Years ago I made a post titled Forum Decorum that expressed my feelings about how to peacefully coexist at IAP. Perhaps I have been too reluctant in dealing with those very few who did not take that advice.

Worth a shot?

Kragax

I think sometimes if you ruffle a few feathers on a given subject your future posts get ignored as well. Spirited discussion is a good thing kept in civilized boundaries. But you can disagree with someone without shunning them and disregarding their posts. This may be part of the problem but its just a guess on my part. Perhaps a forum dedicated to these type of discussions would help.

jttheclockman

Well like with all threads they usually take on a theme or trend and this is no exception. It is good to see that I am not alone in what I thought I was seeing.

I get the ruffling of feathers syndrome, believe me!!! I have left this site on numerous occasions and sometimes for a year due to attacks which I just get tired of defending. The thing is I have to come back to answer PM questions and then I start looking around and find myself jumping in where I can. Now that I am unable to turn any pens I find myself channel surfing a lot more. I still find this site the most complete all around pen making site there is on the net. It was due to both the leadership but also the members past and present.

With that said I agree with many things that have been said and yes sadly the like button has probably taken away from the comments. Without addressing each person your thoughts are spot on. It is a great thing that this site holds so much info in the art of pen making and maybe more and more people are using that and no need for questions.

The one thing I disagree with and do not remember who mentioned it is we have run the gamut on different medium we work with and exhausted it. Yes back then things were new and this provoked many topics. Why can't it still be the same thing. I continually push the idea of thinking outside the box. We all have this in us. Just need to tap into it. You can not expect just a handful of people to carry the ideas here. What we need to do is take those ideas and run with them and expand on them. Boy I sound like a broken record even to myself. :eek: There are those that use different tools to make both blanks and entire pens. They are gracious enough to show us them. Sometimes even write tutorials. I am not saying copy the pen but expand on it or add your own design. A very good example of this is what Skiprat did with my original Panache Ying Yang pen.

How do we add more participation??? Well again I am going to stretch my memory but forgive for not remembering who was doing it but they were putting up a challenge almost every 2 weeks or so where they would do simple slimline pens but with different ideas. It looked like it was something that drew some people to it. I remember on another forum I posted some celtic knots with subtle differences and the next thing people wanted to know how it was done but I gave them few clues and finally they worked it out. I know many here know those answers and as well on that site but they stood back and let others enjoy the challenge. Maybe something like this is possible.

To sum this up, it looks like we have ideas what has caused the fall off but what do we do to pep it back up??

Take care all.

Last edited:

mbroberg

How do we add more participation??? Well again I am going to stretch my memory but forgive for not remembering who was doing it but they were putting up a challenge almost every 2 weeks or so where they would do simple slimline pens but with different ideas. It looked like it was something that drew some people to it.

John,

I think you are talking about Butch (LDB2000). Here is an examle of what he used to do. It was really fun and educational.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/penmakers-challenge-61668/

jttheclockman

How do we add more participation??? Well again I am going to stretch my memory but forgive for not remembering who was doing it but they were putting up a challenge almost every 2 weeks or so where they would do simple slimline pens but with different ideas. It looked like it was something that drew some people to it.

John,

I think you are talking about Butch (LDB2000). Here is an examle of what he used to do. It was really fun and educational.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/penmakers-challenge-61668/

Yes you are correct. I thought he was very good at it.

Bob Wemm

I'll chuck my 10 cents worth in here, not that I have much experience in Pen Making, but I enjoy this conversation.
I had no intention of making pens when I purchased my lathe, but was encouraged to join the IAP by robutation(George). It didn't take long before I bought a few kits and then accumulated 100's of blanks. Even made some of my own from different materials.
But I have found it difficult to sell my pens, even at almost give-away prices so I have all but stopped making them. My other passion is making Bowls and Segmented pieces but as they are posted there is very little comment. I realise that this is a Pen Turning site and that is probably why.
I guess the biggest problem is that it is so easy to just "Like" rather than respond in full.

Bob.

plantman

You could all go back to posting more, and when someone make a post of the type that causes you to want to post less, hit the yellow triangle and we'll have a look. Perhaps my tolerance has been too high for too long and the result is that we are getting too little of what makes this a place people want to be.

Years ago I made a post titled Forum Decorum that expressed my feelings about how to peacefully coexist at IAP. Perhaps I have been too reluctant in dealing with those very few who did not take that advice.

Worth a shot?

This is a good example of my lack of knowledge after 4 years on this site !! I never noticed the yellow triangle before, much less new what it was used for. What is that other thing next to it and what is it used for ?? Jim S

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'll chuck my 10 cents worth in here, not that I have much experience in Pen Making, but I enjoy this conversation.
I had no intention of making pens when I purchased my lathe, but was encouraged to join the IAP by robutation(George). It didn't take long before I bought a few kits and then accumulated 100's of blanks. Even made some of my own from different materials.
But I have found it difficult to sell my pens, even at almost give-away prices so I have all but stopped making them. My other passion is making Bowls and Segmented pieces but as they are posted there is very little comment. I realise that this is a Pen Turning site and that is probably why.
I guess the biggest problem is that it is so easy to just "Like" rather than respond in full.

Bob.

Post them, Bob - I really enjoy looking at segmented items and bowls (but I find I likely don't respond as often as I should!)

jttheclockman

Worth a shot?

This is a good example of my lack of knowledge after 4 years on this site !! I never noticed the yellow triangle before, much less new what it was used for. What is that other thing next to it and what is it used for ?? Jim S

Jim that is a picture of you:biggrin::biggrin:. What it is is an indicator if that person is online. If it is green then they are on line. If red they are off line. If grey they are invisable.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

A good opposing views discussion is usually a great learning tool. It's the unforgiving binary I'm right, you're wrong and no points you say are valid that turns many off.

Or the Your wrong, but I"m not going to even grace you with the reason why. <<<< This is all too common lately from at least one or two members I can think of. If you have an opinion why you feel something is wrong, share your reasoning behind it. Don't just post a two word condescending post and then go back under the troll bridge. It benefits nobody and likely causes others to not bother participating.

The Like button was a great addition in that it cut down on the post count of the generic "nice fit and finish", "looks great", "good job" type posts. Those inflated the post count, but didn't really add meaningful content. I'd be willing to bet that there is more substance to the posts now than 5 years ago.

Just a few cents from my perspective :biggrin:

Worth a shot?

I'm probably one of those whose postings have dropped off, even though you wouldn't know it by the numbers... I rarely ever use the "like" button, don't get into the controversial conversations, have never used the "ignore" button and generally have stopped doing pens... haven't done one in a couple of years, but I still come be every day to see what's going on at IAP...(I still turn almost every day, but prefer bowls, peppermills, and other turnings)... if there's a thread that's not of interest to me or not in the spirit of just plain good conversation, then I move on... I enjoy the camaraderie of the forum and it's my routine to look in while I do my morning coffee. I don't play personalities and if someone else is, I'm not obligated to comment or even read... I think we can disagree without being disagreeable...

I've met a number of people of the years I've been turning that think their work is superior, or their way the only way or any other form of egotism or narcissism, both here and at some of the craft shows I've attended... mostly those people amuse me.

Dalepenkala

Quote:
(((Another fix is for people such as yourself to continue raising interesting topics, but I recognize that there is an unpleasant result to that sometimes. I realize that many times they degenerate into flame wars because every community has a few inhabitants who delight in disturbing the peace. )))

Jeff this is so true and that is why I turned to other social medias! There are several here that cause these issues and that's why I hardly even post here anymore.

Glad to see your watching this thread Jeff!

ChewTerr

Speaking as anecdotal evidence that new people are joining and posting, I definitely have been getting some good answers. While less questions might be asked, it feels like there are still plenty of responses to give good solutions to issues from us novices.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Worth a shot?

You mean the little red or green silhouette? That tells you if the person who made that post is on line or off line. Generally, hovering over any icon here will give you a hint as to it's purpose (usually!)

Edit: Ooops, I see JT already answered this :biggrin:

Last edited:

plantman

Worth a shot?

You mean the little red or green silhouette? That tells you if the person who made that post is on line or off line. Generally, hovering over any icon here will give you a hint as to it's purpose (usually!)

Edit: Ooops, I see JT already answered this :biggrin:

Thank you Jeff and John for the answers to my questions !! Just goes to prove that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks !! Jim S

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I find the forum sometimes turns into a popularity contest.... that turns me off....Some members do excellent work and have no comments.... Others, well just look for yourself...

keithbyrd

I have been on here for 4 years and have seen a lot of changes and also have changed. Time is a precious commodity and I don't like wasting time trying to find out who is winning the l'm right you're wrong contest. Sometimes I don't comment because I don't want to get into those or have someone take my comments wrong.

3-4 years ago I used to post questions or problems and would get a fairly decent response (decent in terms of number of people offering answers or suggestions) Then we went through a couple of years where it seemed like there was almost no response. I got frustrated and generally quit posting - just skimmed others posts. Last couple of questions I posted here there was a small response but I got some good answers - very valuable!

I think we have so many people on here now who are very comfortable with social media and are used to being on someplace - ie facebook or other forums but not being involved. The value of this forum is increased by getting involved.

In the past 4 years I have learned a lot from the good folks on this forum and find it very valuable. I would like to see more involvement and less surfing by the members. When I say involvement I really am referring to constructive involvement. There is no reason to get on and criticize or attack people or their work or their ideas. Constructive criticism is extremely valuable - criticism - not so much.

Last edited:

BSea

Bob.

Post them, Bob - I really enjoy looking at segmented items and bowls (but I find I likely don't respond as often as I should!)
I also like seeing your bowls. But I know I don't comment in your threads enough. Frankly, seeing other things people make is refreshing.

Top Bottom