I noticed a trend here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Carl you make a good point and to add to that certain technical problems will never change. Such as you mentioned CA problems. This is a big one and all started when we started using CA as a finish. What happens and I said this over and over again that sometimes answers get watered down so much so that the entire problem is not answered. The reason they get watered down is that they become so redundant and people do get tired of answering. That is why I refer people to do a search. Many times that answer gets frowned upon but it is a valuable tool here.

In the segmenting forum I started a thread called "Why Blanks go Boom"
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f179/why-blanks-go-boom-110385/
When I started that thread my intention was to have a place where someone could go for reasons as to why a blank blew up and it happens so many times and the question gets asked how can this happen. How can it be avoided. I do not know how many people use that or find it valuable. But if it were stickied at the top of the forum it would be easier to find.

Might be something to look at.
There is nothing wrong with referring a questioner to do a search, they might not even know about all the resources. But, particularly with new members, it is nice to give them at least a partial answer and tell them where to begin the search.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
skiprat said " I'm sorry that I am more popular than you,But perhaps if you participate more and share more, then you too can .....

Such immature statements as these can keep people away and turn people off. Over the years I have made over a thousand pens for the troops with the help of donations of kits from several vendors on this forum and have contributed quiet a bit to this forum till I was forced to go back to work last November due to my pension being cut in half.. Now an on the job injury has forced me to start drawing workers comp until I'm well (surgery on left knee Friday). I should not have posted on this conversation so I apologize for stirring the pot. I was just saying what I felt..

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
A great technique I've seen in use on very large forums is to have a single sticky in a given forum section that contains links to other good historical conversations on a given topic that comes up regularly. Lock the thread but give a forum moderator the ability to add or update it as needed. One of the 4Runner forums I'm on is huge but when I was getting involved these sticky posts were invaluable in helping me locate some of the most commonly asked questions complete with links to very good discussions on the topic.

Just some random thoughts that are probably not relevant to the topic of participation, but may help in how to locate and identify some of these past threads that deserve revisiting.

Chris (thewishman), Wayne (wracinowski), and Edgar (edohmann) are working on collecting links for just such a purpose.

This thread, and this one, are examples.

I'd love to be able to put lists of consolidated links on the front page that answer the most common questions. Of course the problem is that there are often multiple, subjective answers to some questions. I think we could accommodate those by just giving multiple options for each topic.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
David ( Oldman5050 ) you are free to voice your opinion as much as me or the next guy. I commend your making of so many pens for the troops and I am positive they were gratefully received. The gratitude from those service men and women can't be measured by 'likes' on a forum such as this. The warm feeling you get from giving those pens just doesn't compare to the silly quantity of Likes or replies I or others may get on a hobby forum.
But I think you know what I was referring to when I said to participate and share more. I didn't mean in real life outside of this little forum. I just meant that I don't remember you participating here that much.
I will not compare my contributions to society outside this forum with you but rest assured that I have done my part too. :wink:

It was unfortunate that you made your original comment and even more unfortunate that I let it get under my skin for a moment. I did actually try and amend my post, but ran out of time. I did however come back and apologise. :wink:

If you are still making pens for the troops, or any other worthy cause, then please PM me your address and I will send you a bunch of kits and blanks.

No hard feelings, OK?

Regards
Steven

skiprat said " I'm sorry that I am more popular than you,But perhaps if you participate more and share more, then you too can .....

Such immature statements as these can keep people away and turn people off. Over the years I have made over a thousand pens for the troops with the help of donations of kits from several vendors on this forum and have contributed quiet a bit to this forum till I was forced to go back to work last November due to my pension being cut in half.. Now an on the job injury has forced me to start drawing workers comp until I'm well (surgery on left knee Friday). I should not have posted on this conversation so I apologize for stirring the pot. I was just saying what I felt..

Carl Fisher

Chris (thewishman), Wayne (wracinowski), and Edgar (edohmann) are working on collecting links for just such a purpose.

I'd love to be able to put lists of consolidated links on the front page that answer the most common questions. Of course the problem is that there are often multiple, subjective answers to some questions. I think we could accommodate those by just giving multiple options for each topic.

Good place to start.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of something like this:
Pre-Purchase Info, Modifications, Write-Ups, Quick Links, and FAQ's - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Good place to start.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of something like this:
Pre-Purchase Info, Modifications, Write-Ups, Quick Links, and FAQ's - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

That's much like we're planning.

Interesting read too! I drive a 4Runner.

TurtleTom

Brutally honest is not a virtue.

I suspect one of the reasons the site is not as popular as it could be has to do with automatic subscription. I can't think of another forum I've used that made you subscribe to a thread where you had posted a message. I just forget. I have a program called ChromeHistoryView that gives me all the sites I've visited since Adam was a caveman. Without it I think I'd have posted about half as much as I have. And maybe you'd all be more cheerful for that.
And yes, I think we'd all drive Toyotas if we could afford them. I favor the Hilus, the truck model Top Gear was unable to destroy. Pulled out and lost in the ocean, set fire, driven into trees, God only knows what else and finally put on top of a 23 story building and demolished the building. Drove it out. Oh yes, no spare parts were allowed. You might want to watch this, parts one and two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
Cheers.

SDB777

Forums generally have 'cliché'(or clicks, I know not the correct spelling). This one does, and most know whom is in it, I'm not....so I don't post on the topics that are started or commented by those in the post, and I've noticed they do not comment on my post either.

I have noticed, if you want to get a LOT of people posting on a topic that gets started....offer something for free! You'll have people that joined 12 years ago with one post(under their username) blowing up your inbox!!! {guessing this isn't the type of postings being discussed here}

Jeff, what would happen if the "like" button was removed, as an experiment for a week? Do you think the postings would increase in relation to views on a topic?

Scott (click the cliché or cliché the click) B

BSea

I suspect one of the reasons the site is not as popular as it could be has to do with automatic subscription. I can't think of another forum I've used that made you subscribe to a thread where you had posted a message. I just forget.
It does have automatic subscriptions. Click on User CP. Then click on Edit Options. It's in the section called Thread Display Options.

And yes, I think we'd all drive Toyotas if we could afford them. I favor the Hilus, the truck model Top Gear was unable to destroy. Pulled out and lost in the ocean, set fire, driven into trees, God only knows what else and finally put on top of a 23 story building and demolished the building. Drove it out. Oh yes, no spare parts were allowed. You might want to watch this, parts one and two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
Cheers.
Now that is very cool! I actually saw the episode on BBC America.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, what would happen if the "like" button was removed, as an experiment for a week? Do you think the postings would increase in relation to views on a topic?

And just last week I was reading how the number of likes were a potentially good indicator of wow-ness. :biggrin:

Yes, I can turn it off just for a particular forum or site-wide.

I don't think a week is enough time for an experiment like that.

Here is an interesting discussion and poll regarding the like button. There are some widely varying opinions on it.

jttheclockman

It was brought up recently here about reasons a forum fails and one is social media and how people are always on the move and time is short. The like button fit right into that mentality. Hit the like button and you are gone. That has become our way of life these days. The younger the person the more this applies. Also people use it because they are afraid what they type will be misread and taken out of context and so to avoid embarrassment that is all they do. I have no problem seeing it there because I rarely use it and if I do I add my comments. I think it does give the OP a sense of value in what they posted. But a well placed comment can only drive the point home and really tell the OP things they need to hear. Can not get that with a like button.

What I gather from all the posts here on this topic one thing keeps coming to my mind. That is we need to slow down and take the site for what it is and meant to be. A community where the members share ideas and post questions to problems. It is not a twitter account. it is not a facebook site it is not one of the other fast and frenzied social media sites or apps that people have on their phones. Think of it as an old fashion telephone where you actually talk to people. You talk to people in the manner as if they were standing in front of you. Maybe we are just in a society where this is lost for good. I believe in new technology and advancement. But at times I think we need to step back and revisit the path we took to get there.

Have a great day.

SDB777

And just last week I was reading how the number of likes were a potentially good indicator of wow-ness. :biggrin:

Yes, I can turn it off just for a particular forum or site-wide.

I don't think a week is enough time for an experiment like that.

Here is an interesting discussion and poll regarding the like button. There are some widely varying opinions on it.

Read all of the replies on the link you gave.... There were definitely some points that stood out above others(and I didn't click "Like" on any of them :biggrin: )

I can see where deleting the "Like" might hurt as much as help....

Scott (slow down and smell the coffee) B

vakmere

What I gather from all the posts here on this topic one thing keeps coming to my mind. That is we need to slow down and take the site for what it is and meant to be. A community where the members share ideas and post questions to problems. It is not a twitter account. it is not a facebook site it is not one of the other fast and frenzied social media sites or apps that people have on their phones. Think of it as an old fashion telephone where you actually talk to people. You talk to people in the manner as if they were standing in front of you. Maybe we are just in a society where this is lost for good. I believe in new technology and advancement. But at times I think we need to step back and revisit the path we took to get there.

Well done. I was thinking that before I read your reply. I think there has been more good conversation here than not. Someone will always want to poke the bees nest but that's life. There is something for everyone here. I really enjoy IAP and was recently surprised with a front page shared by so many others before me. This is a wonderful site for everyone new and experienced. Nobody should be hesitant to post out of fear of what someone might reply. This is heaven compared to the flamers on YouTube and Facebook. We should visit this topic in 10 years. Maybe there will be an IAP golf outing by then. On the golf course we will all see who has the better balls....:eek:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Forums generally have 'cliché'(or clicks, I know not the correct spelling).
Scott (click the cliché or cliché the click) B

I think you meant Clique, Scott!:)

cliché
A phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought.

Clique
In the social sciences, a clique is a group of people who interact with each other more regularly and intensely than others in the same setting.

1080Wayne

It was brought up recently here about reasons a forum fails and one is social media and how people are always on the move and time is short. The like button fit right into that mentality. Hit the like button and you are gone. That has become our way of life these days. The younger the person the more this applies. Also people use it because they are afraid what they type will be misread and taken out of context and so to avoid embarrassment that is all they do. I have no problem seeing it there because I rarely use it and if I do I add my comments. I think it does give the OP a sense of value in what they posted. But a well placed comment can only drive the point home and really tell the OP things they need to hear. Can not get that with a like button.

Have a great day.

Was going to click the `Like` button , but managed to restrain myself .

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What are we discussing now?

I'm lost - a couple of days being a little busy and I don't have a clue where this thread has gone but it almost looks like it's come a full circle.

I can think of one forum that I would add .... a 'sad news forum' . It does not have to be called that but it would be the place where people could post when they lose a loved one, are going for surgery, lose a pet, hurt themselves or that sort of thing. Those post usually bring out a number of responses from people who feel compassion for the OP and want to offer condolences, sympathy or encouragement.

TurtleTom

I suspect one of the reasons the site is not as popular as it could be has to do with automatic subscription. I can't think of another forum I've used that made you subscribe to a thread where you had posted a message. I just forget.
It does have automatic subscriptions. Click on User CP. Then click on Edit Options. It's in the section called Thread Display Options.

Thanks Bob, what a relief to get that auto subscribe turned on. I suppose if you never kick the bucket nothing ever falls out.
I had forgotten about the incredible cliff hanger at the end of Part two Trash The Toyota.
He had 'em groaning in the isles he did.

Top Bottom