Bolt looking Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey guys, not sure if this is where I need this but we will see. I work at a hardware store and we got free pens from the company that look like a bolt with a nut at the end. Any ideas on how to make a QUALITY pen similar to it with the threads about half way up the pen???? I was Thinking a Zen pen and somehow get threads on the cap and CA a nut at the top. Any ideas would be great!!! Pen looking extremely similar to the picture included. The pen was made of cheap molded plastic with a pen insert glued in and a cap where the nut is on the threaded part. Thanks guys!!!

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Perhaps start with a magnetic vertex from PSI?

You might be able to get a metallic silver blank from exotic blanks. I don't remember the name, but you can't miss them. If those would take a thread, I think that would go a long way on a vertex.

Fibonacci

Another option might be to just take a fairly large bolt (1/2" maybe), drill out the center and build it like a closed end pen.

It would be really heavy, but durable as all get out.

Thought about Drilling a bolt out and build it like a closed end pen, but you are right, it will be quite heavy.

Sorry areaman, not sure who skippy is :-(

PenPal

Justin,

Harbor Freight sell a small Air Gun in Aluminium that lends itself to an easy exercise in penmaking. Cheap as chips the knurled area can wind the biro in or out as well as the Slimline mechanism. Like Josephs coat they come in many colours.

I am a fixated friend of Skippies also and have moments of fantasy such as the Rebar Pen shown as well here. Skippies pen is a ripper,all his pens are.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0014-1.jpg
    DSCF0014-1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 207

MorganGrafixx

Yep...as soon as you said bolt pen, I thought of that pen SkipRat made a while back. Of course to make it, you're going to need a metal lathe/CNC machine.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
..... Of course to make it, you're going to need a metal lathe/CNC machine.

OK, I won't deny that I did use a metal lathe. BUT that was because I HAVE one and not because it was needed. :wink:
All the work on that pen was threading with taps and dies or drilling.
The minor shaping on the nib is easily done with a file.

CNC??? LOL....anyone with a CNC machine will tell you that a pen like that could be made by hand long before they could even figure out the programming.

If I had access to a decent video camera, I'd make another one on my wood lathe and post the vid on You Tube.

The point I'm trying to make is; If you believe that you need special tools to do a job, then chances are you won't be able to do the job unless you have them. :wink:

alphageek

Former Moderator

OK, I won't deny that I did use a metal lathe. BUT that was because I HAVE one and not because it was needed. :wink:

CNC??? LOL....anyone with a CNC machine will tell you that a pen like that could be made by hand long before they could even figure out the programming.

If I had access to a decent video camera, I'd make another one on my wood lathe and post the vid on You Tube.

The point I'm trying to make is; If you believe that you need special tools to do a job, then chances are you won't be able to do the job unless you have them. :wink:

Holy cow!!! I think we need a fundraiser to by Skippy a video camera!!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

LOL

DurocShark

Holy cow!!! I think we need a fundraiser to by Skippy a video camera!!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

LOL
http://www.amazon.com/Flip-UltraHD-...02IO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1304098198&sr=8-5

MorganGrafixx

Oh okay....I though you turned it from a billet of metal.

bensoelberg

This is probably one of the most inspirational statements I've ever read on this site. I tend to fall into the camp of tool envy and thinking that I can't make stuff until I save up enough money to buy a new gadget. I'm going to try harder to figure out how to do what I want with what I have instead. Thanks Skip! (Now go figure out how to make that video you promised with the camera you have on hand!!! :wink::eek::biggrin:)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:biggrin: Ben, you may not believe this, but I've been playing in my shop for the last half hour with my digital camera after realizing that it takes pretty damned good videos too!!!. It's a little Fujifilm Finepix S1500.
It just shot about 10mins and then loaded it on my laptop.
Then for the first time, I open Windows Movie Maker ( which I didn't even know I had ) and see that it is very intuitive, so even I can figure it out. :biggrin:

LOL.....Steven Speilberg move over, Skip's gonna be getting the next Oscar!!:tongue:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Photo used without permission. No rights observed.
Copywrong Skiprat Theatrical Productions LTD 2011 :biggrin:

Attachments

• oscar-statue.jpg
    oscar-statue.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 145

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Charlie you are a horrible, sick, nasty, mean and evil individual !!!!!:mad:

We are so alike, we must be long lost brothers:biggrin: (I'm just younger, smarter and far better lookin' :tongue: )

bensoelberg

:biggrin: Ben, you may not believe this, but I've been playing in my shop for the last half hour with my digital camera after realizing that it takes pretty damned good videos too!!!. It's a little Fujifilm Finepix S1500.
It just shot about 10mins and then loaded it on my laptop.
Then for the first time, I open Windows Movie Maker ( which I didn't even know I had ) and see that it is very intuitive, so even I can figure it out. :biggrin:

LOL.....Steven Speilberg move over, Skip's gonna be getting the next Oscar!!:tongue:

That actually doesn't surprise me at all. Looking forward to the premier!

DurocShark

I realized AFTER selling my old Kodak z camera that my Nikon D80 does NOT film movies.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

OKLAHOMAN

I've had a baggie hanging over one of my lathes for a while now and in that baggie is a stainless bolt and nut written on the outside is "SKIPRAT KIT". One of these days after I stop doing shows that will be used......

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've had a baggie hanging over one of my lathes for a while now and in that baggie is a stainless bolt and nut written on the outside is "SKIPRAT KIT". One of these days after I stop doing shows that will be used......

Hey! I have one of those too! Only mine says 'just add brains' :confused:

No matter what Skip tells everyone .. Mom always did like me best. :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
She told me. When you weren't listening. Didn't want me to tell you
because it might hurt your feelings. I think she told me on your birthday.
Oops .. have I said too much?

Oh yeah... I remember that birthday party now !! Mom said that cos you kept whining about never ever having a party like the rest of us.
Ah...the good old days hey??:rolleyes:

Top Bottom