Zen Once More

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

In another thread, I showed a pen made from stabilized chechen burl, where you could some brass showing through. I did work on that blank and got it better, but not good enough. I had extra tubes so I just started over but this time I colored the tube black with my preferred method, a black Sharpie. No mess, doesn't add thickness to the tube, no waiting for paint to dry, and most importantly, it works. This blank was full of cracks and voids, like the first one. Took a lot of patience and CA, but in the end it turned out wonderfully. Here's the result.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3694.jpeg
    IMG_3694.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 94
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Yes, it's a nice looker! - I used to use Sharpie markers too and I now even have a bunch of colors, but anymore I wind up spraying the inside of the blank with a little spray lacquer. It dries really fast and usually doesn't add too much thickness. I also double down by adding a single drop of acrylic paint to my epoxy when I mix it up. I find it amazing how little paint is really needed.

Gorgeous Pen.
Dave

sorcerertd

That is definitely a beautiful piece of wood, and quite well finished. I guess the other one is still around for you to mess with if you still want to save it.

KenB259

Yes I still have the other blank. It was frustrating because you can't see the brass until you finish and polish it.

Top Bottom