• Pen #7

Votes: 27 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Pen #1
Entry of a 15 yo gentleman.
After I drilled the blank and painted it, there wasn't enough room for the tube. So I had to redrill with a slightly larger bit (10.5mm instead of 10). The rest went pretty well.

Parent says – He did everything except at the end of turning the burl had some weak spots that I filled with CA to help stabilize the wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen #2

From a 16yo Gentleman
I did the complete work on this pen by myself. I started from scratch with an African Blackwood blank and a Paduak blank along with a poly card. I cut, segmented, and glued them into the final I did the complete work on this pen by myself. I started from scratch with an African Blackwood blank and a Paduak blank along with a poly card. I cut, segmented, and glued them into the final blanks. After turning the blanks I finished them with several coats of thin CA glue followed by medium and worked through the micromesh stages to 12,000. Then I mounted them on a JR Statesman with Rhodium and Gold components. And finally I set up a cardboard light box and took the pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen #3

A entry from a 14yo Lady
My uncle came and picked me up from my house and we went to his shop to start making my pen. He had me pick out a pen blank. I marked the length of the blank to the tube and cut off the rest. Then I drilled a hole in it for the tube. I spray painted the inside and glues the tube inside and let it dry overnight. Today I squared the ends so it would press together evenly. I turned it so it would be in the shape of the pen. Then, I sanded it a lot to get it smooth. Then I waxed and cleaned it. Lastly, I put the pen together.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen #4

15yo boy's entry.
This pen that I am entering is a Slimline in Red, and the Blank is one that I cast with my dad in opal white, glitter black and opal and some coloured red resin. I poured the resin to early and it mixed throughout and even though it was mixed wrong but the results speaks for itself. It looks like a regular pen until the lights go out. I included in the resin some glow in the dark powder in Blue.
After drilling the hole through and gluing I proceed to lathe the piece into shape. To finish the piece I used CA glue and applied 5 coats than sanded to 6000 wet and dry than polished using a cream polish that dad has made up himself. Hope you enjoy the pen.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen #5

Entry of a 15 yo young man
This pen that I am entering is a Sierra and I have called it Kiwi Fruit surprise.
It is a combination of a rare Australian timber called Conker berry (orange in colour) and a off cuts of a green black resin. I have had to cut the pieces and laminate (glue the pieces together) than recut the blank to size. After drilling the hole through and gluing I proceed to lathe the piece into shape. To finish the piece I used CA glue and applied 5 coats than sanded to 6000 wet and dry than polished using a cream polish that dad has made up himself. Hope you enjoy the pen

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen #6

Entry of a 15 yo gentleman
This pen that I am entering is a Sierra style and I have called it Oceans Australia.
It is a epoxy blue, sliver and black resin which is a purchased blank. After drilling the hole through and gluing I proceed to lathe the piece into shape. To finish the piece I used CA glue and applied 3 coats than sanded to 6000 wet and dry than polished using a cream polish that dad has made up himself. Hope you enjoy the pen. I find finishing with the CA glue gives a better finish with the polishing

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen #7

Entry from a 17yo member.
This pen that I have to show you is my Steampunk pen made from King Cocobolo. I used the same immaculate finishing process that I was taught for that clear, hard shine that is so desired. I have a lot of fun making all sorts of pens, bottle stoppers, pizza cutters, live edge tables, etc. My favorite pen to turn is definitely this Steampunk pen, by far. With it's unique styling and majesty, and the beautiful grain in the King Cocobolo with rust and purple highlights,
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 707
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 678
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 684
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 691
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 683
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 659
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 670
  • 8.gif
    8.gif
    132.1 KB · Views: 654
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 655
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 688
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 676
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 651
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 680
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 667
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 658
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 639
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 673
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 642
Last edited by a moderator:

stonepecker

We are looking for more votes here.

We have a three way (almost) tie for 3rd PLACE.
Only three votes separate them.

So call your friends and neighbors and get those votes in.

stonepecker

Time to get the Votes in.

The distance between 2nd and 3rd place is very close.
It has change 3 times in just a day.

Show your support and vote today!

edicehouse

Kaitlyn (pen #3) was her first pen. She gets straight A's and I told her I would let her make a pen one day. So this was the perfect opportunity. I think the best is when she got home and showed her mom. She skipped across the room to show her.

Daveprince

Thank you IAP for having the BASH. This was my first time to enter a pen in any comp. This pen (#5) was made with scraps I had in the draw and I love the contrast of colours. Thanks again. Kaleb

Top Bottom