Your favorite song

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I was just sitting here looking at the website and a song "One toke over the line" by Brewer and Shipley comes over the TV (sirius radio). Not my favorite but it took me back. What's your favorite song and why? Mine was "Brandy" by Looking Glass, actually not my favorite but it's my wife's. But every time I hear it, it takes me back to a day I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing. Not a good memory at the time but over time, and my wife, I've turned it into a good memory. My favorite, "Dead skunk in the middle of the road" by Loudon Wainwright lll. First time I heard it was on my way to jump school in North Carolina. Man it brings up some memories for sure.

bsshog40

Well I am very prejudice when it comes to my favorite music. Mine is a song that very few people have ever heard. It is an original song that I wrote and performed for my late wife. She passed away of cancer 11 yrs ago. If you ever get the time, click my link to my youtube and listen to "One More Life".

DrD

How about "Louis, Louis" by the Kingsmen, or in more recent times "Do You Remember?" &/or "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. Or "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'" by the Righteous Brothers; "I Feel Good" by James Brown and the Famous Flames; "Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On" by Jerry Lee, Long John Baldry's "Don't try to Lay no Boogie Woogie on the King of Rock and Roll" ... and we could go on all night!

DrD

Well I am very prejudice when it comes to my favorite music. Mine is a song that very few people have ever heard. It is an original song that I wrote and performed for my late wife. She passed away of cancer 11 yrs ago. If you ever get the time, click my link to my youtube and listen to "One More Life".
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy God in Heaven Above!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bobby that is beautiful! I am so so so sorry for your loss!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm so old, there are too...too many. If I told you that a certain song was my favorite, I would likely be lying to you. Unintentionally of course!
However, I would go by the videos I most frequently watch on Youtube. "Coming back to life" David Gilmour and "The rain song" Robert Plant & Jimmy Page. And a ton of others. Don't have Sirius, but I should have.

magpens

Glad you asked. ..... I've been waiting years to tell somebody ......

My favorite is Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" ..... but .....

I change it to "On the Phone Again" .....

and it goes through my mind every time my wife gets or makes a phone call ..... which seems like 40 times a day !!

Chippa

Face it by old canes

No reasons why just one of those songs I'll find myself whistling at work.

WriteON

Tough question. I have 100 favorite songs.
Motown:
Temptations...Since I lost my baby
Four Tops...all of their music is my favorite song.
Jazz.... unfair to pick one song.
Rock... Light my fire
DooWop.... too many to chose from

I pass. Cannot pick one.

WriteON

So sorry to hear about your. I have been on your link... You have talent. I can't sing squat. Have no musical hands or brains.

Tough question. I have 100 favorite songs.
Motown:
Temptations...Since I lost my baby
Four Tops...all of their music is my favorite song.
Jazz.... unfair to pick one song.
Rock... Light my fire
DooWop.... too many to chose from

I pass. Cannot pick one.

Gotta pick one, maybe two. There's a lot of songs I like but they have no special meaning, they're just good songs. My songs take me right back to a place, good or bad, and you can actually visualize in your head. It's kind of like a smell that takes you back in time, maybe a stew your mom or dad made but when you catch that smell you immediately think of that stew. I guess it's kind of like Deja vu. It's happened to me a couple of times that didn't involve either of these songs.

WriteON

Gotta pick one, maybe two. There's a lot of songs I like but they have no special meaning, they're just good songs. My songs take me right back to a place, good or bad, and you can actually visualize in your head. It's kind of like a smell that takes you back in time, maybe a stew your mom or dad made but when you catch that smell you immediately think of that stew. I guess it's kind of like Deja vu. It's happened to me a couple of times that didn't involve either of these songs.
I'm working on it. I have been a music lover before I was born. I have always bought and collected records/songs. Music is a beautiful thing. I feel bad for anyone that cannot hear and cannot appreciate the value of music. I love so much of it. So here it is. I'll call this my all time favorite (but still tied for 1st with a million others.) "Leyte" from the album Soul Sauce by Cal Tjader....who was the grandfather of Latin Jazz...but he is not Hispanic. This is the song in my head...still sounds the same since it's release in the 60's.

Last edited:
I'm so old, there are too...too many. If I told you that a certain song was my favorite, I would likely be lying to you. Unintentionally of course!
However, I would go by the videos I most frequently watch on Youtube. "Coming back to life" David Gilmour and "The rain song" Robert Plant & Jimmy Page. And a ton of others. Don't have Sirius, but I should have.

"The Rain Song" for sure!
"Ten Years Gone" a close 2nd.

WriteON

Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd playing "Desafinado" by Antonio Carlos Jobim/Newton Mendonca; recorded 1/1/62, link:

Getz led a stormy life, but he was a profoundly gifted and lyrical improviser - he never told the same musical story twice.
I have this album or my brother took it. Stan was one of the masters of the Bossa Nova era. Check out his release Apasionado. The entire album is incredible. Say the word and I'll send you the CD.

More4dan

Bob in SF

I have this album or my brother took it. Stan was one of the masters of the Bossa Nova era. Check out his release Apasionado. The entire album is incredible. Say the word and I'll send you the CD.

Frank - I have the Apasionado album - agreed - it's profoundly beautiful.
Getz was undergoing cancer treatment when he recorded it - incredible music.
Thanks, and gratefully - Bob

DrD

Moving way back to the time before I was a teen ager, my dad had a 78 rpm turn table and had every Glenn Miller record/album pressed: String of Pearls, Moonlight Serenade, In the Mood, Pennsylvania 6-5000, these were some that I personally wore out, playing over and over again.

Then there was John Phillip Sousa and his Marches! Not songs I know, but really great music!

Perhaps one last contribution, again for those my age from the movie Apocalypse Now, that gave us Lt. Col Kilgore's fairly insensitive quote about napalm, and the really cool rendition of Flight of the Valkeries.

Last edited:
Moving way back to the time before I was a teen ager, my dad had a 78 rpm turn table and had every Glenn Miller record/album pressed: String of Pearls, Moon;ight Serenade, In the Mood, Pennsylvania 6-5000, these were some that I personally wore out, playing over and over again.

Then there was John Phillip Sousa and his Marches! Not songs I know, but really great music!

Perhaps one last contribution, again for those my age from the movie Apocalypse Now, that gave us Lt. Col Kilgore's fairly insensitive quote about napalm, and the really cool rendition of Flight of the Valkeries.

There's only a few songs that get me dancing in my seat and "In the Mood" is one. Carlos Santana can get me going too as well as some of Dean Martin songs and there's lots more too. I grew up listening to the pipes and big band. Love the music and I have to agree with all the postings here, lots of great songs and artists. I appreciate classical music as well, we listened to it in the Operating Room to keep everyone calm, and it worked very well at keeping things stress free. I will say that there are only two songs that get me every time, "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Amazing Grace" done by a massed pipe band. I get a bit choked up every time I hear them.

DrD

Clap your hands just a little bit louder.

If you were into dancing music, there was no better place to be than in Memphis during the early to mid 60's. We routinely booked the Stax Records house band, Booker t and the MG's for our after game parties - Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Donald "Duck" Dunn, and Al Jackson, Jr. - great dance music, my favorite being the bands biggest hit: Green Onions.

Sorry I do apologize for violating the thread rule...but I can't help it. Little Sunflower is one of my #1 songs. Here's a funky rendition...

RULES?!!! As long as it's clean, free of any slurs, derogatory statements, finger pointing or belittling anyone it's good for me. Music is music, it should be shared for everyone to listen to and enjoy. And by all means, sharing includes music like you've got in your video. Very nice! Smooth as a good Tequila (Azul Plata comes to mind).

WriteON

RULES?!!! As long as it's clean, free of any slurs, derogatory statements, finger pointing or belittling anyone it's good for me. Music is music, it should be shared for everyone to listen to and enjoy. And by all means, sharing includes music like you've got in your video. Very nice! Smooth as a good Tequila (Azul Plata comes to mind).
Was just kidding. Good thread...having fun here. Will be posting more #1 songs as we go along. Music be the food of love Play On....

#1 acapella

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wow. Blast fro the past:

Gap Mangione, Steve Gadd, Marvin Stamm, Al Porcino, Lew Soloff, Vince DiMartino, and many more. The headliners got the bucks for the group, but the backup musicians were world class. Thanks for the memories! Nice Thread.

This thread got me thinking back and trying to remember old favorites that I'd forgotten.
I re-discovered what I think would have to be my favorite, most beautiful song ever.

"From The Beginning" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer

With headphones on....takes me right back to high school. The studio production is amazing.

robutacion

I love Canadian Brass
I love Julia Westin
I Love Bill Watrous
I love Chuck Mangione and Herb Alpert
I love Harry James
I love Christopher Bill
I love Earl Monroe
I Love Postmodern Jukebox (Thanks Ernie).
But maybe Eric Clapton - I shot the sheriff:
Oh boy Mark, I listen to that video clip, there is no doubt of the skills of Mr Clapton but I could listen to the bass guy all day long, bass sound and skills, I like that sort of bass...! đź‘Ť

I couldn't tell the number of songs that make the hairs of my arms stand up, some I haven't heard in decades...!

Cheers
George

Wow. Blast fro the past:

Gap Mangione, Steve Gadd, Marvin Stamm, Al Porcino, Lew Soloff, Vince DiMartino, and many more. The headliners got the bucks for the group, but the backup musicians were world class. Thanks for the memories! Nice Thread.

Interesting that Steve Gadd was also the drummer in the Clapton video you posted earlier.

Top Bottom