Your Daily Use Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I have this blank arriving today. Did you do any painting of the tube or inside of the hole, or just use the brass tube as-is?

I painted the tube and colored the epoxy. I don't know if it was necessary, the blank is fairly opaque. But I wasn't taking any chances.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tv68

I painted the tube and colored the epoxy. I don't know if it was necessary, the blank is fairly opaque. But I wasn't taking any chances.

Ah, ok thanks - this was very helpful. I ordered 3 of them, so I'm tempted to try one without painting (really just being lazy since I don't have that color paint at the moment). If that doesn't work though I now know exactly what I need!

qquake

Ah, ok thanks - this was very helpful. I ordered 3 of them, so I'm tempted to try one without painting (really just being lazy since I don't have that color paint at the moment). If that doesn't work though I now know exactly what I need!

A lot of it too, depends on the pen kit. Some are turned fairly thin, while some are turned thick. You can tell by the bushings. For instance, the Clip Bolt Action and the Celtic both use 3/8" tubes. But the CBA is turned down to 0.445", while the Celtic is turned to 0.525". Some are even thinner. The Executive is turned to 0.420". The thinner the acrylic, the more chance that the bare brass tube and/or epoxy will show through.

tv68

A lot of it too, depends on the pen kit. Some are turned fairly thin, while some are turned thick. You can tell by the bushings. For instance, the Clip Bolt Action and the Celtic both use 3/8" tubes. But the CBA is turned down to 0.445", while the Celtic is turned to 0.525". Some are even thinner. The Executive is turned to 0.420". The thinner the acrylic, the more chance that the bare brass tube and/or epoxy will show through.

That's a good point. I'm not all that great yet at guesstimating whether or not to paint based on blank material/color + thickness. I turned one of PSI's aromatherapy pens a couple weeks ago (which has slightly larger bushings than the CBA) and the brass tube did show through slightly. I had spray painted the tube white, but some chipped off as I was inserting the tube. However, I was also using a relatively translucent pink/white blank, so perhaps the Cosmic Dark Bronze blank will be more forgiving.

tv68

Had a chance to turn the Clip Bolt Action yesterday. I went the lazy route and didn't paint the blank or tube - there's a couple lighter spots where it's thinnest near the bushings, but I'm not unhappy with how it turned out overall.

Also, couldn't help myself and flattened the profile on my EDC olive wood pen I turned last week. I definitely prefer this one flat vs. rounded.

Attachments

• E3DBAA3A-0456-46F1-9D79-CEA464E0A5F0.jpeg
    E3DBAA3A-0456-46F1-9D79-CEA464E0A5F0.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 49224D05-AFC8-43E9-B377-DA8702543F72.jpeg
    49224D05-AFC8-43E9-B377-DA8702543F72.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 188

tv68

That looks really good. You can't see the tubes or glue, it just looks a tiny bit lighter on the ends.

Thanks..if I shine a light to it I think I can see a dab of glue, but it's very subtle. Still, if I were to turn this again I'd probably opt to paint as you did.

On another note, the blank kept catching no matter how much I tightened my mandrel saver. Took it off and found the tube had come unglued, so it had just been spinning. I figured since the tube looked "pre-scuffed", no need to sand it before applying the CA. Looks like I was wrong! Either that, or I should just make the switch to epoxy. :) Fortunately, was able to re-glue and save the blank.

PBorowick

I've learned (the hard way) to scuff the already "pre-scuffed" tube and clean it well with acetone before I epoxy it. Maybe it's my skin but I now wear nitrile gloves when epoxying tubes. Had one come apart and the portion that released looked a whole lot like my finger print. That and I really don't need to be coming into contact with epoxy or CA glue that often.

Grampy

I've learned (the hard way) to scuff the already "pre-scuffed" tube and clean it well with acetone before I epoxy it. Maybe it's my skin but I now wear nitrile gloves when epoxying tubes. Had one come apart and the portion that released looked a whole lot like my finger print. That and I really don't need to be coming into contact with epoxy or CA glue that often.

Don't the crime shows on TV use superglue to extract finger prints???

I also wear the Nitrile gloves whenever I epoxy (as you know cheap insurance...essentially went thru a whole box building that Kayak..)
I was wearing them (Nitrile) when I used CA.. but they stuck to the CA mercilessly and they came apart in use..
I bought 1 pair of Latex coated work gloves (<$2 @ HFT) as an experiment for use w/ CA.. they work great, that one pair has held up for several weeks now using the CA..

RicklesssS

Just turned the stainless EDC yesterday in olive wood, for some reason I'm not loving it. Are you using a flat profile? I think I might have preferred that with this pen.

Sorry so long to reply tv68.
No, I did not use a flat profile. They all use, to a varying degree, a rounded profile. I think I'll try a flat one next time around, because you maybe correct. Like I need another one...;>)

vtgaryw

I rotate two primarily. First is an antique brass Bolt Action in walnut. It's my best sales tool. I like playing with the clicker until someone notices. My 2nd one in rotation ia a chrome Knurl GT made from a piece of bowling alley.

mick

My daily writers when I'm in the shop drawing plans or figuring designs is a ultra fine line sharpie. I rarely carry I pen but when I do it's a Elegant Sierra made from a steampunk blank I made myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mick

Tony, I got some of these from Exotic Blanks yesterday. Do you like the the pen as far as size and feel? I'll probably start casting one if it's everything people say it is.

jokker78

PSI executive. In chrome. I like these pens. They have a good feel to them. They write good. They are not expensive.

Attachments

• 20200309_201849.jpg
    20200309_201849.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 95

WriteON

I mentioned early I do carry a pen. If I did it would be the PSI Civil War Pen with a Schmidt Parker. I like stubbies

TonyL

Tony, I got some of these from Exotic Blanks yesterday. Do you like the the pen as far as size and feel? I'll probably start casting one if it's everything people say it is.

I liked them. Between guitar playing and pitching, I barely have fingerprints, so I like the grip and the convenience of the click, one hand operation. I actually prefer to use F Ps, but not as a carry. I like the m3 material for EDC because it's durable. Just my personal preference. Before the edc, I used to carry executives.

Top Bottom