Younger Woodworker, Brand new Turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BlackGoatWW

Hi All,

I grew up on farms and was always around tools and machinery, but all my experience was always patching and fixing things never truly building. About six years ago in my late 20s I started woodworking as a hobby and I quickly morphed from a big box store lumber builder to making furniture from rough sawn wood. After completely building out my shop, my most recent floor standing (and I think final?) tool was a lathe I purchased this past week. Ive played around a little bit and made a few scraps first, and now I have completed a few pens and a bottle stopper this weekend. I have some silly nuanced questions about bushings, making sure MT2 chucks are properly seated, etc. I picked up a few books that Ive been reading through as well. I figured I could search through the forums and get some confirmation on what I'm trying to understand or ask the guys with a lot more experience. As someone who has s primarily built furniture its pretty satisfying to start and finish a project within an hour ready to go. I run a little bit of a side business doing some commissioned work under the name Black Goat Woodworking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Like you, Nate, I started out with furniture then Humidors and jewelry boxes and then smaller stuff and ended up with knives. I got started turning pens in 2017 and have really enjoyed it. Lots of fun, pretty quick for the most part and it doesn't require hours of gluing and clamping like furniture. Welcome to this great place to ask questions and get started. Lots of multi-yeared turners here.

BlackGoatWW

Like you, Nate, I started out with furniture then Humidors and jewelry boxes and then smaller stuff and ended up with knives. I got started turning pens in 2017 and have really enjoyed it. Lots of fun, pretty quick for the most part and it doesn't require hours of gluing and clamping like furniture. Welcome to this great place to ask questions and get started. Lots of multi-yeared turners here.

I've done one batch of knives with custom boxes. I made the blades custom with a story for each of the recipients, the scales were made from an old piece of teak decking from the battleship USS Missouri. The boxes were all from a spalted maple with ebony accents.

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I've done one batch of knives with custom boxes. I made the blades custom with a story for each of the recipients, the scales were made from an old piece of teak decking from the battleship USS Missouri. The boxes were all from a spalted maple log with ebony accents.

Way cool. I love everything Navy. Like you, I've collected a piece of every existing battle ship, including the last plank off the Missouri, for my personal collection. The only one I'm missing is the Alabama which they tried to convince me was a Battleship that never had it's decking replaced. So I'm still waiting for a piece off her. Once I get it my collection will be complete. Thanks for sharing, those are some pretty nice looking knives for sure.

BlackGoatWW

I realized I guess I should show some pens too! Here are my first in order of turning left to right: Walnut, Spalted Maple, Cocobolo, Padauk, and Zircote

Attachments

• IMG_2561 copy.jpg
    IMG_2561 copy.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 108
Top Bottom