You know your turning hobby is an obsession when..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

You're sitting on your bed in the bedroom of your rented house, looking at the planks in the nice hardwood floor. You see 2 planks that have beautiful birdseyes in them[:p][:p]. You start wondering how hard it would be to pry those planks up, and if you could replace them without anyone noticing, or how much of your security deposit you'd lose if the landlord did notice!

Luckily, you stop yourself from doing it b/c you don't know much about the planks in hardwood floors, but you at least tell yourself the wood wouldn't be thick enough to make a pen blank[V][V]. But wait[:0]... maybe you could still use them for inlay strips or do a glue-up of them! Hhhmmm... time to head back to the bedroom and plot some more...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
You are not the only one that does things like that! [:D] I notice wood everywhere; I notice burls on trees. I could go straight to several burls that I saw in my travels the past year. I remember exactly where several trees with burls are in Louisiana, MS, Tennessee and even on my trip to Alaska. I could go right to them.

The memories will not go away! Obsessed! [:D]

mrcook4570

Most solid hardwood floors are 3/4" thick - perfect for pen blanks. Check the basement/attic/closets for spare planks or take from closet floor to replace bedroom floor [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Take it from me, I have cut out and patched T&G flooring.
It is a pain in the A$$.(And probably would be noticeable)
I don't care HOW good the blanks might look.
(Of course the insult to injury would be if you moved out the landlord procedes to cover it with carpeting or rips it out for another type of flooring)
As far as prospective pen blanks go.It is even worse for me, I look at EVERYTHING and wonder if I can make a pen out of it.

alamocdc

Angela, I do it all the time. In fact, just this summer I was eyeballing some display shelves in a shop in Sedona, AZ while on vacation there. [:0] And the store owner was going to SELL them to me! I figured I couldn't afford them and left. I shoulda bought 'em!

clewless

Boss, I guess the shock treatment didn't work.[:)] I will schedule you for another appointment with your therapist...I think you need to go to Provo next June...could we make it a business trip...pleeze? [:D][;)]

Daniel

I think my low point came while setting on a beautiful wooden bench in a building built around the turn of the century. surrounded by all that wonderful woodwork, and all I could think to do to pass the time was calculate how many pen blanks the bench could be cut into.

angboy

Originally posted by clewless
<br />Boss, I guess the shock treatment didn't work.[:)] I will schedule you for another appointment with your therapist...I think you need to go to Provo next June...could we make it a business trip...pleeze? [:D][;)]

Thanks Joe- get that appointment set up right away. Do you remember- does she have wood floors? Does she take notes about me with a nice pen? [:p][:p]

I'll have to think about the business trip- could you submit a written proposal to me- not typed, but written in pen- letting me know how much wood will be there that I can take advantage of[^]? And will there be any women there? [}:)][}:)]

angboy

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Oh, Angela, can't you see Freud at work here?!?!? You are in your bedroom thinking of ............. Well, you get the idea. [:D][}:)][:D][}:)]

Cav- you're just terrible![:D] Good thing I didn't give any more details about things like what I was wearing at the time![^]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by angboy
<br />
<br />Oh, Angela, can't you see Freud at work here?!?!? You are in your bedroom thinking of ............. Well, you get the idea. [:D][}:)][:D][}:)]

Cav- you're just terrible![:D] Good thing I didn't give any more details about things like what I was wearing at the time![^]

Please tell me it wasn't one of Fangar's turning frocks!!!!! [8)]

chigdon

The last time I went to the Atlant Botanical Gardens I could not stop wondering how all of their specimen trees would look cut up into blanks in my shop?

angboy

<br />
Originally posted by angboy
<br />

Please tell me it wasn't one of Fangar's turning frocks!!!!! [8)]

Well, if he'd stripped for me for my birthday[:p], then I might have a frock, but as it is, since he didn't strip for me, I don't have one to wear! [:D]

woodscavenger

Every other morning I play basketball and when I am stretching I keep thinking....man what a waste.....I could make a great pen/box/whatever from that piece of spalted/birdseye/tiger maple.....

woodwish

I think I noticed I had a problem when I was serving as pallbearer at a friend's funeral. Noticed a burl on the side of tree in cemetery, and then tried to remember if I had my chain saw in my truck. Still haven't harvested it since it is in a key spot but everytime I drive by that cemetery I think about it.

Talking with some turning buddies last week and all of us were complaining that this hurricane season has produced no opportunities for harvesting trees, that usually is a perk of living of the Florida Gulf Coast this time of year. [}:)]

jssmith3

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />
Originally posted by jssmith3
<br />Angie, I will be in Provo so plan the trip, I could use the company [;)]
Janet ;)

What......you didn't like ours ! [:D] [}:)] [:D]
I loved your company Anthony and all the other guys but it's always nice to have another female around to BS with if ya know what I mean. [:D][}:)][;)]

Dario

When you are on an exotic place known for the night life (ladies, gambling, booze, etc) and you are NOT minding any of those and checking the root burls of trees around the hotels instead and wondering what tree could those be??? [B)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom