"You Can't Make a Pen from Art Resin!"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

Hey All

I had some Art Resin laying around after doing a tabletop pour. Normally I only use Alumilite Clear for Pen Blanks, but I had a couple ounces left over so I figured I'd try to make an Art Resin pen and see what happened.

This pen is paired with Canadiana Silver/Pewter hardware and a Schmidt Rollerball.

I learned a couple things:

1. You need very sharp tools and a delicate hand not to shatter Art Resin while turning;

2. It blunts carbide edges amazingly fast. (2-3 times faster than Alumilite or any other synthetic material I have used.);

3. It is much softer than Alumilite;

4. It is very hard to polish to a high shine but it can be polished to 90-95% of the polish of Alumilite;

5. It is Possible to make a Pen Blank from Art Resin but it isn't recommendable.

IMG_4957.JPG
IMG_4958.JPG
IMG_4955.JPG
IMG_4954.JPG
IMG_4956.JPG
IMG_4953.JPG

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

In spite of your challenges, you have a mighty nice looking pen; to me, the level of the sheen seems to be just what the blank material needs to make the pen quite distinguished. Good job!

FGarbrecht

Nice looking pen. I'm confused about the statement that it is softer than alumilite but dulls carbide more quickly; don't see how that happens unless the art resin contains really abrasive particles.

Nice looking pen. I'm confused about the statement that it is softer than alumilite but dulls carbide more quickly; don't see how that happens unless the art resin contains really abrasive particles.

I honestly don't understand it either. All I can say is that it seemed to dull the carbide really really quickly.

FGarbrecht

On the subject of alternative resins, I've been experimenting with UV resins (since I have a resin printer). I haven't tried printing a simple pen blank, but I'm sure it could be done; I've designed some pens (fountain pen parts) in Fusion360 and have been trying to see if I can print a whole pen. No luck so far. All kinds of technical problems, but I shall persist, slowly.....

bmachin

Really nice looking pen and quite possibly the first Artresin pen shown here.

Like you I'm primarily an Alumilite guy and have never seen the need to use epoxy for any of the blanks that I pour. With that said, I took the time to look up the properties of Liquid Diamonds, ArtResin and Alumilite Clear. Surprisingly , they are quite similar. In fact the durometer hardness is identical, so I'm surprised that you find that the epoxy is softer than the urethane.

If you go back a couple of years or so you will find a thread started by a member who goes by jcjc. This thread was the first mention of ArtResin I believe. jcjc is not a penturner but brought it up because it contains an additive that makes it UV stable. Liquid Diamonds came along at about the same time and was picked up by turners. As far as I know yours is the first report on using it as a turning medium.

Being the hardhead that I am, I'll probably have to go out and buy some LD and ArtResin and do a little testing.

FWIW

Bill

Fred Bruche

Nice looking pen!
Could it be that the resin was actually leaving residue sticking on your tool rather than dulling it?
Art Resin was developed primarily for coating, thus it doesn't cure as stiff as casting resins. I have some sheets (10"x10"x3/8") of Art resin that I poured a couple of years ago that are still flexible to this day and that I can bend with little force (and they go back to their original flat form). LD is a casting resin and doesn't have these issues.

Nice looking pen!
Could it be that the resin was actually leaving residue sticking on your tool rather than dulling it?
Art Resin was developed primarily for coating, thus it doesn't cure as stiff as casting resins. I have some sheets (10"x10"x3/8") of Art resin that I poured a couple of years ago that are still flexible to this day and that I can bend with little force (and they go back to their original flat form). LD is a casting resin and doesn't have these issues.

I wasn't getting any residue buildup, but I have noticed that it came off on long strings. Kind of like when you turn moose antler. The effect on the carbide was noticeable though. It easily dulled 2x faster than any other synthetic material I've used.

Top Bottom