York Gum Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

A piece of mostly sapwood York Gum Burl on a Professor.
The original blank looked like it had about equal parts of dark and light timber, but unfortunately most of the darker wood was turned off, leaving mostly sapwood.

DSC_9719 (1).jpg

DSC_9725.jpg

DSC_9729.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Thanks Peter.
I am in two minds on the backgrounds. If done well, it can set the scene for your pen and create interest for the viewer, but on the other hand, it can take the focus off the pen.
Over the last few years, I have spent a bit of time on a couple of photography forums, I have found that photographers prefer to see the pen with a background, and/or props. But I get the feel that the average penturner prefers the "no clutter" look.
I usually post photos with little or nothing to detract, or draw attention away from the pen, but I do like to experiment now and then.

WarEagle90

Brad, you did a great job on the pen. I actually like the crossword puzzle background. In this particular case, the background accentuates the wood and compliments the metal parts of the pen. The "checker boarding" of the crossword puzzle really makes the knurling of the pen stand out. The background in the last 2 photos generally does nothing to highlight the pen. Now, please don't get me wrong, they still show a beautiful pen, its just the selection of the crossword puzzle really works. I guess it all comes down to selecting the "right" background and you did a great job.

Disclaimer: The above feedback was given by a very novice, casual observer so take it with a grain of salt ;)

Ironwood

Brad, you did a great job on the pen. I actually like the crossword puzzle background. In this particular case, the background accentuates the wood and compliments the metal parts of the pen. The "checker boarding" of the crossword puzzle really makes the knurling of the pen stand out. The background in the last 2 photos generally does nothing to highlight the pen. Now, please don't get me wrong, they still show a beautiful pen, its just the selection of the crossword puzzle really works. I guess it all comes down to selecting the "right" background and you did a great job.

Disclaimer: The above feedback was given by a very novice, casual observer so take it with a grain of salt ;)
Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback Dan. It's helps to get a wide cross section to see what influences people the most.
The plain background is better for documenting the pen, I think. While the background using props, is trying to sell the pen to the viewer, putting it into a scene that they can relate to using a pen.

Top Bottom