Yin-Yang Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Yin-Yang inspired bowl made from Sweet Gum. Design incorporates a series of three of the teardrop shaped symbols that form Yin-Yang chained around the bowl rather than interlocked. Finished with Bush Oil. Around 7" (18 cm) across. Made this as a public demo at The Woodworking Show when it came to West Springfield MA. Currently a matte finish, trying to decide if it should have a more gloss finish. My first turning of 2012.

Attachments

• Yin Yang Bowl 01.jpg
    Yin Yang Bowl 01.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 352
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone!

I did most of the piercing at The Woodworking Show. Two local turning clubs were sharing a 20'x30' space at the show with 5 or 6 modern lathes and a pair of 1860s vintage tredle lathes. I brought my piercing setup and spent 16 hours piercing and talking. I pretty much had a constant audience asking questions, so my voice was shot by Sunday afternoon.

I have not posted any new stuff in a couple months as I was away from home on vacation for six weeks. Turned this piece the weekend after I got back, and pierced it at the show the following weekend.

I'm going to try for a satin finish, I think if I just keep putting on a new coat of Bush Oil every day, it will shift to satin in a couple more days. I think gloss would have too many reflective hot spots that would distract from the piercing.

Top Bottom