Yet another purple pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Displaced Canadian

I didn't want to do it, but I was told she really liked purple. This one was cast using Diamond resin. I've made a few pens with this stuff and so far I like it. I think it cures a little harder than Alumilite and seems to polish a little better. It also needs 24-48 hours to cure. The nib has an ebonite section and some shape leading into the stainless tip. I've noticed if you do a highly polished tapered metal front section the pen can be difficult to hold on to. The dark picture came about when I was trying to show the detail in the jewel in the cap to the nieces and nephew. You couldn't see it that well in the shop lighting so I shined a flashlight up the cap. It came alive so we did the same to the pen body took this picture. I'm starting to think I should forget pen blanks and start making nightlights.

Attachments

• Bev pen 1.jpg
    Bev pen 1.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Bev pen 2.jpg
    Bev pen 2.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Bev pen 3.jpg
    Bev pen 3.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 146
  • lit pen.jpg
    lit pen.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 150
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

"Yet another purple pen" - you make it sound so boring. I like purple and the fade looks really nice on this pen. Did you make the metal nib?

"Yet another purple pen" - you make it sound so boring. I like purple and the fade looks really nice on this pen. Did you make the metal nib?
Yes I did. It threads into the ebonite section. It's roughly turned to shape on the metal lathe but final contouring was done with a file. I wanted to create a "bump" for your fingers to rest against when using the pen.

TonyL

I wouldn't sell any non-woods if it is wasn't for:
Purple
Pink
Blue
Turquoise

I am exaggerating of course, but those are my best sellers and most requested colors followed by red and green.

Nice job!

The color gradient makes it really special, I've seen that on other pens you posted previously. Are you casting these blanks in a tube?
The gradient look is intentional. I think it gives you a look that stands out from the rest. The button in the top of the cap is made from a scrap off the opposite end of the blank. Yes they are cast in a tube. I cast round blanks because it wastes less resin than square (I'm cheap that way.) I also think they look better. I only cast around 3 blanks at a time because my pressure pot is a section of galvanized pipe.

Top Bottom