Yet another new rosewood for me to try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Small leaf zitan. From India (or so I am told). This stuff is heavy as a brick. My oak blanks usually weigh in at about 2 ounces. This blank was 3.2 ounces. (Platinum Baron - I thought it was worthy)
200533224547_SmallLeafZitan.jpg

Critiques appreciated... and thank you for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I know you guys are making these names up [:D] I wish I had the time to keep all of you honest [:D] But I really got to get some work done.

Very beautifull pen Lou, I wood have guessed Violet or Flame wood.

ilikewood

Actually Anthony, Zitan is a rosewood that is extremely heavy and hard. It was reserved for the Imperial families in India/Asia and is available in limited (and expensive) quantities today. Although nearly extict it can be obtained from legit sources that are benefiting environmental groups.

ilikewood

At least your a ginny! I belong to the Heinz 57 family (that's 57 flavors all rolled into one)[8D]

BTW- there is a reason my nickname is "ilikewood". Serious addiction...just can't help myself.

WoodChucker

Lou, your pens are looking better and better all the time! This one is a beaut and you did a fantastic job on it. Thanks for sharing!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you one and all! Your comments keep me going when I get a little down about my skill level. Your support sends me back to the shop everytime!

Bill - this one's nice enough that it will take an appreciable amount of "greenmail" to get it away from me. [;)]

Anthony - Don't kid me. I know you're the Duke of Cave Creek![;)]

cigarman - this piece actually came from a piece of furniture that was damaged in a party at the Embassy of India a couple of months back. I think Mac in Oak Ridge found a supplier, though. Seems to me he posted that he has ordered some. [?]

Lynn - I don't use a CA finish. I think they look beautiful, but I actually enjoy hand-rubbing the lacquer, coat-by-coat. (No comment from you guys in the peanut gallery! [:D])

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mac where did you find a source for Zitan.... COME ON.. give it up... we will find you and get the info... VEE HAF OUR VAYS.... LOL

Rifleman1776

There is someone on eBay that sells furniture made of zitan. A nice chair can be bought for about $250.00. For someone who wants to make the investment, you could buy the chair, cut up into blanks. The blanks could be sold or made into $100.00 pens.

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Mac where did you find a source for Zitan.... COME ON.. give it up... we will find you and get the info... VEE HAF OUR VAYS.... LOL

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />There is someone on eBay that sells furniture made of zitan. A nice chair can be bought for about $250.00. For someone who wants to make the investment, you could buy the chair, cut up into blanks. The blanks could be sold or made into $100.00 pens.
The chair on eBay right now, listing for $295, is 8"x4"x3". Based on the dimensions, I'm not sure you could get more than 3-4 blanks out of it.

What about it, Mac? Where did you find this stuff?

It will be the end of May or into June before I get the wood. I have enough to get about 6 pen blanks out of it, if I am not flim flamed. Take my word it is expensive, we are in the $15 per blank area.

Until I get my hands on what I have coming and can verify that it is the real McCoy and not South American Rosewood that is being mis-labeled, I won't give the source. I would hate for others to stick their neck out on my say so and get it cut off.
Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom