Yes one more CA Problem / Swirling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Federman

Does anyone have any thoughts on swirling created by applying CA for finishing? I have looked for previous posts but may have missed it. Nothing relating to this specific issue.

I have prepared the blanks for finish. I apply a pool of Slow Curing CA on a paper towel and apply the CA and BLO. It creates swirls every time I try it. I therefore have to sand to get the swirls out.
I am pretty sure tit is the application of the clue that is the problem but cannot figure out what is wrong.

I have tried different glue (thick/thin), Papertowels, lathe speed, etc...

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

You may be applying too much CA and/or not moving your finger down the blank fast enough. BLO and CA react rather rapidly, however, the slow setting CA seems to give me a bit longer working time. Also, if the material is warm it will react faster. Do the CA/BLO in layers with a bit of polishing in between each layer.

Try getting the CA and maybe even the BLO cooled down. You do have a refrigerator in the shop for the beverages ... right! [}:)]

Federman

Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />You may be applying too much CA and/or not moving your finger down the blank fast enough. BLO and CA react rather rapidly, however, the slow setting CA seems to give me a bit longer working time. Also, if the material is warm it will react faster. Do the CA/BLO in layers with a bit of polishing in between each layer.

Try getting the CA and maybe even the BLO cooled down. You do have a refrigerator in the shop for the beverages ... right! [}:)]

Maybe the heat of where I am working has something to do with it.
I don't think I am using too much CA or going too slow. I will try cooling the CA on the next one and see if it is any different.
Thanks, anything new helps.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Be careful if you put your CA in the fridge. If you live in a humid area, when you take the CA out of the fridge, water vapor may condense on the inside of the bottle and ruin the CA.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I get swirls occasionally with thick CA and paper towel. I put BLO on the paper towel, let it soak in and put the CA on top of that and rub/spread it on and have less problem this way. I just recently went back to CA BLO rather than CA alone and much of the swirl with thick CA stopped. Medium and thin give me not problems. This is in a 85% and there abouts humidity shop.

Federman

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />... I put BLO on the paper towel, let it soak in and put the CA on top of that and rub/spread it on and have less problem this way. ...

I thought BLO was a Catalyst for CA. Wouldn't that activate it more? I may be way off...

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Federman
<br />
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />... I put BLO on the paper towel, let it soak in and put the CA on top of that and rub/spread it on and have less problem this way. ...

I thought BLO was a Catalyst for CA. Wouldn't that activate it more? I may be way off...

It is done both ways. Either ways is fine. There have been discussions as to which is more effective. I find that if I use paper towel, thick and sometimes medium CA, get the least bit distracted and lose my focus, CA grabs the paper towel - on about one in 8 to 10 pens. It hasn't happened since I started putting the BLO on the paper towel first.

I put 3 or 4 drops of BLO on part the towel and fold to soak it in - that is on the layer that I will use to apply the CA.

Others will have just as good advice for doing it the other way. A few months ago, Russ Fairfield had a good article on making pens this way or that, finishing with that or this - and in the end all looking just as great. It comes down to an individual's style and what works best for him or her. I started with CA/BLO dropped the BLO for a year and am back on it - since 3 months ago.

My problem was that I used a lot of oily woods and often had separation of CA on the ends. So I stopped BLO altogether. It didn't help that much. I started using the "no Mandrel" method about 3 months ago, had great success and started back with the BLO, but putting it on the paper towel first - which has helped prevent paper towel grab from the thick CA on the blanks.

I could be wrong in my assumptions, but it is working for me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom