YCB and Acrylic Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

Kitless #10
Yellow Cedar Burl sleeved with acrylic. Section uses a Beaufort Ink sleeve.
Minimal finish on this one. I need to put this to use and see how it ages before I finish more this way.
12mm cap threads
135.5mm OAL
16.4mm Max OD
13.5 Min OD
25g weight.
Q, C & C welcome.
0675D253-2DC8-4F1B-8932-3BD0DE3D18A5.jpeg
C0BDDBC0-3BC5-4CB9-8E6B-7B2088C571FC.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Interesting combination of material. Going to have to give this one some time to sink in because right now not agreeing with the combo but it may grow on me. Always love your detailed cap ends

PatrickR

Interesting combination of material. Going to have to give this one some time to sink in because right now not agreeing with the combo but it may grow on me. Always love your detailed cap ends
Thanks for your opinion. My thinking on the color was to try and make the wood the main focus.

Chriscb

Stunning burr blank, interesting acrylic. My eye tells me that if the length of the caps were shorter, at least equal to or slightly larger than the centre band, then the pen would balance. I think then that the colour contrast would work well. Phils steel sections are a great idea - used to good effect here.
All in all a great pen. Well done.
Chriscb

Painfullyslow

I haven't seen the yellow cedar burl before, it's quite stunning!

I understand the intention of having the wood be the focus (which it definitely is) but for me, the plain taupe colored acrylic is *so* painfully plain that it draws my eye. In my opinion (and we all know that is pretty much worthless) it kind of gives the pen a 'cheap' feel. I think if that were a solid black that it wouldn't bother me in the least so who knows.

In any case, flawless execution; love the detail in the cap and the threads look absolutely perfect.

PatrickR

Stunning burr blank, interesting acrylic. My eye tells me that if the length of the caps were shorter, at least equal to or slightly larger than the centre band, then the pen would balance. I think then that the colour contrast would work well. Phils steel sections are a great idea - used to good effect here.
All in all a great pen. Well done.
Chriscb
All part of design on the fly ( I don't like working from drawings or making the same thing repeatedly) Some win, some not so much. on a few previous pens I was very carefull to keep the caps and the band the same width but the barrel to cap transition I chose and the length of the blanks pushed it this way.

every time I use the section sleeves I wonder why even make one from scratch, strong and easy. Definitely perfect for wood sections. Regrettably they are not available in the USA and the shipping is tough to swallow.

showcaser

It's a great pen in my opinion. So often the custom pens look the same, this does not. Is it the stainless steel section sleeve you used?

PatrickR

It's a great pen in my opinion. So often the custom pens look the same, this does not. Is it the stainless steel section sleeve you used?
Thanks!
Yes, the stainless sleeve from Beaufort is what I used.
The swirling color blanks are very popular so there are a lot of pens made out of them. I like to use them but in small doses, and I like earthtones.

showcaser

Thanks!
Yes, the stainless sleeve from Beaufort is what I used.
The swirling color blanks are very popular so there are a lot of pens made out of them. I like to use them but in small doses, and I like earthtones.
you and me both. Earthtone blanks are actually kind of hard to find too. ThePensmiths has some very nice blanks and runs his business like a champ. Great accent colors and demonstrator blanks. I'm not affiliated with him, but feel confident in recommending his business.

PatrickR

you and me both. Earthtone blanks are actually kind of hard to find too. ThePensmiths has some very nice blanks and runs his business like a champ. Great accent colors and demonstrator blanks. I'm not affiliated with him, but feel confident in recommending his business.
Solid color blanks in general are less common. I just got a box from the Pensmiths a week ago and ordered several of the accent colors and demonstrators.
Mackenzie has the master series that has some nice solids that I will try sometime. They are pigment based making some colors pricey.

TDahl

I like the pen design and your craftsmanship of course. Nice job. I love the burl material, but I think the acrylic accents draw more of my attention to them at first and not the burl material. I am not sure if it is the color or the opaqueness of the acrylic. Maybe something a little more translucent with a little more depth to accent the characteristics of the burl. Just a thought. It is still a very beautiful pen.

PatrickR

I like the pen design and your craftsmanship of course. Nice job. I love the burl material, but I think the acrylic accents draw more of my attention to them at first and not the burl material. I am not sure if it is the color or the opaqueness of the acrylic. Maybe something a little more translucent with a little more depth to accent the characteristics of the burl. Just a thought. It is still a very beautiful pen.
Mixed opinions on this one. I guess its just personal taste. obviously I like it and have put it into use.
my harshest critic, my wife likes it, so all is good.

sorcerertd

That's a gorgeous pen and excellent workmanship! I love the way you worked the burl into the end cap, too. I do agree that the lack of contrast intended to not distract from the wood kind of draws attention to the ends, but it certainly doesn't detract from the beauty. The only way to truly distract from a blank that beautiful would be to use hot pink or lime green. (Please don't do that.) I'm sure that the use of the the tan acrylic only stands out to those of us who are used to ruthlessly scrutinizing our own work based on our own personal preferences.

Top Bottom