Yaupon Holly ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Anyone tried turning yaupon holly?

I saw some trashed at a sidewalk and can get it but not sure if it is worth the trouble. Biggest is about 4" dia and there is probably 6 feet total of it there (2 pcs x 3' each).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

How white is it? If it's big enough to turn into a bowl or vase, you could always dye it to bring out the grain.

C'mon Dario...you're asking a bunch of wood junkies whether it's worth picking up wood? Especially with YOUR lathe? That's like asking a drug addict if...well, it's a family site...

Dario

Jim,

As I said it is only 4" diameter...not that big. It is not as white as the holly I've seen here that is why I am asking. My storage space is getting tight too and would like to limit my collecting to better stock if at all possible. I can afford to be a bit picky now with my current stash [:D][:p]

Pikebite

Dario

I think I can help you out.[}:)] If you send me some of that nasty dry wood you have been keeping for ages I can store it for you. Then you will have loads of room for some nice new shiny wood.[:)]

airrat

Dario sounds like a chef's special is due.

Also being in Az my climate is similar to yours, I can store/take some of that wood for you. My parents have plenty of space at their place. [:D][:eek:)]

I would so hate for you to miss out on picking up some of the "good stuff" due to limited space. Anything I can do to help out my friend, just let me know. [:p]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dario,

You cannot tell just by looking at the end how white it is going to be. In November, I cut some 2 1/2 inch branches from a tree at the house that I used to live in when I lived in the Osaka area. IN December I turned two pens and they were much whiter than I was expecting. The branch ends when cross cut with a hand saw or chain saw shows much more yellow than when cut by a sharp bladed table saw.

Being in SA where you don't have a lot of real cold weather, if you save it, dry it fast or put it in a freezer; otherwise it will turn gray or have gray spots from the sap.

Dario

Thanks guys. I will get the bigger pieces and see how it comes out.

BTW...I know I can always count on my friends for free wood storage or help in disposing them...you are the best!!! LOL [}:)][:D]

Hank the tip is much appreciated.[^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom