Yahoo! penturners database...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Any of you folks who frequent Yahoo penturners have probably seen the discussions about creating a database on your PC of all the group's articles using a program called PG Offline. Well, I've gone a bit farther. I've developed some software to retrieve the Yahoo articles from a Web server, and written a search front-end for the database.

It's still a little rough around the edges, but if you have occasion to want to dig into the Yahoo! archive, feel free to have a look.

The database is automatically updated every couple hours.

http://www.penturners.org/yg/penturners.asp

I'd appreciate any feedback you'd care to provide, either in this topic or privately to me at sparks@ts4b.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Nifty!
Makes finding information alot easier. I just entered "stabalizing" thinkI may have blown a fuse in the system but I wanted to give a serious test.
Seems it did a fine job. even saw myself in there a couple of times.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Daniel. I might have been working on it at the time... You're in there more than a couple times [:)]. Putting "Yourdon" in the from field search got me 665 hits!

Daniel

Yeh, I've been around their for nearly two years. I've started coming here more often. the conversations are easier to keep up with. Plus I ruffled a few feathers not long ago. I apologize to anyone on this sight that was theri for that. i never intended to stir up anything. But that's how it goes sometimes when you have a large mix of people.
the search tool really helps when it comes to needing to find specific information. You have no idea how many times I had to search page after page of the archives to find something like CA Finish or something. It was like giving up an entire day just to do the search.
their is alot of information on those pages and this really helps make it usable.
eventually alot of that will find it's way here. it is much better cataloged here. under catagories and such. much nicer to put a comment right in the same thread also. even a post a year old here can have something added to it right on the same page where everyone can find it. simply much more organized and usable that way.
anyway. yahoo is full of many friends and I have nothing against it. but better is better. and I like this setting.
I belong to many other club type groups (music and other interests). and this one has the looks adnd feel of some of the most succesful groups I belong to. hunfreds of thousands of members. give this one a couple of years and I really believe it will be a huge hit. it is growing in leaps and bounds now. New articlae on a consistant but digestable pace. more photos showing up every day. adn it is only a matter of time when detailed direction on every aspect of penturning starts getting added.
start with lathe choices, tool selection, manderal options, adn just keep going. as a group effort this would not take long to put together
but then I'm off on one of those binges that gets me into trouble now.
so till later
thanks for your search tool

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Daniel, you're a great contributor to this forum. Any success we enjoy will be a result of you and others like you. Speaking of contributions... I just posted your great article on drying wood. I have a microwave that was ruined by "the popcorn incident" [:)] that would be perfect for drying some blanks.

Daniel

Jeff,
Thanks for posting the article. and such a shame about the microwave. snicker snicker. such a shame that we have to move such things off to our shops isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom