Xmas came early this year!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

A very generous woodworking buddy gave me 2 chunks of cocobolo, and said make something nice with these. He cut 6' chunks of a piece 4" x 5" x 36". Attached is an example. The knob is purpleheart. The wood had some checks which meant it wasn't possible to use all of each piece. I took them over to his place and it turned out they were for xmas presents for his wife and niece. He was so pleased that he gave me the rest of the wood :). Even allowing for the checks I now have a lot of nicely figured, multi color cocobolo! I cut it up on the bandsaw avoiding the checks as best I could. I will make some pen blanks from the smaller pieces but haven't decided what to do with the rest. I will probably make something similar for my wife and granddaughter.

Attachments

• 2022-11-18_14-09-36.jpg
    2022-11-18_14-09-36.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 101
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I sanded to 600, followed by UltraShine, then Shellawax and topped with paste wax. I have taken to using this approach for most things including pens. It isn't as as durable as CA but it is quick, easy and reliable.

BULLWINKLE

A very generous woodworking buddy gave me 2 chunks of cocobolo, and said make something nice with these. He cut 6' chunks of a piece 4" x 5" x 36". Attached is an example. The knob is purpleheart. The wood had some checks which meant it wasn't possible to use all of each piece. I took them over to his place and it turned out they were for xmas presents for his wife and niece. He was so pleased that he gave me the rest of the wood :). Even allowing for the checks I now have a lot of nicely figured, multi color cocobolo! I cut it up on the bandsaw avoiding the checks as best I could. I will make some pen blanks from the smaller pieces but haven't decided what to do with the rest. I will probably make something similar for my wife and granddaughter.
Absolutely awesome. And some small flaws or checks are a reminder of it being from nature and as such not perfect. In my opinion it adds a bit of character. It's a beautiful piece to be proud of !

BULLWINKLE

I sanded to 600, followed by UltraShine, then Shellawax and topped with paste wax. I have taken to using this approach for most things including pens. It isn't as as durable as CA but it is quick, easy and reliable.
Beautiful finish. Not as durable as CA but more natural. I'm not a fan of CA as it "plasticizes" the wood. I am a fan of EEE ultra shine and Shellawax. It brings out the beauty of the wood rather than covering it with acrylic. I do make some acrylic pens as well as wood but I never mix the two. They each are unique and should stay that way

NGLJ

Agree about both small flaws and looking natural, and the EEE and Shellawax. I have done some CA pens and I often ask what people prefer by way of a finish. I would say the majority prefer the more natural look. But as they say, "your experience may vary" :).

Top Bottom