X-Acto handles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonC

JasonC

I made an X-Acto handle for myself. Years ago I bought an off-brand X-acto that had a simple plastic/rubber sleeve. After years of use it had become warped from compression when tightening the knife blade into the collet.

So I grabbed a piece of Amboyna burl and got to work.
1520746_4192206700733_6306892238565052419_n.jpg

10157157_4192206500728_7138033464622094898_n.jpg

Also tried a segmented X-Acto from curly Koa and an acrylic - Solar Flare, I think it's called.
10267773_4225821021070_6318448364635897247_n.jpg

I then had a guy contact me, saying his father has been a modeler for over 30 years and he'd like to have me make an X-Acto knife for him. He wanted the same material - Amboyna burl. Since I've been a modeler for years as well, I told him I thought a set would be the way to go. One for the small, light duty stuff and another for larger tasks. I showed him images of all four sides of my Amboyna blanks and let him pick the two he wanted.

Here's what I made.
1424448_4235917633479_8985760097944546843_n.jpg

10171834_4235917753482_4241994406780519800_n.jpg

10253783_4235918033489_4815302275939214731_n.jpg

10150533_4235918313496_2623538178200025100_n.jpg

10152424_4235919073515_7484679637362986277_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Those are very cool. I've made a few of those myself, but never with amboyna. I need to make a few more. I've used one for a few years in my shop. It's covered in CA, and hardened pr room pouring blanks. So for me, doing one with anything like amboyna is out of the question.

Yours are beautiful. :good:

Old Codger

Awesome Jason!!! I continuously amazed at the variety of options turners come up with for projects. Your idea is one I'll 'file away' for later use as I'm sure many other turners will... Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you and yours!

JasonC

Thanks, guys.

That first one was a test mule, just to see if it was feasible. After posting the picture on Facebook it wasn't long before I had an order come in.

I now have another guy ordering two pen and X-Acto sets - one set with Amboyna, the other with Amboyna burl caps cast in a blue acrylic with some flake.

Great job! Now I have another idea for my customers.

Awesome, as one of the newest guys on the forum, I'm glad (and humbled) that others like the idea so much.

I'm thoroughly impressed….great idea I think I'll put to use!!:cool:

It's pretty simple to make. I'm using X-Acto's Gripster.

Just drill the blank with a 7mm bit like you're doing a slimline (pretty sure everyone here has a 7mm). This will allow the shaft of the X-Acto to pass through the blank without excessive play. Slide a couple of spare slimline brass tubes into the blank, but DO NOT GLUE THEM. You're only going to use the brass tubes to take up excess play while you trim the barrel ends square. I use a Whiteside barrel trimmer in a cordless drill. Drill just enough to see that you've cut a flat on the end of the blank. Trim both ends and remove the brass tube.

The shank of the the aluminum ferrule for the collet is slightly larger than 7mm. I just take my time with a Dremel and open the ferrule end up a hair at a time until the ferrule is a light press fit into the blank. You don't want it to be a heavy press fit or you'll risk cracking the blank. When opening the ferrule end of the blank up with the Dremel it's best to get just the tip of the shank into the blank then cut deeper (down the length of the blank) to allow the shank of the ferrule to fully seat in the blank.

Once I know the opening in the ferrule end of the blank will allow the ferrule to fully seat I double-check the fit of the blank to the ferrule. There should be no gaps. Once you've confirmed that there are no gaps, glue the ferrule into the blank. I use medium CA with no accelerator. Press the ferrule in and, if you'd like, insert the aluminum shaft that tightens the collet (as well as the collet) into the X-Acto and draw it tight. This will serve as a clamp until the CA fully cures.

When the CA has cured it's time for the lathe. Since the ferrule is glued into the blank I place that end on the tailstock side of the lathe and use a tapered CA bushing to center the blank on the mandrel. For the other end I use a slim bushing and a CA bushing. I use the CA bushings because they'll center the blank no matter what the ID of the blank is. I really need to make some nice, durable bushings like that that withstand a more clamping force than the plastic CA bushings. :redface:

Turn down the blank to the diameter of the ferrule - about .360" (9.13mm for the rest of the world). Sand and finish. I like to use a CA finish.

For the larger handle - believe it or not - I just drilled a hole to the proper depth for the portion of the shank that would be pressed into the handle to the proper diameter to allow me to thread in a woodworm screw that you'd use turning bowls. Live center on the tailstock for support and I got to work.

When I had the blank turned to the proper diameter I used a parting tool and a skew to shape the rounded end of the handle then sanded, applied a CA finish, and used the Dremel to clean up the opening in the blank for the shank of the tool to press fit in the handle.

And I noticed in the pictures that there appear to be fine scratches going around the larger handle. There are no scratches. That seems to have been some smudged oil from "cleaning" the handles before pictures by wiping them with my t-shirt. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BSea

That's a great tutorial.:good: One other thing you can do is a matching end piece. The knurled end piece provides a great gluing surface. I use epoxy. And you don't have to worry about line up when you do an end piece. The alignment is done when you tighten the blade.

Now I need to do the other holder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom