Wow, time flies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

I just realized that I didn't turn a single pen during the month of June. And, July is not starting out too well either. Maybe all these severe storms are affecting my shop time more than I thought. Speaking of which, does anybody have a need for about 60 - 70 tons of White Oak? o_O

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

It took out 100 ft of chain link fence and tore up the back yard, but at least it missed the house, by about 20 feet. I'm also finding out that professional tree companies are expensive...

MRDucks2

In Houston, trees under 12" were $100 with the firewood cut and stacked if they were working a neighborhood.

Having someone come in to cut down a 90' sweet gum and remove all the limbs and leave the trunk in firewood length for me to do something with as well as remove the dead limbs and vines from another gum tree was $600 and that took a lot of negotiating.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Two weeks agoI had a company give me a "free estimate;" they were looking for work. They picked 6 miscellaneous trees with no sound rationale. Ranged between 30' and 80' high. $5,000 to drop, cut and leave in place. $7,000 for full removal. They are still looking for work...

gtriever

To have one on the ground and four standing removed are going to cost $12,000 here. The smallest of the five is 4 ft in diameter and 110 ft tall ; the largest is at least 6 ft in diameter and approximately 130 ft tall. Add the fact that the tree companies here are backed up by all the storm and tornado damage we've had over the past 6 weeks and they can pretty much get what they want.

MRDucks2

You guys need to find what we in Southern Indiana call a "custom logger". Usually these are guys who work for bigger sawmills and will BUY decent trees on the side to fell and saw, often on a 50/50 split. They gather up small quantities and lay them out on their property until they have enough or the timing is right to bring a buyer in.

Even if they all go tie logs and you made nothing it would be better than paying that much. May a take a little time for them to get to it but it would worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I start logging some of my property today mainly for fire mitigation. Going to start doing the logging/mitigation a 1/2 acre at a time. I'll cut the trees into wood stove lengths and chip the rest. Later this summer I'll start cutting up all the dead fall and it will become fire wood too. By the time I'm done this year I'll probably have around 10 or so cords of wood. At least tick season is over...I hope.

sbwertz

I had a storm take the whole top out of my fifty year old Chinese elm last year. Took off the top in one piece and deposited it on the neighbor's roof, and broke four big limbs. Cost me 600 dollars to have them retrieve the top from the neighbor's roof, cut out the four big broken limbs, cut back several overly long limbs that were in danger of going in the next big storm, cut everything 4 inches or larger into two foot length and stack it, and haul away the rest. My tree went from 40 feet tall and 60 feet wide to 30 feet tall and 40 feet wide, but is much healthier now, if rather flat on top. Already beginning to recover its shape.

pshrynk

I had a dying poplar in my side yard that needed to be removed. Unfortunately, there was an iron fence, a stucco entrance, a maturing oak, a garage, and, oh yeah, a house in the way for traditional felling. So they had to come and crane it out as they sawed it into manageable parts. $2400 all told. It was about 80 ft tall.

Mike Washburg

Much like health insurance isn't designed to keep you healthy and only kicks in once you're sick or injured, many homeowners insurance policies will do nothing about large trees near a home until it's too late. The trees may be past their prime, or particularly subject to storms. But the insurance company won't pay anything for preventative measures. They wait and pay a lot more later if the tree falls on a house or vehicle or fence. I'm not a businessman, but it doesn't seem like a good business practice to me.

pshrynk

Much like health insurance isn't designed to keep you healthy and only kicks in once you're sick or injured, many homeowners insurance policies will do nothing about large trees near a home until it's too late. The trees may be past their prime, or particularly subject to storms. But the insurance company won't pay anything for preventative measures. They wait and pay a lot more later if the tree falls on a house or vehicle or fence. I'm not a businessman, but it doesn't seem like a good business practice to me.
Same with smoking prevention and most other illness prevention strategies.

gtriever

Cleanup is going slow because of all the rain and wet ground. OTOH, the critters are liking it... here's a pic of three out of the dozen or so that are "visiting".

Attachments

• Deer-02_web.jpg
    Deer-02_web.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 189
Top Bottom