Wow...that was quick!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I normally hate any threads that advertise for vendors just because that's where they got the stuff from or because they felt obliged to mention that they got a couple of so called freebies. What they probably didn't mention was that they only got the freebies cos they took so long to deliver....whatever.

I don't want junk, I want speed!!
I ordered a bunch of stuff from Timberbits on the 5th and the stuff was waiting for me today, the 8th !!!! Australia to UK in three days!!!

No freebies, no delays, no BS, just damned quick!!

I have just found my new one stop shop!!

Thanks Timberbits!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I just did 2 separate orders with them and got them quicker than half the stuff I order within the US. No freebies just unbeliveable service.

Texatdurango

I normally hate any threads that advertise for vendors just because that's where they got the stuff from or because they felt obliged to mention that they got a couple of so called freebies. What they probably didn't mention was that they only got the freebies cos they took so long to deliver....whatever.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Timberbits on the 5th and the stuff was waiting for me today, the 8th !!!! Australia to UK in three days!!!

Thanks Timberbits!!

Funny you should mention the way so many members advertise and plug for the vendors. I've noticed this trend for some time now and it sorta reminds me of one receiving an award at the oscars, emmy awards or golden globe awards......... "I'd like to thank all the wonderful members who's support and encouragement made this pen possible and special thanks to Joe A who provided me with the tools to make this pen and Joe B who sold me the kit and and of course all of this would not have come to fruition had it not been for Joe C who graciously agreed to sell me the utterly fantastic blank which made it the pen it is. God bless America and all our wonderful vendors" :biggrin:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Thanks Timberbits!!

No debate required but I am curious. How does this (your) thread differ from the threads you hate so much? :wink: Seems you did the same thing here that you previously directed your displeasure toward. :eek: I'm just saying.........:biggrin:

terryf

Thanks Timberbits!!

No debate required but I am curious. How does this (your) thread differ from the threads you hate so much? :wink: Seems you did the same thing here that you previously directed your displeasure toward. :eek: I'm just saying.........:biggrin:

Thats the point I think the rats trying to make - he's finally coming around :biggrin: lol

I actually look for four things from a vendor:
The product I want
at a competitive price
packaged properly
at a reasonable shipping rate.

Speed is determined by the postal system not by the vendor (as long as he gets it out the door as soon as he can)

Nothing takes less than three weeks to get to me unless its internal in which case its overnight. Longest has been 14 weeks :eek:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

I think you already know the answer for that, but since you asked, I'll answer....

My thread was for EXCEPTIONAL service, not just normal service.
Normal service needs nothing more than the money I paid for their product. The vendor should be thanking me for spending my money with him, not me thanking the vendor or even mentioning him when I post something in SOYP.

I've had dozens and dozens of parcels sent to me from all over the world. When each of them arrive, I check the date stamp on them. If the vendor only posted them a week or so after I ordered, then they won't be getting any praise from me, :wink:
Having the SAME date on the parcel as when I ordered is impressive!!:wink:

JerrySambrook

Hey Stephen,
After seeing all the barbs, etc, you have tossed in the past year or so, I have a hard time believing the your defense.

And as for exceptional service as you call it, have YOU ever been in the business of shipping things out? I think what you want is preferential treatment.

As for Timberbits and Gary Pye, they do both have great service, and that I will not knock.

Just funny that you have to throw barbs in at other people when praising someone else.

Maybe, just maybe, you should try walking in other peoples shoes first before calling them on something.

Texatdurango

Hey Stephen,
After seeing all the barbs, etc, you have tossed in the past year or so, I have a hard time believing the your defense.

And as for exceptional service as you call it, have YOU ever been in the business of shipping things out? I think what you want is preferential treatment.

As for Timberbits and Gary Pye, they do both have great service, and that I will not knock.

Just funny that you have to throw barbs in at other people when praising someone else.

Maybe, just maybe, you should try walking in other peoples shoes first before calling them on something.
Are we reading the same post?

I see Skip mentioning his dislike for those who feel the need to advertise for vendors when posting a pen in the SOYP forum and praising a vendor for what appears to be some REALLY fast service which is truly exceptional. What I don't see are the barbs you mention and just whose shoes is he supposed to walk in?

Whether you agree or not, the SOYP forum is being used more and more as a means for vendors to showcase a new blank, new kits they have, tools they carry, etc. The sad part is that they don't do it directly (which would be against forum rules), they have others do their advertising for them.

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The sad part is that they don't do it directly (which would be against forum rules), they have others do their advertising for them.

If you have any kind of proof that vendors are having others do their advertising for them, I need to know about it since that is shill marketing and strictly prohibited by the TOS and AUP.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This wasn't supposed to turn into a fight. I just figured I'd be entitled to my opinion just like evryone else is!!:redface:

Jerry, I'm not sure what you're seeing as barbsbut if it's because I don't idolise any vendors and don't particularly like undue praise, then I'm sorry but that is my right. I have never picked out any vendor, but if you believe I have, and one springs to your mind, then perhaps what I said is actually true?.

No, I've never been in that business and unless I could excel in the shipping business, then I wouldn't even try. I don't see your point here.
Preferential treatment?? Hardly!!! All I want is the person that IS in the shipping business to ship the stuff as quickly as they take my money. I don't think that's too much to ask. What I don't want is to have to send reminders to a vendor to ship the stuff they said was in stock.

I don't know who Gary is and this is the first time I've used Timberbits.

Jerry, ALL praise is always a comparison. When someone says a vendor went above and beyond, it means that the service or product etc was better than they get elsewhere. I have NEVER contradicted anyone else's praise so why is mine being questioned?.

Jerry, not only do I not have a clue what you mean by this particular comment, it does raise a common problem here on IAP.
Why is it ok for some people to criticise, but not for others?
Why is it ok to praise or criticise some vendors but not others?
It is starting to get to the stage where once a vendor becomes popular, they become 'untouchable' and God help anyone that says anything bad about them. You know this is true.

I can assure you that I wouldn't pick on an individual vendor. I dislike ALL mass unearned adverts from or about any vendor, equally. If, because of my chosen words like 'No freebies, no delay and no BS' a particular vendor came to your mind then it is you that is biased and not me.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Why on earth do we have to continue to argue about this sort of crap...

Jerry, I don't see any reason for your comments. If Skiprat wants to praise a vendor for speed, then he's welcome to do so.

I'm really starting to hate this constant vendor-related bickering.

Andrew

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Thanks Timberbits!!

I probably deserve some admonishment as well for this. I was making a friendly jab at Skip with my comment. I should have known it would go in another direction. Sorry guys. :frown:

Dudley Young

Jerry, I don't see any reason for your comments. If Skiprat wants to praise a vendor for speed, then he's welcome to do so.

Andrew
I agree 100%. Why the heck are ya'll in such big hurry to get your junk?:confused:

PennedDown

Andrew,
Ditto on that.

Skip, I agree with you about Timberbits. I've ordered twice from the guy in the last month or so, and both orders were shipped out quick and the communication was excellent. I also order from several other vendors and also from several IAP individual members and vendors. I like you, feel I have a right if I'm going to spend my hard-earned cash to either praise the vendor/member that takes care of his customer in order to keep his doors open, or to criticize the ones who don't take care of their business and wind up moaning and complaining because they don't have orders rolling in.
I believe that's called a lesson in Retail 101.:biggrin:

Andrew

JerrySambrook

IF he had left his original post as to praising Timberbits, it would have all been fine.
But he is often throwing little barbs at a certain vendor or two on this site.

You can all say I do not see where this came from, but maybe you should just look at quite a few of his posts over the past year or so.

And as he says, he is stating his opinion here, well, I am just doing the same as I see it as well.

And in the same thread, Stephen wants to belittle people who do appreciate the freebies, discounts, etc. So, I am just stating my points back as well.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I don't see any personal attack, Jerry. All I see is Skiprat stating his preference for quick delivery over freebies. Quite a few vendors offer freebies with orders, not just any one business.

It's certainly not worth getting one's hackles up over. One person stating that they prefer speedy customer service to discounts and freebies is not going to bring down anyone's business, and shouldn't cause a public fight.

Heck, I'm quite sure there was recently a poll asking how important priority shipping is to customers. This thread can be interpreted as Skiprat's answer to that poll question, I suppose! :)

Life's too short - let's move on, shall we?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Yes, let's move on to some more important things in life. This arguing is over and I will be back tomorrow to review this thread. Stop the crap and stay on topic. I'm getting fed up with the arguments, stop sweating the small stuff.

Last edited:

wizard

I was initially afraid to participate in this thread because the dialogue seems pretty polarized but I felt compelled to express my humble opinion on this matter.

I appreciate Steven's review of Timberbits with the positive statement about the speed of delivery. I had the same experience.
I also wanted to express my appreciation to David at Timberbits. I have ordered three times from him for items ranging from the Roman Harvest Pens, Majestic kits from Dayacom etc and his beautiful boxes. He provides exceptional service. I truly believe he has his own personal jet for deliveries:eek:. I cannot believe the speed at which he processes orders and delivers. He has called to clarify orders, is very personable and on my last order included freebies of Australian timbers as well as sending me a bunch of conversion couplers for the Cambridge pens.

With regards to this thread in general. For what it's worth, I like it when a thread mentions vendors so if I want that product I know where to get it from. I agree that by doing that you indirectly, albeit without compensation, provide advertising for that vendor.

However, I wonder if someone offers to buy your pen after you post in SOYP or go to your site to buy one, is that considering advertising?

It seems that members who, under their names on their posts, include their websites/e-stores and/or the unique product that they came up with and and sell are directly advertising without getting anyone else to do it.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth...
Doc

Last edited:

Lenny

With regards to this thread in general. For what it's worth, I like it when a thread mentions vendors so if I want that product I know where to get it from.
Doc

I couldn't agree more, Doc!

I appreciate it when others mention what components and material they used and where they got it, and I try to do the same for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom