Would ya just look at that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chizeled

Would ya just look at that? I'm new here and my first post wasn't even an introduction to myself! Would ya just look at that!

I first gained interest in penturning about a month ago when I visited a wood supply store. I was more interested in turning bowls and small round boxes but stumbled upon a pen kit the retailer was selling. When I see new and interesting things I usually dive in and hook myself and that's more or less what I did here.

I recently bought a penturners package off cragislist with the whole she'bang. A used but new looking Jet mini 1014, nice "Chizels" and a bunch of pen kits. Bushings for just about everything you can imagine, pen tubes for many many pens, books, a Delta bandsaw (w/new blade in package), a slew of exotic woods already sized to cut for pens, sandpaper from 150 to 12,000, a couple live centers and several more odds and ends.

I've turned only one pen (wallst II) and it looks very nice but I did notice the wood I used (zebrawood) cracked after everything went together. It was not green. I noticed the crack after keeping it in my pocket after a day. I was dissapointed to say the least. So, is it common to CA finish ALL pens or is what I've been reading telling me something else? I see everyone using the CA for all their pens and am curious to see if this is the "only" way to do this?

I also bought a NovaChuck package from Woodcraft, being the only thing the kit lacked. Upon turning a round box I noticed the end (by the tailstock) had a wobble to it. I didnt' think much of it and I spun it down a ways only to find that it still had a wobble. I inspected everything I could and came up with a bent spindle shaft as the verdict. Nice.

Anyways, aside from that I'm looking forward to getting into this as more than a hobby and it's important to me to get the right stuff the first time. I almost went with the Shop Fox and maybe I should've? I'm sure it's just the previous owner that bent the thing but it's still discouraging...
I'll get it all figured out pretty soon.

More questions coming soon!

Dana:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snowb46

Sounds like you got the whole "she-bang". Welcome to IAP. There is a ton of info here and lots of great help.

witz1976

...I've turned only one pen (wallst II) and it looks very nice but I did notice the wood I used (zebrawood) cracked after everything went together. It was not green. I noticed the crack after keeping it in my pocket after a day. I was dissapointed to say the least. So, is it common to CA finish ALL pens or is what I've been reading telling me something else? I see everyone using the CA for all their pens and am curious to see if this is the "only" way to do this?

I also bought a NovaChuck package from Woodcraft, being the only thing the kit lacked. Upon turning a round box I noticed the end (by the tailstock) had a wobble to it. I didnt' think much of it and I spun it down a ways only to find that it still had a wobble. I inspected everything I could and came up with a bent spindle shaft as the verdict. Nice.

Hey Dana, First off welcome to IAP from the State of ME! As for your question...

Possible reasons for your crack could be during assembly you may have pressed in the parts at a slight angle causing a stress point that cracked, or transferring from extreme cold to heat. Those would be the two reasons off the bat. As for the CA finish, that is one that most of us use, however it will take patience and time to learn it...something I believe almost all of are still learning the process to some extent. But there are other finishes, lacquer, enduro, plexi, friction etc. all have their benefits. Search around the site and you will find these finishes or check out Russ Fairfield's page on finishing...http://www.woodturner-russ.com/FinishingSecrets.html

I am a little confused as to why you are noticing a wobble in the tailstock when you are using a chuck on the headstock, but not when you turned a pen. The only obvious question to ask (and it one of those dumb ones not meaning to insult you, BUT) did you lock down the tailstock?

You mentioned you were looking to get better equipment first, and you bought a Jet. Jet makes great lathes so you have great equipment. I know other people will chime in, so hopefully you will discover your answer.:biggrin:

Chizeled

Thanks for the invites everyone! :cool:

Witz, excuse me for not explaning the wobble issue better. The headstock is where I noticed the out of round issues. The tailstock did have to be shimmed a bit, however. I used a pop can thickness x2 to get it pretty near perfect. The headstock is the only thing I had my box blank attached to. The tailstock was not attached at all. After turning about 1/4" off the surface the wobble still remained which told me right away that something wasn't right. The guy I bought it from mentioned he put new bearings in it. My assumption is, he may have chunked a Chizel or something causing the bent spindle shaft. He probably noticed that things weren't right after that and replaced the bearings only to find the wobble still there. He is a structural engineer too. Hmm...You would think he would've properly diagnosed that issue. Either way, I got a very nice deal on everything. I'm off to go check my thread about where to get a good deal on a spindle shaft! :cool:

...I've turned only one pen (wallst II) and it looks very nice but I did notice the wood I used (zebrawood) cracked after everything went together. It was not green. I noticed the crack after keeping it in my pocket after a day. I was dissapointed to say the least. So, is it common to CA finish ALL pens or is what I've been reading telling me something else? I see everyone using the CA for all their pens and am curious to see if this is the "only" way to do this?

Hey Dana, First off welcome to IAP from the State of ME! As for your question...

Possible reasons for your crack could be during assembly you may have pressed in the parts at a slight angle causing a stress point that cracked, or transferring from extreme cold to heat. Those would be the two reasons off the bat. As for the CA finish, that is one that most of us use, however it will take patience and time to learn it...something I believe almost all of are still learning the process to some extent. But there are other finishes, lacquer, enduro, plexi, friction etc. all have their benefits. Search around the site and you will find these finishes or check out Russ Fairfield's page on finishing...http://www.woodturner-russ.com/FinishingSecrets.html

I am a little confused as to why you are noticing a wobble in the tailstock when you are using a chuck on the headstock, but not when you turned a pen. The only obvious question to ask (and it one of those dumb ones not meaning to insult you, BUT) did you lock down the tailstock?

You mentioned you were looking to get better equipment first, and you bought a Jet. Jet makes great lathes so you have great equipment. I know other people will chime in, so hopefully you will discover your answer.:biggrin:

Chizeled

Hi maybe that your creating too much heat when you are sanding thro the grades of sandpaper and then polishing
good luck
That's the only thing I can think of. My minishop was very cold and after turning the pen went right in my pocket where it's almost 100 degrees:eek:

I don't think by pressing the brass tube would've done any damage. I don't have a pen press but I did use my lathe to press it in. I was very careful not to force anything.

corian king

Hello Dana and Welcome to the IAP. CA is not the only way to finish a pen and you will find that alot of customers don't like the CA finish because it makes the pen feel like plastic instead of wood.But alot of turners prefer it.
JIM

RPLewis

Dana... Welcome to the clan here. I'm very new myself. I will tell you this... these folks will help you more than you can imagine. Also very nice TOO!!! I'm just getting ready to start turning pens and I hope that I will not experience what you're going through with putting pen in my pocket and it cracking. That's pretty much what I'm afraid of after I give these pens to my friends and family. I have asked the best way to finish these pens and I'll bet you.... these cats will get me straight on that...LOL. Good luck on your future pen making projects and hopefully we will learn together.

Randy

Chizeled

Dana... Welcome to the clan here. I'm very new myself. I will tell you this... these folks will help you more than you can imagine. Also very nice TOO!!! I'm just getting ready to start turning pens and I hope that I will not experience what you're going through with putting pen in my pocket and it cracking. That's pretty much what I'm afraid of after I give these pens to my friends and family. I have asked the best way to finish these pens and I'll bet you.... these cats will get me straight on that...LOL. Good luck on your future pen making projects and hopefully we will learn together.

Randy
Thanks Randy.

I think I'll test each pen before it ships out knowing this can happen. There's nothing like a customer getting something that's already broken!

Top Bottom