Worthless Wood Pepper Grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkD

MarkD

This is a grinder I made over the holidays from a piece of cherry that had several large holes in it.
I did a double Alumilite cast. First with green colored Alumilite followed by red colored Alumilte.
For a finish I sanded and used EEE Ultra Shine followed by buffing.
The mill stands almost 11" tall and uses a CrushGrind mechanism.

DSC07329.JPG

DSC07330.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harpazo

Wow, that's beautiful! It almost looks like there's a hint of turquoise in the filled voids. The looks are amazing. Lot's to like there...

Last edited:

wayneryan65

That's one of the nicest ones ive seen in forever...Love the sleek design and the colors of the resin you used. The wood is beautiful...Great, no...outstanding job on this

MarkD

Thanks for the wonderful comments, they are greatly appreciated.

It's kind of funny...I used to search for the "perfect" piece of timber for a project and was very happy with the expected results. Now I search for timber that is "full of holes" with the hopes that when cast with resin, will provide a very unique, unexpected outcome.
Casting certainly opens up a lot of opportunities! It also saves a lot of interesting wood that would otherwise have gone to the woodstove.

BSea

That is very cool! And a great way to save a beautiful piece of wood. :good:

You say you did a double cast. So not just a 2 color cast, right? You cast one color, then came back & cast the other color?

MarkD

You say you did a double cast. So not just a 2 color cast, right? You cast one color, then came back & cast the other color?
Yes, this was cast twice. When I did the initial casting I filled the mold with the green color resin but the the pressure forced it into internal crevices I was not initially aware of. Additionally, I had a a slight leak in my mold so when I removed the casting from the pressure tank I found that not all of the crevices had been completely filled. Rather than attempt to recreate the the same color on the second pour I decided to use a contrasting color for the second pour.

BSea

Yes, this was cast twice. When I did the initial casting I filled the mold with the green color resin but the the pressure forced it into internal crevices I was not initially aware of. Additionally, I had a a slight leak in my mold so when I removed the casting from the pressure tank I found that not all of the crevices had been completely filled. Rather than attempt to recreate the the same color on the second pour I decided to use a contrasting color for the second pour.
Well, that's a "Happy Accident". And now I have a new idea on doing some WW casts.

Top Bottom