Worthless Addiction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bellsy

I took the liberty today to take advantage of some time in my shop. I've been researching the forums on casting for the last few months and acquiring the necessary items and knowledge to cast pen blanks.....specifically worthless wood pen blanks.

My first endeavor started out with plain alumilite and some different colours with a touch of pigment (PearlEx). Some may have seen these blanks on other forums. To my liking they turned out to be terrific considering they were my first attempt. Today's attempt being my second was a step further in the casting process. I read about some failures and didn't want this, but like any other experiment things can go wrong. Today I found out that my research paid off and I was rewarded for it.

The experiment for a lack of calling it anything else was planned out as best I could. To begin I made wooden molds and added toothpicks to the bottom of the molds so that the alumilite could find it's way underneath the blanks. While I was making the molds I had the blanks cooking in my toaster oven (garage sale special....free) at @ 200 degrees. The blanks roasted away for about 3 hours, but this time should have been around 8 hours according to my research. I started this experiment @ 2 weeks ago and they were originally heated for that long, however the experiment was halted because I wasn't happy with the preparation of my molds and time was running out.

After the blanks were heated I let them cool for a few minutes before centering them in the mold. I placed a small amount of CA on the end of the blanks to keep them from rising in the alumilite. Once the blanks were secured I placed the molds into the pressure pot. Then I weighed out the proper amount of alumilite for both Part A & B. Normally the alumilite is equal by weight, but my research has revealed that the dye is also considered or formulated the same as Part A. Some calculating had to be done to determine the total amount of Part A and dye would be required. The total of both of these would then give me the total weight required for the Part B of Alumilite.

Once this was achieved I poured my first cast mixing only the Part A and the Part B without the dye. Once the mixture was thoroughly mixed I added the dye and completely mixed it in. Then I added my PearlEx pigment (gold). This takes a bit of time to mix into the solution, but it will mix in. Once I was happy with the mixing I slowly poured the contents over the worthless blank in the mold. I only mixed one colour at a time and placed it under pressure for 60 minutes.

The pressure pot is set to 60 PSI and as stated, I hold the cast for 60 minutes. After each cast was completed I repeated the next cast, until all the worthless blanks were done.

Here are some pictures of my process as I progressed through the day.

I would like to Thank MesquiteMan for his valuable information which I believe is what made this process work so well.

All comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Dave

Mold #1
worth1.jpg

Mold #2
worth3.jpg

The Priceless Toaster oven hard at work.
worth2.jpg

The finished casts. (Black, Blue, Green, Red and Yellow.
worth4.jpg

The first 4 blanks from mold #1 cut and cleaned up.
worth5.jpg

The last cast from Mold #2 cut into 2 blanks. I actually experimented on this cast by pouring the excess alumilite from the previous casts to see if the bonding between layers would work or not. Looks like it worked.....:)
worth6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bellsy

Dave,

How do you prep your wood prior to pouring? Do you scrub it or clean it with anything?

Nice looking casts by the way.

Thanks Fred,

When I talked to MesquiteMan on the phone he advised me to clean all of the loose pieces off with some form of a pick or tool. As a matter of fact, today I was at the Dentist and they gave me some of their broken/damaged dentistry tools. I tried to get some base plate wax....but I think I used up my quota.....;) The other loose material was removed with a stainless steel wire brush. Not the great big brushes, but one of the smaller ones with finer bristles. On heavier items you could use the coarse wire brush, but I figured with the delicate pieces of wood I didn't want to break off any of the character pieces.

As a note, the first time I used my wire wheel it left a grey residue (mild steel) so that made me switch over right away. Stainless does not discolour the wood surface. I felt that this discolouring could possibly interact with the alumilite and cause dis-bonding. I did not want to take that chance.

workinforwood

Great work Dave! I doubt the discoloring from a wire wheel would affect the alumilite or the bond in any way, but it could affect the outcome by leaving an ugly grey line between the wood and alumilite...so switching was good. Unless your pour is of an extremely small amount of product, you don't have to worry about calculating the extra weight of you dye. Yes alumilite is by weight and yes the alumilite dye incorporates part a in the mix, but with both a and b mixed together it can tolerate being off a little bit.

Laurenr

If you need dental supplies, like baseplate wax etc., go to Henri Schein Dental. You needn't be in the biz to order from them, and you will find all kinds of cool and useful stuff at their website.

Lauren, (Dental Technician since Sept of 1966.)

Bellsy

If you need dental supplies, like baseplate wax etc., go to Henri Schein Dental. You needn't be in the biz to order from them, and you will find all kinds of cool and useful stuff at their website.

Lauren, (Dental Technician since Sept of 1966.)

Thanks Lauren, I have a supplier for my baseplate wax already. I just figured I would ask the Dentist office and take my chances. Better to ask, than to never know.....:)

Dave

Bellsy

Look great! Are you able to reuse the wood box or is it cut up?

I sawed the molds apart completely. Like I said this was my first attempt and the next cast will be in a homemade silicone mold that I made. The silicone was being thrown out at work because of the shelf life expiry date. I didn't even know silicone had a shelf life to quite honest. I guess it's one of things you never really think about.

I'll have to take a picture of the homemade mold when I get back to my main shop on the weekend. I thought I had it with me at my work residence.

Dave

Bellsy

Great work Dave! I doubt the discoloring from a wire wheel would affect the alumilite or the bond in any way, but it could affect the outcome by leaving an ugly grey line between the wood and alumilite...so switching was good. Unless your pour is of an extremely small amount of product, you don't have to worry about calculating the extra weight of you dye. Yes alumilite is by weight and yes the alumilite dye incorporates part a in the mix, but with both a and b mixed together it can tolerate being off a little bit.

Thanks Jeff..... I am the one that can't tolerate being off....lol The cost of the alumilite and all of the time and effort are valuable to me. Do it right the first time. That's also why I did so much research on the topic before jumping into it.

Dave

aweiss44

about how much dye and pigment are you using in these? they look great, and my first several attempts have been more pastels than bold colors, and i barely even see the pigment i'm adding in them.

Bellsy

about how much dye and pigment are you using in these? they look great, and my first several attempts have been more pastels than bold colors, and i barely even see the pigment i'm adding in them.

I will have to bring my Casting Log Book home from the shop this weekend and give you the amounts. Is there a particular cast (colour) that your interested in? Not all of the pieces of wood were the same size, so I had to roughly calculate how much Alumilite I would need to mix for each one.

Dave

Top Bottom