World’s Ugliest Segmented Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I had high hopes for this one but it sure turned out ugly. The only reason I assembled it was because it wasn't going on a new kit. Just a house pen that I got tired of looking at. The blank was just made from scrap cutoffs, so nothing lost there. They can't all be winners 🥹

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpeg
    IMG_3937.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

I'm looking but I don't see the ugly.

I see how much time it took, and the precision in the cutting and glue up.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
What appeals to others is a mystery to us who see the flaws that others don't. I understand your opinion and probably would feel the same way, but as an observant, I also see an excellent pen that is worthy of being valued. Ken, not too shabby!!!

KenB259

I have a similar blank glued up, but more more symmetrical, thinking it will be an improvement. Time will tell.

Lew

I have some pens I've made that are absolutely horrible, but I still carry them around from time to time. When people see them, they don't say, "What an ugly pen!", which is my reaction. Instead they comment on how unique the pen is, how did I make it, can I do others, do I sell pens. Even ugly comes in handy once in a while.

zig314159

I do segmented bowls, segmented bottle stoppers, and segmented pens (from scraps of the 2 precious categories). Your pen is nicely done and inspiring to "scrappers" like myself. Thank you for sharing.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ken, I will admit it does look a little awkward to me from either a design standpoint and the specific color combination. Designs WITH the specific colors distract from each other rather than compliment each other. Sometimes a design is good but the color combinations are like oil and water. Sometimes there can be a great color combo but the design destroys. Great colors don't "always" match and in some cases may look good in certain designs, but if not perfect, they compete with each other. There is no "one" place to focus the eyes.

You have a good eye and a good mind. You are creative. Along with creativity comes experience that you learn from. At least this is what I do. I still (sometimes) make a particular pen design (segment) that works absolutely well with a one piece/blank pen like the Sierra type, but looks horrible when incorporated into a two piece pen - just way too busy! The top and bottom compete with each other like both are saying: "Look at me, Look at me." And that makes my mind think I am looking at it cross-eyed which I am not.

KenB259

Ken, I will admit it does look a little awkward to me from either a design standpoint and the specific color combination. Designs WITH the specific colors distract from each other rather than compliment each other. Sometimes a design is good but the color combinations are like oil and water. Sometimes there can be a great color combo but the design destroys. Great colors don't "always" match and in some cases may look good in certain designs, but if not perfect, they compete with each other. There is no "one" place to focus the eyes.

You have a good eye and a good mind. You are creative. Along with creativity comes experience that you learn from. At least this is what I do. I still (sometimes) make a particular pen design (segment) that works absolutely well with a one piece/blank pen like the Sierra type, but looks horrible when incorporated into a two piece pen - just way too busy! The top and bottom compete with each other like both are saying: "Look at me, Look at me." And that makes my mind think I am looking at it cross-eyed which I am not.
I don't think it's the colors, I've made other pens that had redheart and yellowheart that worked well together. I have another blank that has a subtle difference that I think will look much better. I'll post it when I turn it. Probably this weekend because I'm very curious about the outcome.

Todd in PA

It's nice to see someone post a pen that's not a perfect ten. It lets me know others have oops ideas too.

Did you use the oily glue for the segmenting? I bought some but haven't done any segmenting with it yet.

Alan Morrison

I think that the red and yellow heart work well together, Ken, maybe a bit too much guitar pick guard ( if that what it is )

KenB259

I think that the red and yellow heart work well together, Ken, maybe a bit too much guitar pick guard ( if that what it is )
Its Maple and Zircote cut to match my saw kerf, Each stripe is only .034 for a total of .102. My method pretty much dictates that as a necessity. The thickness of the spacers, to me, look fine.

jttheclockman

I wouldn't say it is ugly. But I am in the like symmetry family so my eye goes to that. I would just call it abstract art look. Really not bad.

KenB259

I went down and took another look at the similar blank and decided it would pretty much be as horrible as this one. This type of blank looks good in a single color, not so much with differing colors. I'm just pitching the other one and moving on.

michaelperez

I had high hopes for this one but it sure turned out ugly. The only reason I assembled it was because it wasn't going on a new kit. Just a house pen that I got tired of looking at. The blank was just made from scrap cutoffs, so nothing lost there. They can't all be winners 🥹
First, congratulations for your work and my curiosity is what bothers you about your pen?
i've worked as a product designer and trends change and what you don't like today tomorrow is trendy.
Sometimes classic, chaotic, industrial, pop, symmetrical, asymmetric, like wine what you like is the best.

KenB259

First, congratulations for your work and my curiosity is what bothers you about your pen?
i've worked as a product designer and trends change and what you don't like today tomorrow is trendy.
Sometimes classic, chaotic, industrial, pop, symmetrical, asymmetric, like wine what you like is the best.
It's mainly the end caps. I think if they were solid it would have helped.

michaelperez

It's mainly the end caps. I think if they were solid it would have helped.
Ok, it's the kit the one you don't like, I mean the way they combine with your work, and maybe something plane and solid will frame better all the beauty of your work now it make sense to me.
but any way it's matter of taste and I'm sure many people is going to like it.
greetings

BoonareeBurl

I don't collect segmented pens as I'm more of a wood purist, but that is one heckuva nice segmented pen! I'd bet money that I'm not the only one who thinks it's very nice (and would pay money for it). Definitely will sell.

G

KenB259

Ok, it's the kit the one you don't like, I mean the way they combine with your work, and maybe something plane and solid will frame better all the beauty of your work now it make sense to me.
but any way it's matter of taste and I'm sure many people is going to like it.
greetings
Not the kit, my end caps. They should have both been just non segmented redheart.

Top Bottom