Workbench top material?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I thought about my "breadboard" suggestion. That may be too complex for your desires. To get the similar function you can attach the the cap pieces with screws only (no glue), similar to the way you probably did the angle iron. Just mill out elongated holes in the cap pieces. That will allow for the wood movement as the major slab boards expand and contract.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I thought about my "breadboard" suggestion. That may be too complex for your desires. To get the similar function you can attach the the cap pieces with screws only (no glue), similar to the way you probably did the angle iron. Just mill out elongated holes in the cap pieces. That will allow for the wood movement as the major slab boards expand and contract.
Ya, I was just replying to you. Lol As those breadboards look great, I'm thinking thats a bit extreme for what I'm doing. I already bought some 1x2's. Was just gonna cut to length and just throw a couple staples in them. Would it be better just to drill some oversized holes and secure it with screws?

Talking about the prices of plywood today... back in the late 1990s while I was still working, I worked for an export packing company that was located about 4 blocks from Georgia Pacific warehouse.... we bought our plywood out of Brazil, had it loaded in 20 ft containers and shipped to Houston sometimes via Florida and trucked, or directly into Houston port.... it was cheaper than going 4 blocks to the GP warehouse.... I coordinated the movement of 10-20 containers per shipment. Never knew the price we paid per sheet as that was info I didn't need to coordinate the shipment. One of the partners in the company traveled to Brazil and set up the purchase, then passed it off to me to coordinate.
The plywood was metric, but was better than we got from GP with fewer voids between the layers.

bsshog40

Well finished for now. Gonna use this one to help me build my 3x5 workbench first, then start mounting power tools on this one.
20230430_115141.jpg

Top Bottom