Workbench question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi, What's the purpose of the L-shaped end vise on workbenches (like in the picture) as opposed to one that is just a straight vise that runs the length of the end?

(Yeah, I know the picture is just a small model for a dollhouse or something. But I've seen it on real ones too.)

Attachments

• DC7C1F72-F7F8-4DEB-B72E-DA8AF95DB1E3.png
    DC7C1F72-F7F8-4DEB-B72E-DA8AF95DB1E3.png
    623.2 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

One use that comes to mind: the actual vise will have a few holes along that leg, allowing one to place bench dogs in any of the holes, thus being able to clamp boards or work, without having to open the vise real wide. Also does allow items to be tightly held without the use of dogs.

jttheclockman

Steve is right. See the hole in the leg on the vise and see the holes in the bench. You now can clamp long pieces alongside the bench if thay are heavy. just more clamping options.

EricRN

I see. That makes sense. Does the L shape offer any functionality over putting bench dog holes in a vise that sits straight along the end of the bench?

jttheclockman

I see. That makes sense. Does the L shape offer any functionality over putting bench dog holes in a vise that sits straight along the end of the bench?
The top portion is where you clamp woods that need to be planed with hand planes or even power tools. It is close to your body so no reaching over bench. Those are all clamping options built into it. I am sure you could even come up with new ideas as you work on it. I used a "T" track on mine instead of bench dogs and holes.

Curly

It is less prone to racking because the clamping forces are closer to the screw and the surface is longer. With a full width vice the screw is in the middle a foot or more away and the bars are further away with their bearing surfaces being shorter.

Top Bottom