Workbench dilemma! Need opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So I don't have any space at this time to put a workbench on the side walls of my shop. I will have one 3'x5' workbench just for working on with hand tools. I'm looking at building a 4' x10' workbench that will sit in the middle of my shop. I need to mount all my small power tools on it. The top will be level with my table so I can butt my tablesaw up to it for more room to cut boards. So I mocked up what I'm thinking about. I'm still not sold on the idea that this will functionally work the best way. Anyone have any better ideas or setups that work for you? The workbench will have to be in the middle of the shop for now, no other option. I don't have any plywood to help illustrate what I'm trying to do, but hope the pics below will give you an idea. The tools mounted looks like may be spread out to 8' leaving only 2 feet of space left. Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• 20230412_151200.jpg
    20230412_151200.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230414_122336.jpg
    20230414_122336.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230414_122312.jpg
    20230414_122312.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 90
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Roy Nielsen

Here's an interesting bench build where the tools can individually swing down under the bench, if you're looking to reclaim bench top space.

bsshog40

That's a pretty good Idea. My problem is I'm putting in a bottom shelf to hold all my power hand tools, skill saw, jig saws, miter saw, etc.. I have quite a few of those.

Curly

I would make several carts with retracting castors. Each cart would have 2 or 3 power tools on it. You pull them out to use and when not needed put back in their place in the island. One cart actually being a workbench outfield table. Done right much of the space behind the tools you show would be useable and the space under would be easier to access too. These kind of retractable castors let the cart/bench sit solidly when you need it but lift on to the castors for easy moving.

egnald

I sort of have something similar in my shop. In the middle, on one end, I used a base cabinet topped with a couple of layers of MDF, a layer of hard laminate, and topped with a sacrificial piece of hardboard. I store tools and supplies in the bottom of the cabinet and in drawers. It is 2 ft x 4 ft and is at the height that matches my table saw and miter saw.

Next to the base cabinet, I have a 2 ft x 2 ft rolling work surface made in much the same way. It has shelves that contain compartment boxes of fasteners and such. It is also at the height of my table saw and miter saw.

My saws are on mobile bases, so when needed, I roll them between my fixed base cabinet and my rolling work surface. One becomes an infeed and the other an outfeed for the saws.

Here are a couple of pictures of my setup. - Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3303.JPG
    IMG_3303.JPG
    375.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 52

bsshog40

Nice setup @egnald.
Appreciate that idea also @Curly
Ya, my tablesaw has the retractable casters which is nice. I'm on a pretty tight budget trying to get this shop workable right now. I'm almost thinking of changing to a 4'x8' table for the power towels and maybe a stand-alone 4'x4' bench with locking casters for use with the tablesaw and separate workbench. I plan on putting levelers on the bottoms of all the legs. Still could add the retractable casters at a later time if I decided to.

Last edited:

Roy Nielsen

Do you intend to secure these tools to the bench? Or would you move them on and off? If the former, think if a lazy susan might help, with some way to stop it from turning at certain points, with 2 or more tools each on it, especially like the buffer and grinder on one, maybe the strip sander and whatever the tall red tool is on another, might be enough room on a 2' round to even get a third small tool. That might give you a bit more unused room on the top.

bsshog40

I plan on mounting these down. I'm gonna mount a power strip under the top, drill holes behind each tool to run the plugs through. The tall red thing is my Sorby.

I would recommend you look at flip top options for rolling carts or flip-able sections of the workbench. A lot of plans and designs out there and it makes limited space very versatile. I built a flip-top cart to freeup space and hold my oscilating sander and 13" planer.

bsshog40

I would recommend you look at flip top options for rolling carts or flip-able sections of the workbench. A lot of plans and designs out there and it makes limited space very versatile. I built a flip-top cart to freeup space and hold my oscilating sander and 13" planer.
This workbench is basically going to be an all-in-one workstation just for my power tools. I won't be using it to do projects on. I will have a bottom shelf for non-mounting power tools, etc...

sbwertz

My 4'x8' workbench sits in the center of my shop, and acts as an output table for the table saw. The power tools are around the walls with wall cabinets above on all the walls. There are several counters...one for sharpening, one for belt sanders, and a big lumber cart on wheels for 4x8 sheets of plywood on one side and boards on the other.

lumber cart.JPG

Top Bottom