Workability of ivory (Elephant Tooth.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mias

Good day to all Pen Turners.

I received some ivory from a fried but it have some fine cracks in.
- will it crack if you work with it?
- Will CA glue help in preventing it from cracking?
- If not, what can I do to prevent it from cracking?

Thank you

Mias

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I would use an epoxy glue to glue it to the brass tube. When finished turning I would put several coats of ca glue to fill and seal the cracks. Good Luck.

plantman

This is the way I have handled Ivory in the past (Antique Tools) First let some thin CA absorb in the cracks that appear in the tooth. When no more CA will sink in, coat the entire tooth with several coats on thin CA. I will guess at this point you have already cut your Ivory into a blank for turning. Wrap the blank in duct tape or some other nylon reinforced packing tape. Start with a small drill size and drill your hole. It is best to cut your blank about 1/2 inch longer than needed. Do not drill all the way through the blank, just enough to cover your tube plus a little extra. The extra that you will cut off after drilling, can be used to make a trim ring on another project. Drill SLOWLY and keep the bit and blank from overheating. Increase the size of your drill bit until you reach the size needed. As an added precauction I will flood the inside of the blank with thin CA after each drilling. This will seal the cracks from the inside. Glue your tube in. I prefer thick or gap filling CA to fill any voids between tube and blank. I also would turn this blank on my Mini Metal lathe, as it would give me much more control over speed, preasure, and avoid any grabs that may come from a hand held tool. Start turning your blank round. Check every few passes and refill with thin CA any cracks that reapeer as you turn it down. I would stop the lathe at this point and hand sand with 400 gritt, followed by 1200 grit and finish with your choise of materials. You will have to seal the blank in some manner in order to keep any moisture from entering. Pay close attentshion to the ends after trimming as this is where moisture can seep in and ruin your blank or finish. If you want a white finish you can use bleash to brighten up the blank. If you want an antique look, use a tea stain to darken. Ivory is tough to work with and requires a slow and steady approach, but the results are worth it. Remember heat and speed are your enemys !!! Jim S

Last edited:

Mias

Thank you very much for the feedback. I did not know it was this difficult to work with but I will try.

This is "legal" tusk and this piece is about 30 years plus old. This might be reason for all the cracks.

Mias

keithbyrd

Jim S - thanks for the info and cautions - I have some hippo teeth I will be turning soon. No cracks in them - at least not yet!
Two questions -
1. is there a cure time for ivory before it should be turned? I don't know how long these teeth have been out.
2. When you say speed are you talking about drilling speed? Turning speed? Or get in a hurry speed?

plantman

Keith; I do not believe there is any cure time. They are like our own teeth and can be drilled and filled at any time in our life or after. By speed, I mean all ot the above but mostly drilling speed. Speed and preasure mean heat. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom