Work process on getting rid of tooling marks on alumilite and other non-wood blanks in kitless pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I have been refining my process for making kitless pens but continue to struggle with tool marks on the pen barrel. Once I have the shape turned (between centers), I part off the end and continue working with the blank(s) using a jam mandrel or pin chuck. There is almost always a tiny bit of non-concentricity at the far end of the barrel, so trying to turn out remaining tool marks is difficult or impossible, and sanding doesn't seem to work very well either. I'm talking about very tiny tool marks that are so light that you can't feel them with finger or fingernail, but on black alumilite they are pretty visible, especially when there is sanding dust flying about. I have also used Novus 1,2,3 without much success on these marks (it works nicely on a nicely matte sanded base, but not so great when there are significant scratches or tool marks).

The only thing I can think to do in terms of changing my process is to continue to refine the barrel between centers (longer than i currently do), including most finishing steps, before parting off and finishing the end of the pen on a pin chuck. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Wet sanding. Start with 400,600, then all of the micro mesh pads through 12,000 grits. Making sure it stays wet. Water! Then go through your polishes.
I'm just stupid for not thinking of wet sanding. Five minutes with wet 400 / 600 abranet did the trick, THANK YOU very much!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You're welcome! And you're not stupid. Just learning things. We all do that. Kitless in itself can be intimidating to begin with.
Glad you got that worked out. So let's see your pens!;)

FGarbrecht

You're welcome! And you're not stupid. Just learning things. We all do that. Kitless in itself can be intimidating to begin with.
Glad you got that worked out. So let's see your pens!;)
I'll try to finish the pen and post a pic later today or tomorrow. It's actually my first full kitless fountain pen (well, the first one that I've been able to complete, lots of failures on the road to learning how to do this). Thanks again, appreciate the help!

BTW, I grew up in Indianapolis (but haven't been back in a long time). Your stock car photo made me think of many hot summer days spent at the 500 track when I was a kid.

Ironwood

I slow my lathe down and use a file to take out the machining marks. Then use Abranet in the grades I have, then W&D paper up to 2000, then onto the buff. Gives a finish I am happy with.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'll try to finish the pen and post a pic later today or tomorrow. It's actually my first full kitless fountain pen (well, the first one that I've been able to complete, lots of failures on the road to learning how to do this). Thanks again, appreciate the help!

BTW, I grew up in Indianapolis (but haven't been back in a long time). Your stock car photo made me think of many hot summer days spent at the 500 track when I was a kid.
A lot has changed at the track since you've been gone.

Top Bottom