Work news--not good

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scoutharps

Well, the economy here in TN stinks. It is now to the point that people are choosing to buy food over taking their kids to the dentist. So, we are all getting "evaluated" in the morning--and I suspect it may be with an eye towards trimming the staff. Jim is unable to work, so I'm it. And there are basically NO openings for DAs here in town, or even closer than Nashville, with all the related commute problems. In short, I'd appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts you guys can spare!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Best of luck to you. Hope all works out for you.
And that goes for all of our community here at IAP. Things are tough all over. The city I work for has not ruled out "more" lay offs.

Dee

Good luck darlin. I understand what you are going through, as i lost my job a week ago last friday because I couldn't get more people to make their payments. But when it is a elderly person who came and borrowed money to pay for a new prescription her doctor prescribed.....and now months down the road, she is having to make a daily choice...take the life saving medication, eat, or pay rent.....somehow a loan payment doesn't seem as important. I'm too much of a compassionate person than to push the poor little thing. So I'm looking for something else....

Good luck tomorrow babe.

Daniel

I work for the state and we are facing a 1 billion dollar shortfall. I was off last week and so was my boss. When I came in this morning he told me we cannot both take off the same week again. and I am only the supply/ maintenance guy. He told me we are going to face the hardest two years we have ever seen (I have been here for 21 years). We spent most of the morning Brain storming about how we can get as much of what we need for the next 24 months as we can. One problem is storage of semi truck loads of supplies. I knew of a solution that I had thought of last week while I was "Not Working". and saved the department several thousand dollars. our brain storming was interrupted by one of our employees that thought I should be helping her. I went and helped her, and when I returned my boss pointed out that I had not only probably saved her job that morning, I then had to go help her do it. So without really knowing I was doing it I just might have saved a couple of people from being laid off in the next year.
I wish I could do more than just send my best wishes and prayers to all of you.

sdemars

Wish you good luck ! ! !

I just returned to work for a 6 month assignment . . . I was off work for 11 months & 27 days . . . . I know, I counted every day . . .

BTW, when you say DA, do you mean District Attorney, like lawyer . . . Please tell me our economy is not in such bad shape that an attorney is not working . . . .

Again, good luck . . . .

M

monkeynutz

Best of luck to you... fingers are crossed (hurts too much to cross my toes, sorry :redface:)

I sometimes take for granted that working for a cruel, greedy, heartless, evil bastard still beats being out of work...

scoutharps

I just wish I was a DA! Actually, I'm a Dental Assistant. And as of today, still am! We all got raked over the coals about time management, individually and collectively. We all got individual conferences as well. I was informed that 47% of all the overtime paid in the office went to me, and I am no longer allowed any overtime. If there is leftover work, I am to come in later the next morning--of course, I can't come in any later than 6:50, as opposed to my normal 6:45! And exactly what I'm supposed to do when a pt runs 20 minutes past time to get off, as happens 2--3 times a week, I have no idea. And I have no control over pts coming in late! We have staff meetings over not doing pts that come in late, but Doc always says do them--and with all the no shows and cancels, I can't really blame them. Anyway, barring someone doing something really stupid, we all have jobs through the end of the year. So, the prayers are MUCH apreciated, all of you! Since we are down to working 4 days a week until November, I don't think there is much danger of going over 40/week. Since DH got let go last spring, we have taken about a 60% income drop, counting loss of benefits. I'm going to be looking for a weekend job. Which really cuts into my shop time--but at least I still have a job, as opposed to unlimited shop time!

Thanks again, all of you!

stevers

and I am no longer allowed any overtime.

They did the same thing at the city where I work. That was a large part of the reason I changed to the city. The bennies and the OT. Hopefully it'll come back when the economy turns around.

If your employer is anything like most, this will ware off as they calm down and you'll get some of your OT back. They'll realize there is a reason for it all. Best of luck to you.

Friend at work told me, "the best way to make your boss look like an idiot is to do 'exactly' what he tells you to do."

Dario

I'd appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts you guys can spare!

Prayers said.

I was off work for 11 months & 27 days . . . . I know, I counted every day . . .

I know that feeling.

I sometimes take for granted that working for a cruel, greedy, heartless, evil bastard still beats being out of work...

I agree (until you find a better employer at least) :devil::biggrin:

They did the same thing at the city where I work. That was a large part of the reason I changed to the city. The bennies and the OT.

Same here, the benefits (and stability) really helps. They got rid of OT recently though and I considered looking elsewhere because we cannot make ends meet. I know it is another gamble so I am trying not to be hasty. Maybe (for me) finding a part time job instead (though very hard) is the answer.

intillzah

I know your pain, I was unemployed for 5 months. I'm glad that I found my new job, but with the economy going into the pot. It's just really uncertain right now what is going to happen.

We'll keep you in our prayers...

bananajeep

Hey Valerie,
Sorry to hear about the cut backs. My jobs does not offer me any benefits and the wife's not going back to work until Late Jan and only part time then. We get all our benifits through her job. I'm contemplating a move from Sac to San Diego. I'm in BioTech and where I am is not a very rich environment for those kinds of jobs. I'm from San Diego, so the move will be nice I still have family down there. Times are getting tough all around. Best of Luck and Take Care - Glad you like the pen!

Mike

bitshird

I hope things smooth out for you, according to Gov. Bredesen our fair state is doing fine, I'm not sure what alternate universe he on but McNairy county has lost over 1300 jobs in the past 4 months, and is getting ready to loose two more small plants that will cost another 300 jobs and we are a small population county.
The bright side (if there is one) gas prices are down to around 3.50 WOW WHAT A BARGAIN :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom