Woods native to Afghanistan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Found this info myself from http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5364e/x5364e03.htm :
On the main ranges at 1,800 to 3,000 m. grow large forest trees, the conifers being Cedrus deodara, Abies excelsa, Pinus longifolia, Larix sp. and Yew Hazel, juniper, walnut, wild peach and almond are also found. In their shade grow several varieties of rose, honeysuckle, currant, gooseberry, hawthorn and luxuriant herbage. Walnut and oak (evergreen and deciduous) descend to the secondary heights, where they become mixed with alder, ash, khinjuk, Arborvitae, juniper, Indigofera and dwarf laburnum, with species of Astragalus. Lower down occur wild olive, species of rock-rose, wild privet, acacias and mimosas, barberry and Zizyphus; and, in places, Chamaerops humilis (which is used for a variety of purposes), Bignonia, sissu, Salvadora persica, verbena, acanthus, and varieties of Gesneria. The lowest terminal ridges, especially toward the west, are naked in aspect and their scanty vegetation is almost wholly herbaceous. On the dreary Kandahar tablelands many vigorous leguminous plants grow, the camel-thorn (Hedysarum alhagi), Astragalus, Ononis spinosa (the fibrous roots of which often are made to serve as tooth-brushes), the sensitive mimosa, and others. In ravines are found Nerium oleander, wild laburnum and Indigofera spp. The chief cultivated trees are mulberry, willow, poplar, ash and occasionally the plane.

The gum resin of Narthex asafoetida from the high and dry plains of western Afghanistan is of commercial value. In the highlands of Kabul edible wild rhubarb is of importance as a local luxury; walnut and edible pine-nuts are both exported. Elaeagnus orientalis, common on the banks of watercourses, furnishes an edible fruit, while Pistacia khinjuk affords a mastic. The true pistachio is found only on the northern frontier.

JimGo

OK, based on my previous post, I guess a pen made of olive, Walnut, Juniper, or Pistachio would be OK for someone from Afghanistan. Does anyone have any contacts in Afghanistan who might be able to send some wood that was harvested there?

darbytee

Jim, I was in Afghanistan for just over 300 days and I don't recall ever seeing a tree! Just mountains and deserts. That said, I think I have some friends still over there and can try to get you something if you still need it.

JimGo

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />Jim, I was in Afghanistan for just over 300 days and I don't recall ever seeing a tree! Just mountains and deserts. That said, I think I have some friends still over there and can try to get you something if you still need it.

Thanks Fred! I'd love to actually get my hands on something from Afghanistan, rather than using an "imposter" from here. I'll drop you an E-mail.

Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />The fact that he is talking to himself is not so bad. It's that he is answering himself that has me concerned. [;)]

Na, it's okay that he's answering himself. You only have to worry if he starts arguing with himself.

chisel

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />
Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />The fact that he is talking to himself is not so bad. It's that he is answering himself that has me concerned. [;)]

Na, it's okay that he's answering himself.<b> You only have to worry if he starts arguing with himself.</b>

I've done that.

PenWorks

Jim, excuse me for interupting your conversation with yourself.
But as Fred said,there aren't to many trees over there. So chances are if you get any wood from there, some rebel was probablly hiding in that tree at one time and the wood is loaded with shrapnel, be carefull when you turn it [:D]

BigRob777

Jim,
Can you make a pen out of poppy?[}:)] Don't use BOW, they may be offended. I've got some African Olive that'll knock your eyes out. Come over and I'll give you a few.[:D]
Rob

rapost

Don't knock his eyes out - then he'll have to braille with himself....and that's just creepy!!

It sounds like you need to do a custom PR casting of sand and rocks to capture the feel of the countryside. [:p]

DocStram

Jim .... don't worry about all of these smart aleck comments. Just this morning I had a conversation with myself about talking to myself. We (I and I) decided it was perfectly normal.

JimGo

It's nice to know I have such good friends here! [}:)]

Rob, I could cast poppy, but I'm not sure the DEA will let me! [:D] Another member has been kind enough to offer to cut up some of his personal items from one (or more) trip(s) over to Afghanistan, but I don't think that would be practical or a good use of those items, either! I think that I'll follow up with you about that African Olive instead.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and as for me talking to myself, if you guys would just answer my questions faster, I wouldn't have to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom