Woods from Cuba & Jamaica

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Runge

Runge

Hi Folks,

First, wouldn't it make sense to have a forum specifically devoted to wood? Since there is no such forum on this site, I will presume that this is the closest forum.

Does anyone know a source of woods from Cuba or Jamaica? In Cuba, they have a cousin to Bubinga called "Guibourtia hymenaefolia" or "caguairán." For Jamaica, they have "Sloanea jamaicensis" or "Break-axe." Both of these woods are very dense and very rare.

Thanks

bobskio2003

It really depends on how much and what size you are looking for. There are many members of the International Wood Collectors Society that carry specimen size (usually 3/8" x 3" x6") samples. Sometimes they have bigger/different sizes but not very often. Sorry not much help, Bob I.

Runge

It really depends on how much and what size you are looking for. There are many members of the International Wood Collectors Society that carry specimen size (usually 3/8" x 3" x6") samples. Sometimes they have bigger/different sizes but not very often. Sorry not much help, Bob I.

Thanks Bob. I have never seen either of these woods on anyone's "specimens for sale" list yet. I have managed to find a contact in the Dominican Republic for dense woods but Cuba and Jamaica are tough to reach.

Top Bottom