Full Review Woodpecker's Ultra Shear Pen Mill-Ci

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Maybe...if I was full time and sold lots of pens. I like light cuts on the DP and stop when the brass is shiny. I tried a sanding disk on the lathe but if the side(s) were not straight, they would sit at an angle on the fence.View attachment 230642

I tried putting a drill chuck in the tailstock with a transfer punch in it to guide the blank as I sanded it against a sanding disc. But I found the sanding disc doesn't sand very well in the center. Someone makes a jig that attaches to the lathe bed that allows you to sand the blank against the sanding disc off to the side. But I've been using a pen mill for almost 20 years, and don't see any reason to change.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

The last part of my post was due to a piece of a red wine barrel which curved on all four sides due to the barrel and how the wood was cut.

qquake

Success! I was VERY careful this time.

Attachments

• 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 184

KenB259

The Ultra-Shear is scary sharp, that's for sure. The fact that is only has two cutters is probably part of the reason it caught. But the majority of the blame rests on me and my impatience. It works very well on acrylic, which has no end grain. I just need to be more careful with wood blanks.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom