Woodpeckers or DIY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I chose DIY and saved 38 bucks. Old "seen its better days" carbide and an ugly pen blank. It will work better with a square cutter and as soon as I get one that's getting too thin to sharpen, I'll put it on here.

Attachments

• 88306F47-20EA-4DA0-AE6E-4925FFF53B82.jpeg
    88306F47-20EA-4DA0-AE6E-4925FFF53B82.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 174
  • E49E0EF7-132C-4B0B-A9C7-D825B3979DC6.jpeg
    E49E0EF7-132C-4B0B-A9C7-D825B3979DC6.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Is that a chess board? Like to see whole thing. I always liked that chamfered detail. I have had a set of scrollsaw plans for an entire chess set with container box that I never got around to it but that was a detail I was going to use on the board. Man I would love to break that plan out again if I ever find it. It was pretty intricate.

KenB259

Is that a chess board? Like to see whole thing. I always liked that chamfered detail. I have had a set of scrollsaw plans for an entire chess set with container box that I never got around to it but that was a detail I was going to use on the board. Man I would love to break that plan out again if I ever find it. It was pretty intricate.
Yes it's a chessboard I just started for my son. I need to figure out how I want to frame it in.

jttheclockman

Yes it's a chessboard I just started for my son. I need to figure out how I want to frame it in.
Nice!!!!👍 If I could make a few suggestions on construction, I would make it either a carrying case or just a chess set with an enclosed box to carry the chess pieces. Now I would use the same materials you are using on the board. That is a nice combo. You can mix woods either way but make the main frame from one wood and at corners do some fancy spline work in other color. You could take even further and wrap entire frame with a nice slim string of the off colored wood. I would inlay it within the frame doing nice curved corners. Now of course if I were doing it I would add some sort of scrollsaw applique of chess pieces and or his name. Again in off colored wood. You could do the box with either a drawer or a hinged lift top to access the pieces. Line the box with colored flocking or use some suede or felt. You could go a step further and make rows for the pieces and also section off the colored pieces so they have their own sections. Oh please do not get me started on things like this. My mind goes nuts. Good luck and definitely want to see when done and it has a nice finish on it. Should bring that wood out great.

Here is a pen display cabinet project I started many years ago and really need to finish. But here is a treatment I did with ends.

cornermiters.jpg
miterswithsplines.jpg

Last edited:

KenB259

Nice!!!!👍 If I could make a few suggestions on construction, I would make it either a carrying case or just a chess set with an enclosed box to carry the chess pieces. Now I would use the same materials you are using on the board. That is a nice combo. You can mix woods either way but make the main frame from one wood and at corners do some fancy spline work in other color. You could take even further and wrap entire frame with a nice slim string of the off colored wood. I would inlay it within the frame doing nice curved corners. Now of course if I were doing it I would add some sort of scrollsaw applique of chess pieces and or his name. Again in off colored wood. You could do the box with either a drawer or a hinged lift top to access the pieces. Line the box with colored flocking or use some suede or felt. You could go a step further and make rows for the pieces and also section off the colored pieces so they have their own sections. Oh please do not get me started on things like this. My mind goes nuts. Good luck and definitely want to see when done and it has a nice finish on it. Should bring that wood out great.

Here is a pen display cabinet project I started many years ago and really need to finish. But here is a treatment I did with ends.

View attachment 348109View attachment 348110
Well John I've been working on this most of the day and I just went with a simple Frame with splined corners. I wanted the board to sit above the frame a little and I also beveled the edges of the frame to mimic the bevel on the board. This is the first chessboard I've made and I was a little hesitant because I don't have a big ole drum sander I guess I did okay without it. I have a little more sanding to do and then apply a finish. He's going to 3D print his own chess pieces.

Attachments

• 187BA0FC-5DDF-4357-BCF6-E5510ED1ADB0.jpeg
    187BA0FC-5DDF-4357-BCF6-E5510ED1ADB0.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 58

jttheclockman

Well John I've been working on this most of the day and I just went with a simple Frame with splined corners. I wanted the board to sit above the frame a little and I also beveled the edges of the frame to mimic the bevel on the board. This is the first chessboard I've made and I was a little hesitant because I don't have a big ole drum sander I guess I did okay without it. I have a little more sanding to do and then apply a finish. He's going to 3D print his own chess pieces.
Perfect!!! A++ Like the way you think. That is going to jump with a finish. My finish of choice would be lacquer sprayed on. All those nooks and crannies will build up if using a poly. I never did take a photo of my first chess board but still have the table I inlayed on. This was way before I was even considering doing woodworking as a hobby. As an electrician I was always able to get these huge different sized wooden wire reels before they started wanting them back and charging a deposit . I collected a few thinking I could turn into a table and possibly chairs. This was back in the late 70's and early 80's. That was a hot thing you would see at some craft shows or fairs. The other feature was to burn them and create a look. Well I did both with very little tools and my vision. Made a couple. Gave 2 away. Never did follow up on more of them because then life got in the way. I need to take a photo of that thing. not my best work but still proud of it. Probably was a launching pad for my woodworking passion. I think back and I wish I had taken photos of many of my earlier projects. Back then it was film on a roll. Don't laugh!!!

Use to love to play chess. I remember I bought one of those computer chess boards from Radio Shack and would play against the computer. Never did get to a very high level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom