Wooden vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrenjttu

darrenjttu

Long time penturner first time bowl maker. Got this log from my father in laws fire wood pile. Its mesquite and just look at the grain. Not sure how to finish it though. Any suggestions besides a new camera?

tn_wooden%20vase.jpg
tn_wooden%20ase%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

that's a really nice piece darren. great job turning it, nice shape and beautiful wood. did you actually mount the whole log and turn it? i personally think a nice hand rubbed oil, tung or a danish oil would make it shine nicely with that purdy grain.

alamocdc

That's a beautiful piece, Darren, and one of my favorite woods to work with. For finish you actually have a number of options, but it depends on what you intend to do with it. If you're just going to use it for dry arrangements, etc. 4 or 5 coats of hand rubbed Tung oil would be quite nice. This will take time since you have to let it dry over night between coats. But this finish is easily repaired should the need arise. Just put on more. No sanding sealer should be necessary for this method unless you want to fill any fine pores. You could also use lacquer, shellac or polyurethane. And I would use a sanding sealer for those even if it's simply the first coat of the final finish of choice. Poly would be my last choice since it tends to yellow over time. But a water based poly like Minwax Polycrylic might be a good choice. I've had good luck with it so far and I find I'm using it much more for flat work and bowls.

Top Bottom