Wooden Ribbon Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

It's that time of year again. Time for some ribbon boxes. I have shown some of these here before. All that I had were sold. These two were specially ordered so they too are sold. The main part of the boxes are maple and the ribbon is aromatic cedar and hickory.
Image1606340719.992800.jpg
Image1606340731.165923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I am just amazed with the talent that our members exhibit. Beautifully done. I can see why they sold out. Thank you for sharing.

Seven

jttheclockman

Once again good to see these and job well done. I believe you said you do them with your bandsaw. I have done smaller versions years ago on my scrollsaw. They have been around awhile. I am sure they will be well received. Nice mix of woods too.

KenB259

Once again good to see these and job well done. I believe you said you do them with your bandsaw. I have done smaller versions years ago on my scrollsaw. They have been around awhile. I am sure they will be well received. Nice mix of woods too.

Bandsaw, drill press and router table and I do the final outside shaping on a small 1 inch belt sander. Also do some ID shaping on a spindle shaper. Well I was wondering what to make next and I got another order for two of these so I know what I'll be making.

jttheclockman

Bandsaw, drill press and router table and I do the final outside shaping on a small 1 inch belt sander. Also do some ID shaping on a spindle shaper. Well I was wondering what to make next and I got another order for two of these so I know what I'll be making.

Thanks. I thought so. Many people use a bandsaw. It is always good to do something different in the shop that gets away from pens. I just like making things. At one time I bought many books on lavish boxes and was going to really get into making special one of a kind boxes and sell at my shows. I saw a vendor once that made some really outstanding boxes and fell in love with the idea. So like many of my attempts I go hog wild and bought fancy router bits, books for design ideas and never really got started. My mind drifts so much and I just can not settle on one idea. I have said here many times I get bored quickly and need to move on. That is why I do not make many pens. I do them in batches when the urge hits me. I started out this year with that feeling and then started working on my house and that feeling went away and now I am trying to rekindle the fire being in the shop and playing around with the 20 some pens I have started on the bench. Slow process but getting some done.

Anyway again nice work on those. I will say if you were adept at using a scrollsaw you would eliminate the sanding and shaping. Scrollsaw cuts smooth lines. Another tool I used with making the ribbons was an oscillating drum sander. Handy tool to have.

KenB259

Thanks. I thought so. Many people use a bandsaw. It is always good to do something different in the shop that gets away from pens. I just like making things. At one time I bought many books on lavish boxes and was going to really get into making special one of a kind boxes and sell at my shows. I saw a vendor once that made some really outstanding boxes and fell in love with the idea. So like many of my attempts I go hog wild and bought fancy router bits, books for design ideas and never really got started. My mind drifts so much and I just can not settle on one idea. I have said here many times I get bored quickly and need to move on. That is why I do not make many pens. I do them in batches when the urge hits me. I started out this year with that feeling and then started working on my house and that feeling went away and now I am trying to rekindle the fire being in the shop and playing around with the 20 some pens I have started on the bench. Slow process but getting some done.

Anyway again nice work on those. I will say if you were adept at using a scrollsaw you would eliminate the sanding and shaping. Scrollsaw cuts smooth lines. Another tool I used with making the ribbons was an oscillating drum sander. Handy tool to have.

I know what you mean about scroll sawing them. I bought my wife a really nice one but for a reason I can't even figure out, I just don't enjoy scrolling.

Top Bottom