Wooden pen with clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

I'd had the idea of how I'd put a pocket clip (proprietary) into one of my wooden pens for a while but never actually tried it until yesterday. I wanted to make sure that, as the clip flexed during use, it didn't put any unnecessary pressure on the wood at the point where it's cut away for the bar to come out.

In the end it pretty much went to plan. The clip ring is concealed within a small rebate and is sandwiched between the silver ring above and the internal acrylic liner below. It feels very robust (I have wiggled it around a lot). I'd go so far as to say that if I really pushed it the clip would probably bend/break before the pen does.

I realised it would be a lot easier to fit if I had made the clip from sterling and had the ring exposed so the whole unit is visible, rather than using a separate clip and ring as I've done here. But it was a proof of concept for me and I'm glad I tried this out.

Anyway here it is. Dyed and stabilised box elder with acrylic finials and section. Some sterling silver accents and a chrome plated steel clip.

Cheers
Ash

8F7A35E9-8B19-4186-8813-D7107348B01C.jpeg5EFA250F-DBE6-49F6-8634-EE969EE4498A.jpeg9FE01761-AA25-426B-B3F2-4CEDDBCA8E94.jpeg7F82A69D-7E05-4645-98E6-90672BFBAC57.jpeg0B47603F-D4A7-40AB-8529-25F7D54E8DAD.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

I'd had the idea of how I'd put a pocket clip (proprietary) into one of my wooden pens for a while but never actually tried it until yesterday. I wanted to make sure that, as the clip flexed during use, it didn't put any unnecessary pressure on the wood at the point where it's cut away for the bar to come out.

In the end it pretty much went to plan. The clip ring is concealed within a small rebate and is sandwiched between the silver ring above and the internal acrylic liner below. It feels very robust (I have wiggled it around a lot). I'd go so far as to say that if I really pushed it the clip would probably bend/break before the pen does.

I realised it would be a lot easier to fit if I had made the clip from sterling and had the ring exposed so the whole unit is visible, rather than using a separate clip and ring as I've done here. But it was a proof of concept for me and I'm glad I tried this out.

Anyway here it is. Dyed and stabilised box elder with acrylic finials and section. Some sterling silver accents and a chrome plated steel clip.

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 335276View attachment 335277View attachment 335278View attachment 335279View attachment 335280
Amazing work, bravo. The finials are next level additions. Did u make them yourself?

Valleyboy

Amazing work, bravo. The finials are next level additions. Did u make them yourself?
Thank you.

Yes I made them out of a mint coloured acrylic. I have the little silver coin cast for me by a company. The rings I make myself out of silver sheet.

Cheers
Ash

Top Bottom