Woodcraft Tenacious

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

Western Diamondback with a Texas State Quarter. For some reason after I think I've figured something out and have a procedure down something happens and everything's out the window. I've done snakeskins for a long time and at first I didn't have many problems at all. Then a little over a year ago I couldn't cast a snake to save my life. I've been working on different methods from tanning to different resins. I contacted Monty in Houston and talk to him about it and he gave me a few tips and I think I'm back in the saddle once again. Thanks Monty for your time and input. It's been frustrating to say the least.

Attachments

• 6279805A-801F-4E0C-97B7-3BE00E4413C1.jpeg
    6279805A-801F-4E0C-97B7-3BE00E4413C1.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 349
  • BF01EFC9-ED8E-415C-9262-BE3F32D6F893.jpeg
    BF01EFC9-ED8E-415C-9262-BE3F32D6F893.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 354
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Kenny Durrant

That's a cool idea to cast a quarter with the snake skin ... I think you have made a really good job of that one !!

That "Tenacious" pen kit looks to be the same as the Berea "Blade" kit ... do you know if that is correct ?

Kenny Durrant

It is the same as the Blade. I purchased the Blade first and they sent the wrong bushings. I called and they told me what the bushings they sent fit and to keep them. They also sent the correct bushings. I couldn't stand the wait and it just so happened the Woodcraft store here just received their Tenacious kits the day before. I bought the Tenacious bushings and all went well. The quarter on the snakeskin wasn't my idea to start with. Several years back I saw a long click from Seamus that I liked. Not sure if he was the first but that's where I got, stole, the idea from. Bending the coin wasn't too bad. I drilled a few different sized holes in a block of wood. Then cut the holes in half to make half moon troughs. Bend the coin by hand around a punch to get it started and straight then lay it in the block and start tapping it down with a hammer.

Kenny Durrant

I forgot to answer the question about how to mount the quarter. Depending on the size of the tube, if the coin will wrap around enough I just let it spring on it own and that has worked out well. If it doesn't I just put a few drops of glue in a few spots to hold it in place.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks to all for the kind words. I've always enjoyed the outdoors so when I started turning I like the outdoorsy type of pens. I know the snakeskin pens aren't for everyone but you have to admit they're a great conversation starter.

howsitwork

Kenny

I assume the snake skin is then pressure cast with resin otherwise I am even more in awe of the casting to avoid bubbles in the set up. Sorry it's an obvious question but if you don't ask you do t get to know for sure.

thanks Ian

Top Bottom