Wood tool chest for pen storage?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

I use it mainly for storage and display at home (I don't do shows). It is well built and a good product for the cost.
I was able to find pen trays for the drawers somewhere on line. Don't remember, but I'll see if I can find the address.
Sorry no pic but I'll try to get one as soon as I can.
gordon

Last edited:
Back when I was doing mostly pen shows, that's what I carried my inventory in... I have one that my sons gave me for father's day about 12-14 years back... still sits in my den/office, but don't use it so much any more... I had almost as many people want to buy the tool box as my pens...:biggrin::biggrin:

Rockytime

This chest is often on sale. However, they always are slightly different. Some were made with an MDF type material. The one on sale now is, I believe, all hardwood. I looked at it Friday and was impressed. I think it is a great buy. It is a Gerstner knock-off.

beck3906

Subscribe to Gerstner emails. They have an international brand (meaning cheap knock-offs). I bought the 533 for $233 with $1.08 shipping during their birthday sale a few days ago. They run a seconds sale where they discount the chests with finish flaws.

sbell111

Has anybody repurposed this harbor frieght tool chest for pen storage. I need to look at the drawer sizes but it intrigues me.

Wood Tool Chest w/ 8 Wood Tool Drawers

Don't tell whatshisname, but I did a search and located these two threads:

this one and

this one.

I've often considered picking one of these up to use as a carry mule for show pens. I haven't because 1) I'm lazy and 2) I'm not sure that it would work for the quantity of pens that we take to shows.

Edited to add that I see that Kent got 156 pens in his so it would definitely work for us for all but our largest shows. I guess I have to fall back on my 'lazy' excuse as my reason for not pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I'll go check it out at the store.

I'd have to figure out buying trays or making inserts somehow.

I want them to look right in the drawers :)

Thanks all.

southernclay

There is a 25% off coupon on retailmenot. Jut threw it in the cart to try it and it works. $59.99

41341964 is code

Adding this to the list of to buy for sure.

Last edited:
So I read this thread last night and visited my local Harbor Freight store today. They had the tool chest. It was on sale. And they honored the coupon code (above).

Got it home and unpacked it. Made in China (go figure!). First impressions: If it was looks I was concerned about, I'd make a special trip back to the store to return it. It's a God-awful greenish color, not a "Gerstner red". Kind of like fresh cut poplar wood but not as pretty. Ugh.

Fit & finish is fair. At best. On the positive side the 8 drawers are on wood runners. But there's slop in the fit. The drawers are deep enough for pens and should be able to hold well over 100 pens (my criteria) of different sizes (I don't do Slimlines). Don't know what the depth would be with a purchased pen tray.

Joinery is what I'd expect - butt joints and glue/nails. Some stub tenon & groove in the case. Three toggles hold the top closed. They strike me as light weight but they'll do. A drop down shelf that slides into the case covers the drawer fronts for storage and transport. There are 2 locks that hold the top & shelf closed. Unnecessary. I'd prefer just some form of latch. Anyone who wants what's inside can walk off with the whole thing.

There are 2 large drawers 7 3/16" x 17 3/4" wide x 1 3/4" deep. The six (6) small drawers are 7 3/16" x 8" wide x 15/16" deep. There is a top shelf that is 9 1/8" x 18 3/4" wide x 2 5/8" deep. The top adds additional depth if you stack stuff, but not much (didn't measure). All the drawers and the top shelf are felt lined.

I'm pretty cheap but on sale ($99.99 marked down to $79.99) with an add'l 25% off ($20) with a coupon makes this a decent buy at $60. Looking forward to seeing if I can get pen trays AND pens in there.

Oh, by the way, there's a mirror inside the lid so you can check your makeup. They call it a "machinists safety mirror".

Last edited:

plano_harry

Looks like for max storage the best combo would be some trays from gopens for slims and pendora for full size. Both offer green if that is what the box comes in.

PTsideshow

I had 3 of them, wife snatched one to put her jewelry making toys in, Amazon had a smaller version that the wife has two of for her jewelry boxes. I also have a small one that I use for all my locksmithing tools in.

If you shop for anything at Harbor Freight. Book mark this link it is a wiki thread for the HF coupons. Current 25% off is good to 12/5/14 and has all the freebies coupons
Harbor Freight Coupon Thread 04-02-2009 - Slickdeals.net
The scissors and gloves aren't even worth the ink to print them out to get them free!
You will have to scroll down towards the bottom of the page for the coupon jpeg's The local store takes them on the phone two.

If you have a store close, Buy the chest take it out to the car and open the box and look at it. If you don't like it take it right back in and get a refund! after all they have one of the better refund policies around.

They are tools and items designed for the home owner, the power tools are not made for industrial use 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

My only connection to HF is a 40 year customer when he started sell surplus container loads of nuts,bolts and hardware from ads in the back of Popular mech mag's

Lowes had them and the small ones during the Christmas selling season. They also had the wood base for them a couple years back. They sold them out in two hours of putting them on the floor. I missed out because I went to get something else and when I got back up front they were all gone!
:clown:

Top Bottom