Wood scraps for the BBQ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Went to smoke some ribs last night. Both bags of hickory and mesquite chips were empty. So I went down to the basement and picked up some scraps from the last time I was cutting blanks - some Maple and Beech. Not necessarily the best flavor/taste, but better than nothing.

I also have some black walnut scraps, but wasn't sure of it was safe to use.

What wood scraps do you use to smoke some ribs?

What wood scraps aren't safe to use?

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhbeauford

I use mesquite, cherry, apple, pecan, hickory. High tannin woods like the oaks will be very bitter. Mesquite and cherry tend to be sweeter than others in my opinion.

Ed McDonnell

I wouldn't use tropical hardwoods because many of them contain compounds to discourage all the tropical bugs, which is unlikely to do anything good for smoked meat.

I wouldn't use spalted woods. Burning will kill any fungus, but who knows what unsavory by products result from burning / smoking fungus? Have you ever heard of fungus smoked ribs? :eek: I haven't and there are probably a lot of reasons why.

Then again, in parts of the world they cook their food over dung fires. Good for them. Not for me.

When I smoke I only use mesquite (beef), hickory (pork, poultry, reptile, amphibian) or alder (fish). I've tried maple and fruitwoods (apple, cherry) but don't like them as much. I've pulled wood from the smoker pile to make pens, but I've never pulled wood from the workshop to smoke food. That's the way it should be in my opinion. :wink:

Ed

MichaelD

I'll use any fruit or nut wood but apple or pecan are favored if I have it. Pecan is abundant down here. I've had no problem with walnut but I don't have allergies to it and been around no one with any either.

lyonsacc

When I smoke I only use mesquite (beef), hickory (pork, poultry, reptile, amphibian) or alder (fish). I've tried maple and fruitwoods (apple, cherry) but don't like them as much. I've pulled wood from the smoker pile to make pens, but I've never pulled wood from the workshop to smoke food. That's the way it should be in my opinion. :wink:

Ed

The only reason the wood was still in my workshop was because I don't always pick up the way I should:rolleyes:. It was stuff I couldn't use due to size or cracks.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I only use pecan for all my grilling & smoking. Lots of folks in these parts use mesquite, but I much prefer pecan.

Kenny Durrant

I was told any fruit or nut wood would work but my faverite is mesquite. Yes when I cut cooking wood I also look for turning wood. The only thing is that the cooking wood is normaly straight and plain so I look close at the bends and forks. As far as being bitter I think the key is making sure it's dry. I never use any green wood.

Here's a short listing of wood chip uses by species

APOLOGIES FOR THE ADD,

Have a Green Egg, Almost had to find a new home over it day 1, after day 2 she now owns it, no problem. She's in charge. All is good!

Domain not properly configured

I'm sure there is a more complete source somewhere. This is something I think could be of some help.

Charlie

Top Bottom