Wood recommendation suggestions, please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BsdGolferBob

Good Saturday, everyone! I have a client that would like a very heavy, light colored wood for his pen & pencil set order. I thought I'd reach out to you fine folks for your suggestions. Many thanks. Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

For a domestic, heavy blonde wood, I would look towards Hickory. Followed by Maple, then Birch, Oak, and finally Elm.

Approximate specifications:

Hickory 50 lbs. / cubic foot, 1500 -1900 Janka Hardness
Maple 40 lbs. / cubic foot, 1000 - 1500 Janka Hardness
Birch 40 lbs. / cubic foot, 1000 - 1200 Janka Hardness
Oak 40 lbs. / cubic foot, 1000 - 1200 Janka Hardness
Elm 30 lbs. / cubic foot, 800 - 1000 Janka Hardness

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

MRDucks2

I agree with David, Hickory or Hard Maple for a domestic with the Maple being the easier of the two to work with.

jttheclockman

Good Saturday, everyone! I have a client that would like a very heavy, light colored wood for his pen & pencil set order. I thought I'd reach out to you fine folks for your suggestions. Many thanks. Bob
That is an odd request. Have to say there is no such thing in pen turning as heavy wood when you come down to final dimensions. Now if you are talking hardest wood for denting purposes then some of the ones pointed out will get you there. But you can have harder materials such as acrylics and also metals. If they want heft in the pen itself, then you can make that up in the size and style of kits.

PatrickR

That is an odd request. Have to say there is no such thing in pen turning as heavy wood when you come down to final dimensions. Now if you are talking hardest wood for denting purposes then some of the ones pointed out will get you there. But you can have harder materials such as acrylics and also metals. If they want heft in the pen itself, then you can make that up in the size and style of kits.
X2 - the kit makes most of the weight. I would steer them towards a light colored wood that pleases them.

Top Bottom