Wood identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twelverobots

Hi all,

I am new here. I hope I am putting this in the right place, if not, feel free to set me straight.

I am also new to pen turning, and woodworking in general, so I have much to learn. One thing I struggle with is wood identification, and the inexpensive sets that I buy don't have labels. I expect I am not the only one to have this problem.

Anyway, I am hoping someone can tell me what kind of wood is in my pen here. I know the endcaps are purpleheart, and I don't care what the veneers running through it are. I just want to figure out what the main wood of the pen is.

1646698093626.png

1646698126579.png

1646698166656.png

Any help is appreciated.

Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

twelverobots

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate your wisdom on such matters. Oak it is. Red, white, live, not sure it matters.

Jason

leehljp

Member Liaison
The grain does not look like oak to me, it is too smooth for oak grain. The "color" is similar to oak but the grain is not like oak. The grain looks like padauk but the color is wrong. More light on the pen would have helped. Padauk has a smooth grain with long dark veins, but as I said, the color is wrong for padauk, which would be orangish.

Top Bottom