Wood Identification Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
2015 Summer Extravaganza - Wood ID Contest​

The Universal Contest Rules apply. You can find and read them Here

When the contest starts, I will post a photo of 10 pen blanks (numbered 1-10) and a list of woods.

The list will contain more names than there are blanks. Your challenge is to determine which 10 of the woods are represented in the blanks and match them up.

Simply reply to the contest thread with a post listing the numbers 1-10 (corresponding to the number of the 10 blanks) along with your guess for the ID of that blank - like so:
1 Cootamundra Wattle
2 Black Wattle
3 Silver Wattle
etc

You may post only one entry and you may not edit your post. Any edited entries will be disqualified and if you make more than one entry, only your first one will be accepted.

You will earn one point for each correct guess. The entry with the most points wins. Any ties will be broken based on the earliest entry.

The contest will run for approximately 2 weeks. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be announced at the end of the contest.

Prizes (if any) will be announced later.

We do have Prizes!
First Place ...from Classic Nib a $50.00 Gift Certificate
Second Place ..from Brownfan2 a Jr Gent set of Abalone Blanks. $50.00
Third Place ..from Edohmann himself a box of blanks!

If you have any questions you may post them here or send me a PM.

Good Luck.

Edgar

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Oh great, the contest I love to hate...

Seems like I can't get them right, but it sure is fun trying! Maybe I should just donate a box of mystery wood blanks for the winners....maybe they will be able to identify what unknown blanks I have sitting around.

Of course with the list of woods given, I just might win by pure chance.

robutacion

When the contest starts, I will post a photo of 10 pen blanks (numbered 1-10) and a list of woods.

The list will contain more names than there are blanks. Your challenge is to determine which 10 of the woods are represented in the blanks and match them up.

Simply reply to the contest thread with a post listing the numbers 1-10 (corresponding to the number of the 10 blanks) along with your guess for the ID of that blank - like so:
1 Cootamundra Wattle
2 Black Wattle
3 Silver Wattle
etc

You may post only one entry and you may not edit your post. Any edited entries will be disqualified and if you make more than one entry, only your first one will be accepted.

You will earn one point for each correct guess. The entry with the most points wins. Any ties will be broken based on the earliest entry.

The contest will run for approximately 2 weeks. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be announced at the end of the contest.

Good Luck.

Edgar

Oh boy...! you want me to disqualify myself for this one, right...???:wink::biggrin: better that way...!

What is all that about "Prizes (if any) will be announced later."....???:rolleyes::) can't you find someone that can provide a couple of prizes for this contest..??? you should be ashamed of yourself...!:eek:

Back to my corner...!

Cheers
George

bobleibo

COMPLAINT !!!

Hey! How come Edgar keeps getting to run the contests that drive us all nuts?
First the puzzle contest (I gave up!) and now this!
Edgar, who are you paying off and how much? Has to be less than you cost me to see my shrink afterwards !

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

1 Cootamundra Wattle
2 Black Wattle
3 Silver Wattle
etc

Good Luck.

Edgar

Oh boy...! you want me to disqualify myself for this one, right...???:wink::biggrin: better that way...!

What is all that about "Prizes (if any) will be announced later."....???:rolleyes::) can't you find someone that can provide a couple of prizes for this contest..??? you should be ashamed of yourself...!:eek:

Back to my corner...!

Cheers
George

I just think that "wattle" is almost as much fun as "sassafras" :)

I am hoping that there will be some prizes for this contest - if not, I will at least send the winner one of the blanks that I got from you. So, if you'd like a chance to get one of your blanks back.........:biggrin::biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hey! How come Edgar keeps getting to run the contests that drive us all nuts?
First the puzzle contest (I gave up!) and now this!
Edgar, who are you paying off and how much? Has to be less than you cost me to see my shrink afterwards !

Hey, if I gave out that info, someone might outbid my bribes. :wink:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Oh great, the contest I love to hate...

Seems like I can't get them right, but it sure is fun trying! Maybe I should just donate a box of mystery wood blanks for the winners....maybe they will be able to identify what unknown blanks I have sitting around.

Of course with the list of woods given, I just might win by pure chance.

Then again, the list will be longer than the number of blanks, so random guesses probably won't cut it. :devil::devil:

SteveJ

Random guesses will probably be better than my "educated" guesses...

Just saying, I'm not too good at wood identification - I gave up on George's games and you could guess hundreds of times (and I did - but I still couldn't win).

But it sure is fun watching!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Prizes have been added to the Contest Rules, make sure you thank the Vendors for their generous donations.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I would like to offer my thanks to Classic Nib and Brownfan2 for their generous donations to the Wood ID Contest. And also to that Edohmann guy too - I hear that there just might be some very special pieces of Texas wood in that box.

Top Bottom