Wood ID

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmiller

Hi all, time for everyone's favorite game: Identify that Wood. Any ideas on these? The first three are the same board: the white part with black streaks (sapwood?) turns into the red bit with knots and stuff which turns into the plain looking red grain. Both boards are supposed to be hardwood from Brazil in the 1990s. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Mystery wood 1a.jpg
    Mystery wood 1a.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Mystery wood 1b.jpg
    Mystery wood 1b.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 148
  • Mystery wood 1c.jpg
    Mystery wood 1c.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Mystery wood 2.jpg
    Mystery wood 2.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

Ha! It does look like a bear!

I have guesses: the last photo sure looks like black palm, and my guess for the other is garapa: https://www.wood-database.com/garapa/

Now, as a disclaimer, when the BASH puzzles are done I predict Edgar will out me as the worst wood identifier in the IAP. šŸ˜‰. I wish I knew for sure and could help better.
Russ

sorcerertd

Black Palm was my first thought and I can't think of anything else (not that I'm an expert) that looks similar, but I believe that is native to S. Africa. Doesn't mean it couldn't have gone from S. Africa to S. America, then here. Or I could be completely wrong.

That bear is just begging to be stabilized and turned, though.

greenacres2

Fourth picture looks like some Brazilian Cherry i've used. Very dense, not at all like black palm. Much easier to turn as well.
earl

wrjones224

The second picture to me looks like it could be Paraju. It is a very popular wood in Brazil. Not certain.

cmiller

Todd, thanks for scaring everyone, especially me šŸ˜²
Thanks for your guesses. There was a lot of jatoba where I got this stuff, maybe board 1 is just a weird piece of jatoba. It's frustrating to not know.

Top Bottom